Author Topic: How much would you like to tip your electronic kiosk today?  (Read 2535 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yeah, you read that correctly. Apparently more and more locations, including stores and not just restaurants, are adding a "How much do you want to tip" to their electronic kiosk checkouts.

Even though you don't interact with a human at all, you're still being asked to tip.

Some people have said that it feels like emotional blackmail. I wouldn't go that far. It's emotional blackmail when stores ask you to round up your purchase total to support their charity du jour. I rarely do that, but I will NEVER, under any circumstances, add a tip for a totally human free transaction, especially at store. If anything, those stores should be tipping ME.

And this bit just makes absolutely no sense to me... "Wolfe said research has shown that customers feel more obligated to tip using a machine  even if they haven't interacted with a human worker."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tipping-self-checkout-machine-customer-rule/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: How much would you like to tip your electronic kiosk today?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 08:01:07 AM »
I absolutely hate them as well. I mean, they're fine in restaurants, but I despise them in regular stores. The German store I go to has them. They have a deli too, and maybe they got them for that, but the regular checkout register for the store section also has them. Whenever I'm there, if the owner is doing the checkout, she always hits the "no tip" before she even turns the unit around for me. However when one of her employees is there, I have to do it myself, and even though I shouldn't, I feel like a shmuck when I hit "no tip" while they're watching me, even though there is zero reason for a tip.

This seems to have shown up everywhere since the stupid covid, when we were all told to "support the poor workers during the crisis". Now it seems to be expected everywhere for everything.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 08:13:27 AM »
"This seems to have shown up everywhere since the stupid covid, when we were all told to "support the poor workers during the crisis". Now it seems to be expected everywhere for everything."

Yep. I had a funny feeling that it was going to be with us to stay, and I was right.

To be honest, I didn't have as much problem tipping generously during COVID because I was fortunate -- my job was never threatened by the pandemic the way a lot of people's jobs were.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 08:59:04 AM »
I usually hit "no tip" myself.  I don't like being asked to add a tip before I get my food. 

How can I know if that "tip" actually gets paid out to the employees? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 09:02:13 AM »
I still think that when I use the self-checkout at Safeway or WalMart, I should get a 10% discount.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 09:03:00 AM »
How can I know if that "tip" actually gets paid out to the employees?

Good point. Not only that, but I more often than not tip in cash, even if I use a card to pay, just so the employee can pocket unreported income if they want to.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 09:06:26 AM »
I always try to tip cash even when paying with a card for the same reason Ben mentioned.
I do not tip vending machines though. A kiosk where there is no human interaction is just a fancy vending machine.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 09:24:12 AM »
I am a notoriously generous tipper... when the server is a person. If I'm dealing with a kiosk, I feel no obligation whatsoever to tip.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 09:53:39 AM »
Good point. Not only that, but I more often than not tip in cash, even if I use a card to pay, just so the employee can pocket unreported income if they want to.
Same here.

. . .
I do not tip vending machines though. A kiosk where there is no human interaction is just a fancy vending machine.
Amen to that.

I notice that more and more restaurants have a "suggested tip" printed on the bill that starts at 18% and goes up. Tip inflation, I guess . . . but on the other hand, sometimes they base the tip on the actual bill, without accounting for any coupons that might have been used. (Like for a free $10 dessert or appetizer.) That actually shorts the server - the waitress shouldn't be shorted because you used a coupon for a freebie.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 09:59:09 AM »
I notice that more and more restaurants have a "suggested tip" printed on the bill that starts at 18% and goes up. Tip inflation, I guess . . . but on the other hand, sometimes they base the tip on the actual bill, without accounting for any coupons that might have been used. (Like for a free $10 dessert or appetizer.) That actually shorts the server - the waitress shouldn't be shorted because you used a coupon for a freebie.

What galls me even more is the restaurants that include that 18% tip in your bill, then have the nerve to still insert a "tip" line on it. I know that I have fallen for that before, especially with my old eyes and the low lighting in restaurants, and servers have walked off with like a 50% tip.

https://youtu.be/W4f7KiiB6dM

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 10:11:08 AM »
I always try to tip cash even when paying with a card for the same reason Ben mentioned.

And that explains why so many people are killed by vending machines. Cheap bastards like you not tipping finally pushes them over the edge! :rofl:

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2023, 12:26:26 PM »
Hi. Retail guy here...

Past couple of years, I got maybe a two buck raise.

And food prices have damn near doubled.

I helps when someone says "keep the change" or flips me a few bucks after I install a battery or windshield wipers...
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2023, 12:51:58 PM »
Your server will be B40021Y7
I suggest you tip him very well

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2023, 01:55:45 PM »
I still think that when I use the self-checkout at Safeway or WalMart, I should get a 10% discount.

I agree. Maybe not 10 percent, but certainly a discount.

I'm amazed how many people sheep happily cruise through the self-checkout lanes at the supermarkets and the big box stores. These are the same people who are agitating for higher wages for mindless jobs, and they're not smart enough to see that by using the self-checkouts instead of boycotting them and causing long lines at the one or two manned (personned?) registers, they are only encouraging the stores to eliminate jobs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 02:06:49 PM »

I'm amazed how many people sheep happily cruise through the self-checkout lanes at the supermarkets and the big box stores. These are the same people who are agitating for higher wages for mindless jobs, and they're not smart enough to see that by using the self-checkouts instead of boycotting them and causing long lines at the one or two manned (personned?) registers, they are only encouraging the stores to eliminate jobs.

Wouldn't be surprised if the $ total of items not scanned in a self checkout would pay for a cashier in many Walmarts which means money wise it's probably a wash. Of course they probably consider it worth it not having to deal with the hassle of hiring and dealing with a living breathing human being with the common attitude many people have towards such jobs nowadays.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2023, 02:23:21 PM »
^ Hawkmoon...  Yes, and when the regular checkout stands are all closed they claim they're understaffed.

I used to be a pretty generous tipper until I found most of the time the tips were added to a general tip collection and divided up by the staff.

Kind of voidilated the purpose of the tip, no?

Now I tell my service person "This is between you and me, OK?" but I know it will be commingled anyhow.  Just makes me feel better, though.

---------------------

Sorta related, when I changed over to paperless bill paying, I discovered two of my creditors were charging me a small amount for the "convenience!" of automatic payments,

Double-checked in disbelief, but yes, they were adding a couple of bucks to the bill.

Seemed to me they should be giving me a discount because they are no longer having to humanly open my mailed-in checks to them and humanly process the checks by expensive humans.

Haven't bitched about it yet since I was considering changing those two service providers (car insurance and ISP) soon anyway and I am frying other fish right now.

Growl.  Snarl.  Bare teeth. 

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2023, 05:50:26 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen a tip box on a truly human free purchase.  The white swiveling tablet thingies they show pictures of in the article I've seen with too Glocks, but that's just the payment processing.  Someone is still making my coffee or baked good or burrito or whatever,  so that's who I'm tipping there.

Are the whole foods checkouts asking for tips now or something?

I happily cruise through self checkouts at the grocery store secure in the knowledge that swiping a few items is a small price to pay to not have to interact with either an apathetic Gen Z cashier, or someone splitting a huge purchase into 5 EBT transactions and $100 worth of malt liquor and cigarettes.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 08:48:27 AM by dogmush »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2023, 08:18:07 AM »
"Are the whole foods checkouts asking for tips now or something?"

From what I'm hearing, it's cropping up on a small number of some of the more boutique grocery stores.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2023, 08:40:40 AM »
And that explains why so many people are killed by vending machines. Cheap bastards like you not tipping finally pushes them over the edge! :rofl:
That must be why they would hang on to your bag of chips.  I hear they get real upset when you try to bang on it or tip it over to get it to release the bag.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2023, 08:54:51 AM »
From what I'm hearing, it's cropping up on a small number of some of the more boutique grocery stores.

Fox Business was covering it this morning. As I said, I've only run into it in what I guess would be "borderline" situations, like The German store using the same tablet for both the deli area, where people do things normally related to tips, and also the store section, where you're just putting items in your basket and paying a cashier. Also, there, if I pay cash at checkout instead of using a card, it bypasses the whole thing.

It would make sense that this is more prevalent in urban areas, and as you said "boutique" types of stores.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2023, 09:33:23 AM »
"and as you said "boutique" types of stores. "

(Mechanical kiosk voice:) Your order of ultra non-fat ultra organic oat milk, super organic blue berries, and unflavored turbo vegan yogurt comes ot $273.36. Would you like to add a 150% tip?

(Whiney man bun boy): Why would I leave a tip?

(Mechanical kiosk voice:) I have 2.7 million lines of code to support. And I still have student loans for my university degree in Underwater Dance of Lesbian Architecture. You can afford it.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2023, 11:27:43 AM »
Time to be not politically correct.

Most black people don't tip. That leads the establishments who get a lot of that business to institute the "at time of checkout" bit.

Because they cannot keep the help if they aren't getting paid. And tips get split, so that the kitchen folks, bussers, etc., are taken care of - And when they take care of the bartenders and servers, overall experience improves.

You'll get the drug dealers telling you to keep the change, as they peel off from a roll of twenties or benjiies, but most of the time, you'll see a group drinking henny and coke run up a $96.25 tab, and _maybe_ tipping $3 and change on it...

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstream/handle/1813/71557/Lynn29_Ethnic_Differences_in_Tipping.pdf?sequence=1#:~:text=A%20simultaneous%20multiple%20regression%20analysis,%3D%20%2D5.70%2C%20p%20%3C%20.

There is a place near me... Used to be an Applebee's, because they couldn't keep the help, and then they had to hire an armed guard (who mostly sat and looked at his phone), and now it is some sort of cajun seafood place, and they tack on 20% regardless. And they still have trouble keeping the help.
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2023, 12:07:50 PM »
I knew someone who used to be a waiter in college.  He swore he could spot tippers and non-tippers before he even got to the table.  I have learned not to get stingy with tipping.  Years ago I used to get picky to stick 15% and no more.  I try my best not to do that. 

What always gets confusing to me is when the tip question comes up for to-go dinners you are picking up.  I normally don't tip for that, but sometimes I do.  Same thing for fast food like Sonic where they bring out your food.  I try to tip those people a dollar, especially when they take the time to bring out extra condiments. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2023, 10:51:00 PM »

Citation needed. I "happily cruise" through the self-checkout lanes because it's faster, if I only have a few items. And I don't agitate for higher wages.

I've never seen those machines at Menards, and they're just as bad about understaffing their checkout lanes as any other place.

I just wish they had those things at convenience stores, so I don't have to wait for the guy buying coffin nails and lotto tickets.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2023, 11:09:43 PM »
If I buy a "to go" pizza, or something, I ask if there is a tip jar for the kitchen.

As an untouchable essential, having to deal with the demanding public... "Yeah - I'll bring your special quart of oil out to you in the rain, and then take it back inside when it isn't the right one (but it is what you told us...), and return with a different one, and then deal with your credit card, and so on and so forth..."
Blog under construction