Author Topic: Small Nuclear Reactor  (Read 748 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Small Nuclear Reactor
« on: May 08, 2023, 01:32:46 PM »
Westinghouse has developed a small nuclear reactor, capable of powering 300,000 homes. This is kinda in 50s scifi territory, where every homeowner has a nuclear reactor.  =)

I wonder if gov regulations will let them further develop, and actually implement this? It sure is a heck of a lot smaller than a solar or wind farm that would provide the same capacity.

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/us-firm-unveils-game-changing-small-nuclear-reactor
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
Re: Small Nuclear Reactor
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 01:56:16 PM »
I've read about a few plans for small reactors but don't know of anyone building anything.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 02:11:55 PM »
General Atomics builds small non-power reactors for use around the world for research, medical isotopes, etc. Back in the day Kodak had a small non-power reactor in Rochester, NY. It is about time the small power nukes have come about. Now if the .gov will just let them be free to research and build.

bob

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 02:15:03 PM »
This isn’t even worth wasting time thinking about. You all know the insane environuts will file lawsuits immediately to stop anything like this.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 02:39:25 PM »
Small nuclear reactors have been in service since 1955 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nautilus_(SSN-571) ). 68+ years of technological development and advances should have given us universal neighborhood nuclear power by now.
 :mad: :mad:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 03:34:39 PM »
Glad someone is still working on this concept.  One day we might actually use it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 04:40:12 PM »
This isn’t even worth wasting time thinking about. You all know the insane environuts will file lawsuits immediately to stop anything like this.

This is very true, at least in the USA.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 06:20:45 PM »
Most of the environut stuff has grown from Europe, where the USSR bankrolled the heck out of the greenies to oppose nuclear power, with the long-term goal of cornering the market on the power generation...
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2023, 06:54:24 PM »

Of course, and they'll also sue to stop wind farms, because they might impact swallows or chickadees. And they'll protest solar farms because ___. And they'll protest new hydroelectric because of the fish. And they'll protest tidal electric because of the clams and the lobsters.

In short, they won't be happy until we're back living in the stone age.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2023, 08:15:26 PM »
Is small good?

I thought for things like power plants, economies of scale meant that bigger is better. I mean that's how it is for windmills anyway.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2023, 08:49:49 PM »
There is a reason the smart aliens don't stop here. They had nuclear and now they are back to windmills? We get the dumb ones that think the cows run the world.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2023, 09:09:48 PM »
This is kinda in 50s scifi territory, where every homeowner has a nuclear reactor.  =)

Watch a couple of Just Rolled In videos and you wouldn't want 99.9999% of the population anywhere near a nuclear reactor.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2023, 09:14:43 PM »
Of course, and they'll also sue to stop wind farms, because they might impact swallows or chickadees. And they'll protest solar farms because ___. And they'll protest new hydroelectric because of the fish. And they'll protest tidal electric because of the clams and the lobsters.

In short, they won't be happy until we're back living in the stone age.
They will be against something then also.  It is there nature of their personality. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2023, 11:40:51 PM »
I want to see the Thorium and other secondary byproduct reactors get their chance.  They don't all have to be plutonium producers.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2023, 01:42:49 AM »
Apart from the above all-too-obvious "general disruption tactic" of the Greenies and Reddies...

Small nuclear reactors have been in service since 1955 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Nautilus_(SSN-571) ). 68+ years of technological development and advances should have given us universal neighborhood nuclear power by now.
 :mad: :mad:

Yeah, I thought we even had atomic power plants in some of the satellites and hyperspace probes.  They ran on the heat of decay to power either thermopiles or high-pressure helium Stirling engines.  Standard tech.

Not sure why they were unsuitable for home use, but they had to be small and light.

I can see why the development of a small nuclear weapon ("Davy Crockett") was a bit of a challenge, but to just continuously extract heat from atomic reactions was pretty SOP.

So I'm not sure why there's a "buzz" about small reactors.  I was also told semi officially back in the seventies that there were lots of pocket nuclear power plants distributed around the country.  I won't guarantee the source validity, though.
 :cool:

So what gives?  Slow news day?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 02:35:20 AM by 230RN »

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2023, 02:19:32 AM »
Is small good?

I thought for things like power plants, economies of scale meant that bigger is better. I mean that's how it is for windmills anyway.

Bigger is more efficient (economies of scale).  A network of smaller generators is more robust (redundancy).  I kinda like a combination of the two.  I am not an expert, and am speaking *very* generally here.
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2023, 02:40:54 AM »
^ Like.  One of our major vulnerabilities here is the centralization of too many critical things.  Just think what life would be like if a Tallboy were dropped at the corner of Broad and Wall in Manhattan.

Or in the center of the garment district... why, we wouldn't have any more clothes !

« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 02:53:34 AM by 230RN »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2023, 11:18:50 AM »
Apart from the above all-too-obvious "general disruption tactic" of the Greenies and Reddies...

Yeah, I thought we even had atomic power plants in some of the satellites and hyperspace probes.  They ran on the heat of decay to power either thermopiles or high-pressure helium Stirling engines.  Standard tech.

