Author Topic: Ball caps at the range?  (Read 528 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Ball caps at the range?
« on: May 09, 2023, 09:47:20 PM »
In looking up available defensive shooting classes, I've noticed that a couple of them advised students to wear a ball cap. Just noticed the same thing in the rules for one of the indoor ranges. Advised; not necessarily required.

Is that to protect you from your neighbor's brass? Or to shield yourself from glare?

Or is it so everyone looks like a team out there, as per the principles of Rex Kwan Do?

Coincidentally, I have recently become convert to the cult of the ball cap. Never wore them before, except for occasionally sporting a MAGA hat. I've started wearing camo ball caps now, though. (And, no, I'm not going bald, or getting thin.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Ball caps at the range?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 09:51:47 PM »
(And, no, I'm not going bald, or getting thin.)

Yet

And I vote to protect you from brass
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 09:58:59 PM »

Is that to protect you from your neighbor's brass? Or to shield yourself from glare?

Yes.

Also keeps your own brass from falling between your shooting glasses and the bridge of your nose or your eyebrow.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 11:11:09 PM »
I've worn a ball cap of some kind since the late '70s. Then it was part style and part sun protection. Now I very rarely walk out the door without a hat of some kind on my head, mostly to keep from getting the bald spot sunburned. If I'm working outside in the sun for any length of time I wear a mil-surp boonie or a straw cowboy hat. Didn't do that last week and sunburned the top of my ears.

Almost 20 years ago I started wearing this style of cap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OSKR6U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 11:48:50 PM »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 05:38:52 AM »
All my life I hated wearing any kind of hat unless the weather was bad.  Then discovered the advantage of having 50 milliseconds of warning before bumping my head on things like trunk lids and engine hoods.

Before I grew a ponytail the hat brim was useful for preventing a sunburn on the back of my neck while bicycle riding.  Traded off each, a ponytail, a ball hat on backwards, and a burnoose, from time to time to prevent that.

Still hate hats, but as I get balder, they're more of a necessity.

Funny, I spotted a guy with his brim in back, shading his eyes from the late afternoon sun with his hand.  Took me a minute to "get" the humor of that.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 07:38:24 AM »
I ALWAYS wear a ball cap while shooting, indoors or out. I didn't years ago and had a 9mm case bounce off a partition wall and lodge behind my glasses.

By the time I was able to get it loose it had raised a nice blister on my eye lid that was INCREDIBLY painful.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 07:53:36 AM »
I like to wear a Pickelhaube when I go to the range. Extra head protection, and the spike work perfectly as a gas block tool if I have to change the gas setting on my rifle.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 08:36:19 AM »
I got a piece of brass behind my glasses once.  First degree burn near my eye brow.  I can't remember if I was wearing a hat that time. 

While I think brass is a bigger reason, another reason my be to keep lead and powder stuff off your hair as much as possible.  Depending on the air system at the range and how many people are shooting, some ranges can get a lot of smoke floating around.  Probably not a big deal one time.

Years ago I used to shoot at a range in Houston that was cheap to shoot.  When it was crowded there, it was smoky as hell to the point you would hack up some crap afterward. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 09:00:59 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 09:00:17 AM »
As someone who started going bald in his early 20's, I have a large collection of hats. I usually prefer something with a brim all the way around so that my neck and ears don't get burned or rained on. For outdoor recreation and travel, I am partial to Tilley hats.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 09:08:43 AM »
I liked my Tilley hat but they quit making it. I found that out when my hat was damaged and I looked to replace it.
 :mad: 
  =(
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 10:39:21 AM »
I like to wear a Pickelhaube when I go to the range. Extra head protection, and the spike work perfectly as a gas block tool if I have to change the gas setting on my rifle.

And here I thought you only wore that because everyone else is doing it.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 12:28:00 PM »

:eyeroll:

If you have to adjust things that often, maybe you should just settle on one particular loading of your ammo. LOL

Pickelhaube, Pickelhaube, Pickelhaube...

It is fun to say, though.

Still another kind of Pickelhaube:

Can I have my ten bucks now that you promised me if I brought up "Pickelhaube" again? =D

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 12:29:51 PM »
Pickle Hat for the range...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 12:30:54 PM »

MSM: Look at the Nazi!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2023, 12:51:26 PM »
I liked my Tilley hat but they quit making it. I found that out when my hat was damaged and I looked to replace it.
 :mad: 
  =(
Did they not offer you a different model?
I love my Tilley hats. I have a beater for yard work and fishing and another one I keep nice for casual wear. I wore my first one to a faded and frayed remnant and they replaced it for just a shopping/handling fee.
And yes, I’m sure the suggestion is to decrease risk of brass behind eyewear. Not as serious but plenty uncomfortable is brass down the back or inside a shirt.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2023, 12:55:19 PM »
:eyeroll:
If you have to adjust things that often, maybe you should just settle on one particular loading of your ammo. LOL

Maybe you should stop being the gas block police.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2023, 01:43:32 PM »
Maybe you should stop being the gas block police.

What kind of haube do they wear?

I guess I should take my evidences of the ball cap guidance at various ranges/classes, and make some money from it, by writing an article for Slate. The gun culture you see, has a sinister plot to mainstream assault rifles and high-capacity, semi-automagic handguns, by associating them with the all-American ball cap. They even employ a colored person of color (with ties to the Trump-aligned NRA (Trump sold trucker hats, which are kind of like baseball caps – scary!)) to show off his collection of name-brand MLB logo hats, while shooting tactical, black guns. Then, we’ll take a tour of all the gun manufacturers that sell ball caps on their websites (where you can also buy fully-semi-automatic assault rifles, without a background check).

I’m pretty sure that’ll prove it. By Slate’s standards, anyway.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 02:04:30 PM by Perd Hapley »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2023, 02:02:44 PM »
Did they not offer you a different model?
I love my Tilley hats. I have a beater for yard work and fishing and another one I keep nice for casual wear. I wore my first one to a faded and frayed remnant and they replaced it for just a shopping/handling fee.
And yes, I’m sure the suggestion is to decrease risk of brass behind eyewear. Not as serious but plenty uncomfortable is brass down the back or inside a shirt.

Since the damage was due to my own fault I wouldn't be comfortable with any kind of "warranty" replacement. But, they no longer offer the style I liked so not super interested anyway.

Samuel Adams

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2023, 01:04:07 AM »
All my life I hated wearing any kind of hat unless the weather was bad.  Then discovered the advantage of having 50 milliseconds of warning before bumping my head on things like trunk lids and engine hoods.

So much THIS!

I have a nice collection of "newsboy" hats in different colors and materials.  Before I started wearing them almost all of the time, I had a constant "mark" right in the middle of the top of my nekkid scalp from the trunk latch.  The hats serve much the same purpose as a cat's whiskers... early warning.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2023, 12:54:07 PM »
I keep a "Scrambled Eggs" NRA ball cap in the car just in case I have to be out in the "outside" any length of time since going bald SO many years back! Once I got out of the Navy, I VERY seldom wore hats. Constant hat wearing for years will do that to ya.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!