Author Topic: When Cops "Decentralize" Someone  (Read 361 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
When Cops "Decentralize" Someone
« on: June 28, 2023, 04:46:21 PM »
Yeah, I'm still watching these stupid body cam videos. Anyways, nothing special about this particular one, other than it's an example of the thread title. I had not heard the term "decentralize" until I started watching these things. As far as I can recall from the ones I watched, it mainly applies to putting someone on the ground to get cuffed vs the cuffee doing it themselves via shouted commands.

I'm just kind of interested in the term "decentralize", since it seems like a weird euphemism to use for putting someone on the ground. Maybe it's used for other kinetic police work as well? Term first used at 2:05:

https://youtu.be/PjpNWqcDcf4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: When Cops "Decentralize" Someone
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 04:54:40 PM »
Unless I missed it they didn't say anything about drugs but her mug shot just screams meth to me.

And yeah, decentralize is a new one to me too

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 05:13:32 PM »
I had my monthly, Regional DOD Anti-Terrorisms Working Group this morning and one of the officers specifically pointed out "edited" body cam videos on YouTube as a way Accelerationist Groups radicalized people against the government.

Audit the Audit was specifically mentioned, which I thought was unfair because he seems one of the best researched channels.

Just thought you might find that interesting info during your next Idaho Militia meeting.  :D

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 05:33:28 PM »
I haven't heard the term used that way, but sometimes when I've been bad guy I've been cuffed.  When they do that they'll often have my hands on my head and will place their hand on top of my hands then pull me slightly off balance backward while supporting me to keep me from falling.  If I'm going to do anything I am acting from a position of being off balance to start with.  The term makes a lot more sense in that context as they are "decentralizing" my center of gravity.  I guess now it is used to define any way they might knock a suspect down.

I had my monthly, Regional DOD Anti-Terrorisms Working Group this morning and one of the officers specifically pointed out "edited" body cam videos on YouTube as a way Accelerationist Groups radicalized people against the government.

Audit the Audit was specifically mentioned, which I thought was unfair because he seems one of the best researched channels.
I've always liked seeing Audit the Audit's take on things, but he's also using other people's video so it wouldn't surprise me if some of the videos he has used were deceptively edited prior to his review.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2023, 05:47:29 PM »
My take is that the DOD cop is using excuse language for the government getting more governmenty.

If you watch more of these Code Blue Cam videos, the videos are very favorable to LE, and the commenters are practically blue groupies. While there are some good cop interactions, there are a LOT of bad (as in badly trained) cop interactions as well, with lots of Fbomb yelling at the top of their lungs with multiple cops yelling multiple conflicting commands, and even in those, the majority of commenters praise the cops. I mean, I'm no blue groupie by any means, and with some (most) of the knuckleheads in these videos, I'm rooting for the cops. Especially with practically everyone either getting all their felony charges dropped or walking out on $100 bond for stuff like grand theft auto.

I'll definitely bring this up at the next militia meeting though.  =D

"Decentralize", as in, "off balance", makes sense.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 06:07:35 PM »
From what I found it is just taking the arrested to the ground.

bob

And not a single result applies to the use in the video.  =)