Author Topic: Federation Starship Warp Speeds Compared  (Read 1023 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Federation Starship Warp Speeds Compared
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2023, 01:58:08 PM »
I always wondered what the big deal was when they "lost" somebody in transport, or even getting killed when they materialized.  You've got the person's last body and memory saved, just print another copy.

Running short of Redshirts? Just press a button and Vola! You can have dozens, hundreds, even millions of expendable Redshirts n minutes!
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2023, 02:06:17 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2023, 11:40:16 AM »

<harangue>
Sorry, I'm no longer intimately familiar with Trek/Trek offshoot stuff.  Spock had big ears, girl was green, Warp7 was faster than Warp4, WarpN was faster than c.  That's about it, nowadays.

Kind of got bored with it ten+ years ago, rarely watch any of the re-runs or any "future/space/conflict/danger/OMG that rock is sentient" efforts any more.  They started to sound committee written --and incidentally, too woke-flavored.  (That's one of the reasons I started to dislike M*A*S*H. That "painting the prejudiced soldier with iodine" one tore it for me.)

Same thing with Western "sheepherders v cattle/railroad coming through/refined pure lady becomes floozy, then redeemed/ floozy becomes refined lady, then backslides/Indians villains/Indians upstanding" stuff.

I still like "McHale's Navy" despite the outrageously dangerous gun handling and the frequent plot device that "the engine is dead," even though most American PT boats each had three (3, count 'em) very powerful aircraft engines,  any one of which could push the craft at 20 knots or better.

I guess you could calc'late that 20 knots was "Warp1" for a PT boat, and debate stuff from there.  I think about 290 knots would be the world speedboat record, so call that "Warp 10," beyond which any faster was impossible. Until the committee decided faster was needed for the plot.  "But Captain, we'll tear the ship apart!"

<Violent camera-shaking to indicate ship nearly being torn apart>

Terry the Yawner, 230RN

</harangue>
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:31:04 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2023, 11:45:22 AM »
I still like "McHale's Navy" despite the outrageously dangerous gun handling and the frequent plot device that "the engine is dead," even though most American PT boats each had three very powerful aircraft engines,  any one of which could push the craft at 20 knots or better.

Like in Top Gun?
"The catapult is down"
All 4 of them??

Oh and to get nerdy here Spock was Vulcan/Human* not Klingon and his ears weren't really bigger just elf like pointed.

*Which always begged the question how could a human mother carry a baby with copper based blood?
and related to that issue B'Elanna Torres was Human/Klingon although I think Klingon blood was suppose to be similar to human blood despite being pink in ST:6 due to trying to keep the movie at a PG rating (see it's not real blood).

Edit: I don't recalled which type of blood she had was ever stated.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:07:28 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2023, 12:10:26 PM »
Could you imagine a Human/Klingon woman with red hair? God help us is you threw in some Hispanic in there as well, Klingons are already short tempered as it is.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 12:22:30 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2023, 01:09:09 PM »
Like in Top Gun?
"The catapult is down"
All 4 of them??

Oh and to get nerdy here Spock was Vulcan/Human* not Klingon and his ears weren't really bigger just elf like pointed.

*Which always begged the question how could a human mother carry a baby with copper based blood?
and related to that issue B'Elanna Torres was Human/Klingon although I think Klingon blood was suppose to be similar to human blood despite being pink in ST:6 due to trying to keep the movie at a PG rating (see it's not real blood).

Edit: I don't recalled which type of blood she had was ever stated.

Obviously, that "fact" about Spock's ears destroyed my whole position.  Despite "larger" being a relative term and him having to cover them with a hat.

Oh, honestly...

And I wasn't 100% sure about the 20 knots, so that disqualifies my comments as well.

Oh, honestly...

I was glad to hear the exquisite details about blood type, color, and composition.  I'm happy that someone's on top of data like that. Invaluable information!

Totally invaluable indeed.

