Author Topic: And now... Some Door Dash delivery drivers are demanding higher tips  (Read 1540 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: And now... Some Door Dash delivery drivers are demanding higher tips
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2023, 10:45:15 AM »
It's not Door Dash, but ...

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2023, 10:53:46 AM »
Someone didn't give the extra tip.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2023, 10:57:00 AM »
Someone ordered the special sauce
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2023, 12:27:51 PM »
The main thing missing from that article is how much was the order and tip on that order?  Did she tip 50 cents? 

I don't know how Door Dash assigned orders to the drivers.  I guess they could put the orders out there and let the drivers select the orders they want.  Of course, the larger tips would be fought over and the small tips might get left undelivered.  Adds motivation on both sides. 

The other question in my mind is how much of the extra costs/feeds go to the driver.  It sounds like it isn't much.  I have never used Door Dash. 

I delivered pizzas in a small town and got 50 cents each plus tip.  Tip was usually "keep the change" at best, and I mean change, not dollars. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2023, 12:32:22 PM »
The main thing missing from that article is how much was the order and tip on that order?  Did she tip 50 cents? 

I don't know how Door Dash assigned orders to the drivers.  I guess they could put the orders out there and let the drivers select the orders they want.  Of course, the larger tips would be fought over and the small tips might get left undelivered.  Adds motivation on both sides. 

The other question in my mind is how much of the extra costs/feeds go to the driver.  It sounds like it isn't much.  I have never used Door Dash. 

I delivered pizzas in a small town and got 50 cents each plus tip.  Tip was usually "keep the change" at best, and I mean change, not dollars.

Friend of mine, yes I have friends, used to deliver pizzas and he always said "the longer the driveway the shorter the tip"
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2023, 08:00:05 PM »
I'm lazy. Can I just rage without having to click too?  =D
I'm lazier. You can rage for me.
Do a really good job raging and there might be a tip in it for you.
7-11 was a part time job.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2023, 09:37:44 PM »
Speaking of rage ...

Someone who is really upset about something is said to be outraged.

Has anyone encountered someone who was inraged? Would that mean the person is very happy about a situation?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2023, 12:50:50 AM »
Speaking of rage ...

Has anyone encountered someone who was inraged? Would that mean the person is very happy about a situation?
That is an instanding observation, Hawkmoon.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2023, 01:02:25 AM »
Speaking of rage ...

It's kinda like flammable and inflammable. If you think those mean different things, you will be delighted to have an extinguisher handy.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2023, 02:35:09 AM »
White people need to pick up the slack for the people who don't )(^(*&%^*^& tip.
Blog under construction

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2023, 05:54:45 PM »
White people need to pick up the slack for the people who don't )(^(*&%^*^& tip.

Mr Pink doesn’t believe in tipping.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2023, 06:29:08 PM »
I feel this goes in this thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2023, 06:49:43 PM »
More Door Dash news

Food delivery app DoorDash is being sued for $1 billion amid accusations it charges customers using an iPhone more than those on an Android.

Screenshots filed in a class-action lawsuit show that iPhone users were routinely charged $1-$2 more than an Android customer for delivery on identical orders.

The suit speculates that the reason for the discrepancy is because studies show iPhone users tend to earn more money than those who use different devices.

DoorDash is sued for $1 billion over accusations it charges iPhone users more than Android customers 'because they make more money'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12111817/DoorDash-sued-1-billion-claims-charges-iPhone-users-Android-customers.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2023, 07:01:39 PM »
Not sure "apple user" is a protected class, even if they prove discrimination.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2023, 07:22:33 AM »
I actually went out for dinner last night. First time in a long time I did that.

I wanted a burger, so I went to the local sports bar, which generally has very good burgers and very good wings. I just had a burger and fries, as I was jonsing for a burger. Turns out it was a burger special, and my burger, fries, and drink were less than the regular priced burger would have been.

The waitress was good, quick and attentive, so I tipped her $5 on a bill that was $11.49 total.

I've got no problem tipping for actual service, and she wasn't standing over me, holding my food, and demanding that I "tip more" before she'd set it down.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2023, 08:46:58 AM »
Speaking of rage ...

There are people who do not show anger outwardly as much.  There are plenty of signs if you know them, but they won't be yelling or hitting stuff.  It seems to me there are more than a few words that don't have a literal opposite. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2023, 08:56:05 AM »
More Door Dash news

DoorDash is sued for $1 billion over accusations it charges iPhone users more than Android customers 'because they make more money'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12111817/DoorDash-sued-1-billion-claims-charges-iPhone-users-Android-customers.html
Are assumptions enough to get a lawsuit into the discovery phase?  It seems to me there are other explanations for this other than what is claimed. 

It does seem interesting that the people who don't want to go pick up their food are arguing over a few dollars here and there. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2023, 08:58:28 AM »
Are assumptions enough to get a lawsuit into the discovery phase?  It seems to me there are other explanations for this other than what is claimed. 

I wonder if Apple could be tacking on a $1 charge. Apple is known for pulling some really shady stuff over the years.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2023, 09:02:15 AM »
I wonder if Apple could be tacking on a $1. Apple is known for pulling some really shady stuff over the years.
I was wondering if there are differences in the way the phones transmit their location that would throw off the delivery estimates.  You would think it would go off the address, but who knows.  Apple tacking on a charge makes about as much sense. 

Just seems to me this is a lawsuit claiming something that isn't proven and the person really has no information other than some receipts that may or may not have other attributes affecting the price. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2023, 09:24:20 AM »
More Doordash tip fun
When 25% isn't enough

In the video, captured by the family's Vivint camera in Kempner, Texas, the mom-of-two answered the door as her dog ran out to greet the delivery driver.

The man, wearing khaki shorts and a dark t-shirt, pulled the pizza box out of its protective box and handed it to the woman, who said 'thank you.'
The delivery man then said: 'You're welcome, um I just want to say it's a nice house for a $5 tip.'

The woman, relatively shocked by the man's comment said, 'you're welcome,' to which he responded: 'f*** you' and walked away.

DoorDash FIRE Texas delivery driver who swore at female customer for giving him 25% tip on $20 pizza after he suggested someone living in $500,000 house could afford more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12266529/DoorDash-FIRE-Texas-delivery-driver-swore-female-customer-giving-25-tip.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2023, 10:37:05 AM »
I once had pizza delivered and it was the worst pizza I ever had. Then I had pizza delivered another time and it was the best pizza I ever had. Then I had pizza delivered another time and it was just okay. Then I had pizza delivered another time and it was pretty good.

We've never actually ordered out pizza.   Pizza drivers will come to our door 2 or 3 times a year.  "Looking for eleven oh seven?"  "Yeah."  "Next door"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2023, 10:44:15 AM »
It's been over 30 years since I lived somewhere I could get pizza delivered. I don't really miss it but, when I lived in Norfolk there was a little pizza shop about 3 blocks from my house that made awesome pizza, I do miss that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams