Author Topic: Eleven avalanche deaths so far in Colorado  (Read 431 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Eleven avalanche deaths so far in Colorado
« on: April 30, 2023, 09:18:44 PM »
Snowpack getting warm = wet, heavy, weak, slippery, suddenly obeying gravity.

Impact.

Not that gently getting buried by tons and tons of unbreathable suspensions of powdered snow is better.  Some rescuees mention they could not tell up from down when buried.

I also expect to see more rescues (sometimes) of people, pets, and livestock crunching through the thinning ice.

Spring is sprung, de grass is riz
I wunda where da boidies is
De boidies, dey is on de wing...
Absoid!  Da wing is on de boid!

(Doggerel I loined in eighth grade and has stuck wit' me.)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 09:49:23 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Eleven avalanche deaths so far in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 08:57:29 AM »
Be careful. 

I guess hurricane season starts back up in another month down here.  No matter where you are there is something to watch out for.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 12:51:14 PM »
Be careful. 

I guess hurricane season starts back up in another month down here.  No matter where you are there is something to watch out for.

I was thinking of adding a "Liberal's Logic" example like the Global Warming "Hockeystick" logic for that one:

"Why, that's 2.75 deaths per month!  We'll have 33 deaths by December !  That's terrible! !  We should outlaw avalanches !  The numbers don't lie! !"

Then there's the ever-popular:

"We had a high of 20° yesterday and 21° today... that's one degree per day! !  That means we'll be at 265° by the end of the year! ! We should outlaw thermometers! ! The science is- settled! !"

;/  >:D

But I figured that would trivialize the danger, so I didn't.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 01:08:41 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 02:27:30 PM »
South Park - Global Warming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTAGA3sdNL4

The "context" youtube added makes it funnier.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 07:41:23 PM »
Snowpack getting warm = wet, heavy, weak, slippery, suddenly obeying gravity.

Impact.

Not that gently getting buried by tons and tons of unbreathable suspensions of powdered snow is better.  Some rescuees mention they could not tell up from down when buried.

I also expect to see more rescues (sometimes) of people, pets, and livestock crunching through the thinning ice.

Spring is sprung, de grass is riz
I wunda where da boidies is
De boidies, dey is on de wing...
Absoid!  Da wing is on de boid!

(Doggerel I loined in eighth grade and has stuck wit' me.)

Terry, 230RN

I read that as "I wonder where the bodies is", which is a bit morbid but made sense after the avalanches.  Was confused ever so briefly when I got to the boidies and wings part, but I figured it out  :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 09:53:58 PM »
I read that as "I wonder where the bodies is", which is a bit morbid but made sense after the avalanches.  Was confused ever so briefly when I got to the boidies and wings part, but I figured it out  :laugh:

I guess I'm showing my age. I recognized 230RN's doggerel immediately. Heard it years and years ago. You kids seem to have missed out on a lot ...  >:D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 06:05:16 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 10:03:35 PM »
I guess I'm showing my age. I recognized 230RN's doggerel immediately. Heard it years and years ago. You kids seem to missed out on a lot ...  >:D

I thought the 3rd line was "I wonder where the flowers is" and that was the end of it.  (Ogden Nash?)
"It's good, though..."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 04:17:07 PM »
I was thinking of adding a "Liberal's Logic" example like the Global Warming "Hockeystick" logic for that one:

"Why, that's 2.75 deaths per month!  We'll have 33 deaths by December !  That's terrible! !  We should outlaw avalanches !  The numbers don't lie! !"

Then there's the ever-popular:

"We had a high of 20° yesterday and 21° today... that's one degree per day! !  That means we'll be at 265° by the end of the year! ! We should outlaw thermometers! ! The science is- settled! !"

;/  >:D

But I figured that would trivialize the danger, so I didn't.

Terry, 230RN

Everyone knows that any time an assault weapon is fired in Colorado, the massive concussion causes an avalanche.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 10:52:20 AM »
Everyone knows that any time an assault weapon is fired in Colorado, the massive concussion causes an avalanche.

Verrrry good l  LOL. I may use that.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 11:27:24 AM »

I'm waiting on the carbon emissions report
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 10:43:36 PM »
It is "safer" to water ski as you float if you go down and aren't "buried alive".
Yeah, you can drown but as long as you're wearing a life belt/jacket or put a little effort into swimming, that won't happen.
No matter what you do, there is almost nothing you can do to avoid being killed in an avalanche.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”