Author Topic: How much would you like to tip your electronic kiosk today?  (Read 2547 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: How much would you like to tip your electronic kiosk today?
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2024, 08:02:19 AM »
Quality charge  :facepalm:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2024, 08:38:15 AM »
That would be a 100% hard pass from my ever using them.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2024, 01:18:48 PM »
I've been reading a lot of stories lately about people abandoning their carts in Walmart because more and more don't have any staffed registers open, only self-check, and now they're also doing receipt checks at the door.

It happened to me yesterday. I stopped at a Walmart near my accountant's office to pick up some batteries. About the only time I even go to this particular Walmart is in April, after a visit to the accountant's office -- it's a dismal Walmart, worse than most.

Yesterday I got my batteries, went to the front of the store, and there were no manned (personned?) checkouts open. Another gentleman was complaining to the manager on duty about that, so I added my dissatisfaction. Both of us were clear that "WE DON'T USE SELF-CHECKOUT." The MOD just confirmed that there were no cashiers on duty, at which point the other gent left his cart and walked out of the store. The MOD then told me that he could help me. I assumed he meant that he would open a register and check me out, but instead he headed for the self-checkouts. I asked him if there was any part of "I DON'T USE SELF-CHECKOUT" that was unclear, and then I abandoned my cart and left the store.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2024, 01:25:21 PM »
The MOD then told me that he could help me. I assumed he meant that he would open a register and check me out, but instead he headed for the self-checkouts. I asked him if there was any part of "I DON'T USE SELF-CHECKOUT" that was unclear, and then I abandoned my cart and left the store.

My guess is that he was going to walk you over there and scan your stuff for you. When I hit the self checkout at home despot, a lot of times the employee there is bored and just starts scanning my stuff before I get a chance to. At that point, it's no different than a regular register.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2024, 01:41:18 PM »
Went to a trending Mexican joint here the other day in search of sustenance and margaritas...

Well, they pre-mixed the margs... Sigh...

And... They added a tip on to the bill. So that's what they got.

And I usually tip a lot better than that.

And... I suspect that they did that because it appeared that 75+% of their clientele was a group that DEMANDS great service from people who are not like them, and then doesn't tip. Same bunch would order drinks by color, and then send them back if they weren't the expected taste combination. I saw that. One guy ordered a crown royal margarita. Just glad that there wasn't an internet jukebox, or instead of salsa, we would have been listening to Cardi-B and Lizzo with people gyrating and gesticulating in the aisles or on top of tables...
Blog under construction

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2024, 01:53:01 PM »
I generally don't have an issue using a self-checkout lane...

But it really depends on what I have and how much I have.

If I have a huge cart full of stuff, I want to go through a lane with a belt and a large bagging area. I'll even bag my own crap to help the cashier if a bagger isn't available.

There's nothing worse, though, than having a full cart and being forced to go to one of the self-checkouts with a short belt and a bagging area that will accommodate 2 or 3 bags.

Even worse, at the store I shop at, the whole time you're scanning the register is screeching "PUT YOUR SCANNED ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA!!!" about 1/4 of a second after you scan it.

Then, as often as not, it will screech at you "REMOVE THE UNSCANNED ITEM FROM THE BAGGING AREA! SCAN ALL ITEMS, YOU *expletive deleted*ing THIEF!"

The system is ratechety and annoying as all hell.

I'm not sure if it was in this thread or not that I mentioned it, but not long after the store implemented those changes to the self scanners one guy had his fill.

He yelled at the top of his lungs "*expletive deleted*ck THIS *expletive deleted*it!" or something like it, slammed what he was trying to scan down on the scanner with a HUGE crash, and walked out on a full cart, full belt, and bull bagging area.

At the time the store had one, maybe two, manned registers open, but they both had lines.

But they also had a gaggle of associates standing around the service desk laughing and chatting and otherwise being absolutely useless. The had to reshelve all that guy's stuff.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2024, 02:07:08 PM »

Yesterday I got my batteries, went to the front of the store, and there were no manned (personned?) checkouts open. Another gentleman was complaining to the manager on duty about that, so I added my dissatisfaction. Both of us were clear that "WE DON'T USE SELF-CHECKOUT." The MOD just confirmed that there were no cashiers on duty, at which point the other gent left his cart and walked out of the store. The MOD then told me that he could help me. I assumed he meant that he would open a register and check me out, but instead he headed for the self-checkouts. I asked him if there was any part of "I DON'T USE SELF-CHECKOUT" that was unclear, and then I abandoned my cart and left the store.

That's kind of a dick move.  Dude was helping you out, and you bailed and let him put your *expletive deleted*it away.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2024, 02:23:04 PM »
My guess is that he was going to walk you over there and scan your stuff for you. When I hit the self checkout at home despot, a lot of times the employee there is bored and just starts scanning my stuff before I get a chance to. At that point, it's no different than a regular register.

Exactly.

I'm not sure what point you were trying to prove to a guy who was trying to help you, Hawk...

I'm not even sure that you really know.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2024, 03:14:11 PM »
Our local Walmarts have closed the self-checkout due to theft.  Now, when you go to a register, the clerk scans the items and puts them on the bagging shelf.  You have to bring your own bags now and I put them on the bagging shelf before I unload the cart to be scanned.  Annoyingly now, the clerk does not put them in the bags.  You have to bag your own items after paying.  I think this slows down the throughput at the registers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2024, 03:23:25 PM »
Our local Walmarts have closed the self-checkout due to theft.  Now, when you go to a register, the clerk scans the items and puts them on the bagging shelf.  You have to bring your own bags now and I put them on the bagging shelf before I unload the cart to be scanned.  Annoyingly now, the clerk does not put them in the bags.  You have to bag your own items after paying.  I think this slows down the throughput at the registers.

That is one of the early signs to think about moving to a new area, I think.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2024, 03:42:06 AM »

Au contraire, mon ami. It IS different -- the regular registers remain closed, and I'd be going through the self-checkout.

I know how to do it. I don't need help. I decline to do it, and so did the other gent who abandoned his cart and walked out ahead of me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design