LOL =D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 01:25:51 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2023, 02:29:07 PM »
I think I always assumed they were much faster than they actually are in universe.  According to that, the original Enterprise would have taken 3 days at maximum warp just to reach Proxima Centauri.  For their 5 year mission, the original Enterprise could only have traveled a maximum of 2,560 light years at maximum warp assuming no stops.  That doesn't get you very far.
Google says the Milky Way is 100,000 light years across.  2560 light years doesn't seem large compared to 100,000, but it still covers quite a few stars.  Considering how big a deal the Voyager show made for being in the delta quadrant, that sounds about right. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2023, 02:46:11 PM »
Google says the Milky Way is 100,000 light years across.  2560 light years doesn't seem large compared to 100,000, but it still covers quite a few stars.
That's true, but 2560 is if they went max warp nonstop.  Of course they made a lot of stops and maybe didn't go maximum warp the whole time.

I guess my assumption is that life is rare.  In the Star Trek universe it clearly isn't, so they can get into lots of trouble in a much smaller area than I would expect.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2023, 04:00:12 PM »

The ones with the big ears were the Ferengi.  They originally showed up in STNG but when DS9 came out, there was Quark and his bar.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2023, 09:15:22 PM »
That's true, but 2560 is if they went max warp nonstop.  Of course they made a lot of stops and maybe didn't go maximum warp the whole time.

I guess my assumption is that life is rare.  In the Star Trek universe it clearly isn't, so they can get into lots of trouble in a much smaller area volume than I would expect.
Science nerd fixup applied.  ;)

The amazing thing is that apart from a few major exceptions, much of the life in the ST universe seems to be bipedal humanoids. Oh, sure, things like ears (Vulcan, Ferengi), noses (Tellarites) skin color (Orions) and antennae (Andorians) vary, but an awful lot of these aliens could actually be Earth-type humans with makeup applied. It's even more startling that they often can eat the same food and breathe the same air even with major changes in blood chemistry. (Iron based or copper based.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2023, 09:35:12 PM »

The amazing thing is that apart from a few major exceptions, much of the life in the ST universe seems to be bipedal humanoids. Oh, sure, things like ears (Vulcan, Ferengi), noses (Tellarites) skin color (Orions) and antennae (Andorians) vary, but an awful lot of these aliens could actually be Earth-type humans with makeup applied. It's even more startling that they often can eat the same food and breathe the same air even with major changes in blood chemistry. (Iron based or copper based.)
There was that one ST:TNG episode where they found all the major races locally were from planets seeded by an older race that died out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2023, 09:39:57 PM »

There was that one ST:TNG episode where they found all the major races locally were from planets seeded by an older race that died out.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Chase_(episode)
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2023, 09:43:11 PM »
<harangue>
Sorry, I'm no longer intimately familiar with Trek/Trek offshoot stuff.  Spock had big ears, girl was green, Warp7 was faster than Warp4, WarpN was faster than c.  That's about it, nowadays.

Kind of got bored with it ten+ years ago, rarely watch any of the re-runs or any "future/space/conflict/danger/OMG that rock is sentient" efforts any more.  They started to sound committee written --and incidentally, too woke-flavored.  (That's one of the reasons I started to dislike M*A*S*H. That "painting the prejudiced soldier with iodine" one tore it for me.)

Same thing with Western "sheepherders v cattle/railroad coming through/refined pure lady becomes floozy, then redeemed/ floozy becomes refined lady, then backslides/Indians villains/Indians upstanding" stuff.

I still like "McHale's Navy" despite the outrageously dangerous gun handling and the frequent plot device that "the engine is dead," even though most American PT boats each had three (3, count 'em) very powerful aircraft engines,  any one of which could push the craft at 20 knots or better.

I guess you could calc'late that 20 knots was "Warp1" for a PT boat, and debate stuff from there.  I think about 290 knots would be the world speedboat record, so call that "Warp 10," beyond which any faster was impossible. Until the committee decided faster was needed for the plot.  "But Captain, we'll tear the ship apart!"

<Violent camera-shaking to indicate ship nearly being torn apart>

Terry the Yawner, 230RN

</harangue>

I heard something about a writers' strike -- maybe you should apply.  >:D
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2023, 03:03:33 AM »

Oh, honestly...

LOL =D

Nit picker ticked at having his own nit kicked.   :rofl:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2023, 10:21:22 PM »

There was an original series episode - "Return to Tomorrow" - one of the 2 episode Diana Muldaur was in before she playe Dr. Pulaski on STNG.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708445/?ref_=nm_knf_eps_tt_1
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”