Author Topic: AI Cruise Control  (Read 185 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
AI Cruise Control
« on: May 04, 2023, 07:38:41 AM »
I thought that this was an interesting potential application for AI:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ai-powered-cruise-control-stop-phantom-traffic-jams

I haven't run into a "phantom" traffic jam since I moved to Idaho, but man, I used to run into them at least once a week in CA.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: AI Cruise Control
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 09:25:53 AM »
But if this system slowed me down, someone is going cut in front of me.   =D     I am sort of in favor of giving AI driving to the idiot up ahead who slammed on the brakes because someone in the other lane slowed down. 

My truck has following radar with the cruise control.  I have learned to like it when on sparely populated roads.  Doesn't work as well when traffic gets thicker.  If someone cuts in front of you it wants to brake to maintain following distance which is annoying when you are trying to get through a knot in traffic where slow drivers are piled up around an 18 wheeler.  I end up turning it off in traffic.  It would be interesting if you can turn it on in bumper to bumper traffic and set it to maintain a car length or so.  Remove some of the headache of dealing with that sort of thing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge