Main Forums > The Roundtable

How much would you like to tip your electronic kiosk today?

(1/13) > >>

K Frame:
Yeah, you read that correctly. Apparently more and more locations, including stores and not just restaurants, are adding a "How much do you want to tip" to their electronic kiosk checkouts.

Even though you don't interact with a human at all, you're still being asked to tip.

Some people have said that it feels like emotional blackmail. I wouldn't go that far. It's emotional blackmail when stores ask you to round up your purchase total to support their charity du jour. I rarely do that, but I will NEVER, under any circumstances, add a tip for a totally human free transaction, especially at store. If anything, those stores should be tipping ME.

And this bit just makes absolutely no sense to me... "Wolfe said research has shown that customers feel more obligated to tip using a machine  even if they haven't interacted with a human worker."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tipping-self-checkout-machine-customer-rule/

Ben:
I absolutely hate them as well. I mean, they're fine in restaurants, but I despise them in regular stores. The German store I go to has them. They have a deli too, and maybe they got them for that, but the regular checkout register for the store section also has them. Whenever I'm there, if the owner is doing the checkout, she always hits the "no tip" before she even turns the unit around for me. However when one of her employees is there, I have to do it myself, and even though I shouldn't, I feel like a shmuck when I hit "no tip" while they're watching me, even though there is zero reason for a tip.

This seems to have shown up everywhere since the stupid covid, when we were all told to "support the poor workers during the crisis". Now it seems to be expected everywhere for everything.

K Frame:
"This seems to have shown up everywhere since the stupid covid, when we were all told to "support the poor workers during the crisis". Now it seems to be expected everywhere for everything."

Yep. I had a funny feeling that it was going to be with us to stay, and I was right.

To be honest, I didn't have as much problem tipping generously during COVID because I was fortunate -- my job was never threatened by the pandemic the way a lot of people's jobs were.

MechAg94:
I usually hit "no tip" myself.  I don't like being asked to add a tip before I get my food. 

How can I know if that "tip" actually gets paid out to the employees? 

MillCreek:
I still think that when I use the self-checkout at Safeway or WalMart, I should get a 10% discount.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version