Not aware of any hyperspace probes... but most satellites that go to Jupiter or farther out in the solar system eschew solar panels for an RTG powerplant.  The Mars rovers also had RTG's on board.  All of these systems put out less than 500 watts, though.  Pretty anemic.  Curiosity and Perseverence on Mars can only generate 110 watts of electrical power, on top of about 2000 watts of heat energy.  The Voyager RTG's were spec'ed to put out 160 watts but are very old now and putting out far less than that today.  New Horizons and its peer satellites are running on 300 watt RTG's.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2023, 11:35:26 AM »
Bigger is more efficient (economies of scale).  A network of smaller generators is more robust (redundancy).  I kinda like a combination of the two.  I am not an expert, and am speaking *very* generally here.
Bigger is subjective to some extent.  The article mentioned 100 MW or 300 MW power plants.  While that is pretty big, you would still need a network of them around the country paired with natural gas or coal to handle fluctuations.

I would love to have something more like one of Heinlein's Shipstones, but it would work.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2023, 07:08:39 PM »
Not aware of any hyperspace probes... but most satellites that go to Jupiter or farther out in the solar system eschew solar panels for an RTG powerplant.  The Mars rovers also had RTG's on board.  All of these systems put out less than 500 Watts, though.  Pretty anemic.  Curiosity and Perseverence on Mars can only generate 110 Watts of electrical power, on top of about 2000 Watts of heat energy.  The Voyager RTG's were spec'ed to put out 160 Watts but are very old now and putting out far less than that today.  New Horizons and its peer satellites are running on 300 watt RTG's.

Sorry, meant "interstellar," forgetting that "hyperspace" was a Trek term.

RTF = "Radioisotope thermoelectric generator"

"Curiosity and Perseverence on Mars can only generate 110 Watts of electrical power, on top of about 2000 Watts of heat energy. "

Not clear on what you meant there: Power production was 2000 Watts, but we're only capturing 110 Watts of it?  So, 5% efficiency is not bad for something designed to be light and small, rather than efficient, i guess. If that's what you mean.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2023, 07:22:19 PM »
Or, you can get a bunch of people together or go solo and try a DIY for the house. ;)

https://allthatsinteresting.com/david-hahn

bob

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2023, 11:38:49 AM »
Sorry, meant "interstellar," forgetting that "hyperspace" was a Trek term.

RTF = "Radioisotope thermoelectric generator"

"Curiosity and Perseverence on Mars can only generate 110 Watts of electrical power, on top of about 2000 Watts of heat energy. "

Not clear on what you meant there: Power production was 2000 Watts, but we're only capturing 110 Watts of it?  So, 5% efficiency is not bad for something designed to be light and small, rather than efficient, i guess. If that's what you mean.

My understanding is they basically produce power with no moving parts.  You have the loving soft warm glow of radioactive decay, which you surround with TECs (Thermoelectric Couplers).  TECs generate electricity as heat is transferred from one side to the other, but are not very efficient at all.  I played with TECs a few years ago when I experimented with building my own custom dimension fermentation cooler, and used TECs to cool refrigerant and expelled the waste heat through radiators and fans.  Used a lot of electricity in order to inefficiently move a little bit of heat.

The space implementations just have large radiators on the outside of the TECs rather than liquid cooled passages and pumps like my home very non-space-worthy application.  The more heat saturated a TEC gets, the less efficiently it operates.  In a thin or nonexistent atmosphere with radiation as your only means of shedding heat, heat sinks are not very efficient and TECs get heat saturated.
--Lysander Spooner

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2023, 12:23:34 PM »
We have opportunity for economy of scale with solar or wind, without doing giant, but strangely photogenic, solar/wind farms...

If they would encourage outfits with lots of roof space (factories/warehouses/retail) to do on-site installs... Plus, we've got a lot of locations that could hook in as microgenerators.

But politicians like BIG things. Like railroads... Fixing a pothole? Not that big... Nuclear and hydro could do a great deal of picking up nighttime/calm slack. But a single windmill, not even all that high-tech, could keep Farmer John's barn running to pump well water, etc...

Back before Mother Earth News went and got off the rails political, they had so many small projects...
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2023, 12:37:55 PM »
Watch a couple of Just Rolled In videos and you wouldn't want 99.9999% of the population anywhere near a nuclear reactor.
In something very closely related and on-point . . . I suggest you read H. Beam Piper's story, Day of the Moron.   https://www.gutenberg.org/files/18949/18949-h/18949-h.htm
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2023, 12:50:35 PM »
We have opportunity for economy of scale with solar or wind, without doing giant, but strangely photogenic, solar/wind farms...

I have always said that solar works best as distributed energy. As long as it's not through force of government, solar roofs on houses, using an existing footprint, make a ton of sense.

If the usual suspects had been pushing that instead of ginormous desert solar farms, with their energy loss through long distribution networks, you could by now probably do solar roofs for the same cost as good quality comp roofs.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."