Author Topic: How much would you like to tip your electronic kiosk today?  (Read 2533 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: How much would you like to tip your electronic kiosk today?
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2023, 07:16:30 AM »
"I'm amazed how many people sheep happily cruise through the self-checkout lanes at the supermarkets and the big box stores. "

So, I'm a sheep for wanting to get through the line as quickly as possible and get my frozen stuff home before it starts to melt?

And I'm a sheep who agitates for higher wages?

And I'm a sheep for not wanting to make small talk with the cashier while I'm waiting for him/her to process my order?

Glad to know that I'm a sheep while you're apparently a mighty force for workers rights, low wages, and standing in a line with a bunch of your fellow progressive activists.

Your statement has, overall, got to be one of the stupidest overfuckinggeneralizations I've ever seen in my life.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2023, 09:13:21 AM »
Meh, I'll usually just ask one of the unionized grocery folks (iif I go to the high priced grocery, and not Aldi, where everyone goes through the same FAST lines) what I had to do to join the union for the transaction. Make 'em think... Seing as how I was once grievanced for helping pick up a stack of manuals that I had knocked over...

"That is work that a union person should be doing!"

Blog under construction

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2023, 01:02:25 AM »
I got two starbucks gift cards, went for some hot chocolate - i skipped the tip button and put a buck in the tip jar..

I told them no lid, extra whip creme, said it twice, made eye contact, I was sure the clerk understood me BUT NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO

second time i went in showed them the dollar and told them it goes into the tip jar when i get no lid and extra whip creme .... that worked
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2023, 09:22:13 PM »

If I remember correctly, that was an actual tip bucket for a food truck I patronized a couple of years ago.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2023, 04:23:57 PM »
I've noticed a few places have begun adding 4% to a bill if you use a credit or debit card to pay to cover their hit by the credit card folks.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2023, 04:36:43 PM »
More on the expanding expectations for tipping.

Now you're being asked to tip multiple times on the same order.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/ohhh-hell-no-cancel-the-order-customer-says-restaurant-added-automatic-gratuity-on-her-pick-up-order-asked-her-to-tip-2-additional-times/ar-AA1cLooB?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=35ece6d1cf4e402b99ec664ee7382d2f&ei=20
That story brings a question to mind:  Does the business give the employees any of the tips that are added before that last physical tip?  I am getting the impression the answer is "no". 

That said, tipping for a pick up order is somewhat new to me.  The only time I can remember tipping on an order like that is the people at Sonic when they get me extra condiments. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2023, 04:56:18 PM »
I'll generally tip a minimal amount on a take away order, especially if it's a smaller business.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2023, 08:30:38 AM »

Citation needed. I "happily cruise" through the self-checkout lanes because it's faster, if I only have a few items. And I don't agitate for higher wages.

I've never seen those machines at Menards, and they're just as bad about understaffing their checkout lanes as any other place.

I just wish they had those things at convenience stores, so I don't have to wait for the guy buying coffin nails and lotto tickets.

I noticed that rebuilt Pilot/Flying J's usually received 3-5 self-serve checkouts which absolutely everybody proceeded to ignore. When I've tried to use them I get intercepted by a cashier and taken over to their register instead.

Watching people try to use the single self-checkout at the nearby Family Dollar, which is hilariously understaffed, is just painful so you might want to be careful with what you wish for.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2023, 01:52:17 PM »

Citation needed. I "happily cruise" through the self-checkout lanes because it's faster, if I only have a few items. And I don't agitate for higher wages.

I've never seen those machines at Menards, and they're just as bad about understaffing their checkout lanes as any other place.

I just wish they had those things at convenience stores, so I don't have to wait for the guy buying coffin nails and lotto tickets.

Both Circle K and Wawa around here have added self checkouts.  The circle K one is pretty cool.  You just put your crap on a designated space, and a camera looks at it, and ID's what you have.  That way things like hot dogs and pizza slices can still be self checked out.  It's pretty good too, The only mistake I've seen it make was misidentifiying a Jalapeno Cheese sausage as a Hot Italian sausage.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2023, 08:46:29 AM »
Louis Rossmann
45 minutes ago (edited)
Visit airport thirsty. Spend $4.90 on a tiny bottle of water. Go to self-checkout. Go to pay. Machine asks for tip. Default to lowest option of 20%. Never smashed the zero button on a screen so fast in my life.

Funny thing is on this touchscreen there were a bunch of fingerprints on one section of the screen and it was blatantly obvious and it was on the section for no tip. Not only was everyone else leaving no tip but they were also smashing that part of the screen in rage as hard as I was. Good!!!
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxLnQ61iNeDhqdZZdAg2KI4UNiCs2E5dt0
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2023, 05:11:55 PM »
Headline in the Babylon Bess' subscriber  section

Self-Service Kiosk Gives Customers Option Of Tipping Generously So Robot Uprising Will Pass Over Their House
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2023, 07:56:00 AM »
Interesting statement from Doordash. If you don't tip well BEFORE you even get service, you'll probably get screwed on your order. If they're doing that in the app, then they should also write in a feature that lets the tip get revoked when you open your front door to see your order busted and leaking on the ground, or the wrong order, or the driver ate half your order.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/fox-news-food-drink/tip-driver-pay-price-doordash-warns-delivery-delays-happening-no-tip
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2023, 08:28:55 AM »
I have never used one of the delivery services, and to be quite honest I never intend to.

