Author Topic: Looking for gasoline transfer suggestions  (Read 889 times)

dogmush

• friend
Re: Looking for gasoline transfer suggestions
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2023, 04:33:31 PM »
At what point of cost do we consider just replacing the artificially lifted caddy with a ground level caddy and included pump?  It seems like ~$200 will get you a new caddy and pump and solve your problem with no extra engineering.

16 Gal Caddy with battery powered pump: https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Portable-Automatic-Transfer-Gasoline/dp/B0BY1VDV87/

30 Gal caddy with reversible manual pump: https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-30-Gallon-Fuel-Caddy/dp/B0BCV1G63D 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2023, 04:34:24 PM »
Even if you don't make a trolley, something as simple as a chain fall hanging from the rafters/brace would probably work if it will go high enough.

I might not understand correctly how Cliff has his tank mounted. I was thinking an elevated platform like with a deck where the tank sits. If you just use a hoist centered over the tank, it seems like you might need an extra set of hands on a tag line to pull the tank away from the platform deck so you could lower it to the ground.

I guess if he has a deck and the legs aren't in the ground and rather the deck frame sits on the ground, he could hoist the tank off the deck, pull the deck out, then lower the tank straight down and then reverse the process.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2023, 04:56:13 PM »
I was about to suggest making it easy and buying a pre-fab 4' rolling work platform, then I looked at prices. Nope, not an option.... unless you're Ben. Ben has all kinds of money and likes to spend it on stuff we suggest.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2023, 05:03:30 PM »
What about a simple A frame with a block and tackle?  Lift the jerry can up to filler height and tie it off.  Then you could pour it in manually without having to lift and hold it over your head.  It will take a little practice to know exactly how high to raise it.
"It's good, though..."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2023, 05:14:43 PM »
I might not understand correctly how Cliff has his tank mounted. I was thinking an elevated platform like with a deck where the tank sits. If you just use a hoist centered over the tank, it seems like you might need an extra set of hands on a tag line to pull the tank away from the platform deck so you could lower it to the ground.

I guess if he has a deck and the legs aren't in the ground and rather the deck frame sits on the ground, he could hoist the tank off the deck, pull the deck out, then lower the tank straight down and then reverse the process.

That's how it's setup now, on a 3' high deck that sits on the ground - the posts aren't in the ground.  For stability & grounding the tank's strapped to a 2 1/4" pipe driven into the ground next to the deck.  I've been thinking of adding a ramp to the front and a frame around the rest of the deck high enough to hang a pulley ~8" above the tank and a hand crank winch on the back side.  When empty, I can lift the tank off the deck.  When full, set the tank at the bottom of the ramp, run the cable through the pulley and crank the winch.  That'll pull the tank up the ramp onto the deck. 

I should have gone with a battery operated device like the one in dogmush's link to begin with.  Now that I'm a couple hundred $ into this, I'd like to make it work.  Well, make it work [i[better[/i].