The last time I had something delivered was probably 25 years ago just before my favorite Chinese restaurant closed.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2023, 08:44:16 AM »
Man I had some Shwarma doordashed last week.  I was already at home and relaxed from work, didn't feel like cooking or driving back into town.  I did tip the guy pretty well for bringing me dinner, but it showed up hot and tasty.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2024, 12:54:11 PM »
I get the impression that being anti-self-checkout is starting to become a part of the right-wing platform, or conservative orthodoxy, or however you wish to think of it. Matt Walsh has devoted a video to hating on self-checkout, and PJ Media ran an obituary for it, complete with details about self-checkout leading to higher levels of "shrink."

In my own experience, self-checkout is doing just fine. My preferred grocery store just added a whole new bank of self-checkout stations. It's faster than waiting for people with carts full of items, and I'm not too good to do my own checking and bagging.

I suppose it might be leading to fewer jobs at retail stores, but I would submit that Amazon, online ordering, and Doordash-type operations are the real culprit there.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2024, 01:37:52 PM »
I get the impression that being anti-self-checkout is starting to become a part of the right-wing platform, or conservative orthodoxy, or however you wish to think of it. Matt Walsh has devoted a video to hating on self-checkout, and PJ Media ran an obituary for it, complete with details about self-checkout leading to higher levels of "shrink."

In my own experience, self-checkout is doing just fine. My preferred grocery store just added a whole new bank of self-checkout stations. It's faster than waiting for people with carts full of items, and I'm not too good to do my own checking and bagging.

I suppose it might be leading to fewer jobs at retail stores, but I would submit that Amazon, online ordering, and Doordash-type operations are the real culprit there.

I don't mind the self-checkouts when I just have a few items, which is most of the time.  But lately the ones at Walmart keep stopping to have someone check that I'm not trying to shoplift. "It stopped when I put 5 pounds of cabbage on the scale, do you really think I'm trying to steal it??  And the ones at Aldi keep nagging me to scan faster, pay faster, bag my items faster, etc. (and I'm not slow, just not nearly as fast as their checkers)

I think because I was being rushed (even tho' I try to ignore it) I missed an item at Aldi a few weeks ago.  I bought 3 cheeseballs that were on sale but somehow only scanned 2.  I went back a couple of days later and bought another CB and went to the cashier.  Told her to scan it twice because I had missed one last time I was there.  She was amazed for some reason.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2024, 02:36:29 PM »
The only self-checkout that I don't like is the Costco self-checkout. Interestingly, I don't appear to be in the minority on that. The one at mine always only has a few people at most in line, even if the other checkouts are all stacked up. For some reason, lots of people are bothered by that one who, like me, are fine with the self-checkout at the grocery, big box, etc.

I'm not sure of the why, other than I think because the regular Costco checkout is generally very efficient, anyone with more than a few items (which is most people at Costco) will get through the regular checkout faster.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2024, 03:07:43 PM »
I don't mind the self-checkouts when I just have a few items...

Yes. I wouldn't think to use self-checkout if I had more than, say, 10 items.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2024, 03:14:27 PM »
I don't mind self checkout as long as I'm not buying alcohol. Annoying having to wait for the self checkout monitor, if there even is one, to get off their phone to do the ID check.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2024, 03:44:12 PM »
I don't mind self checkout as long as I'm not buying alcohol. Annoying having to wait for the self checkout monitor, if there even is one, to get off their phone to do the ID check.

Or paint.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2024, 08:23:57 PM »
The only self-checkout that I don't like is the Costco self-checkout. Interestingly, I don't appear to be in the minority on that. The one at mine always only has a few people at most in line, even if the other checkouts are all stacked up. For some reason, lots of people are bothered by that one who, like me, are fine with the self-checkout at the grocery, big box, etc.

I'm not sure of the why, other than I think because the regular Costco checkout is generally very efficient, anyone with more than a few items (which is most people at Costco) will get through the regular checkout faster.

One problem at Costco is they don't have a handheld scanner for large awkward stuff like bags of dogfood.  Also you can't skip placing the item on the scale (except for really heavy stuff like dogfood.)  So you have to pick it up and run it over the scanner then put it back in the basket, or wait for an employee to scan it with their handheld.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2024, 05:29:24 PM »
So apparently Seattle city government adds surcharges as a "living wage fee" to all delivery apps. According to a commenter from the Seattle reddit, their $18 bowl of clam chowder came to $41. That's BEFORE the tip.

https://twitchy.com/amy-curtis/2024/02/06/seattle-delivery-fee-n2392594

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2024, 07:21:11 PM »
I've been reading a lot of stories lately about people abandoning their carts in Walmart because more and more don't have any staffed registers open, only self-check, and now they're also doing receipt checks at the door.

One of the stories I saw this evening was from a woman who said that the self-checkouts have a limit of 125 items. When she's buying a month's groceries for her family of 6, she'll have multiples of that.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2024, 07:40:36 AM »
Found on Reddit and related.