Author Topic: And yet another confuser issue  (Read 335 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
And yet another confuser issue
« on: May 13, 2023, 05:00:25 PM »
As some of you may know, I work part-time for a municipal agency. The town I work for is in the early stages of trying to shift to a predominantly digital operation. In this state, the standards for public records are generally handed down from the State Library archives administrator. The general rule at the moment (which the State is in the process of updating, and I'm involved in that, too -- but that's a separate story) is that unless a municipality has a digital records policy approved by the State, we have to continue to maintain paper records even if we have digitized the documents for internal use.

The Town Clerk is officially the municipal agent responsible for the proper maintenance of all records in town. I met with her last week, and she admits she doesn't know where to start in trying to develop a policy. So, being the idiot that I am, I volnteered to try to help.

One of the criteria the State imposes is metadata for all digital records. I'm still researching exactly what fields are required, but I know that "Title" is one of them. I've been looking at metadata in my digital photos, and none of them include a title. Supposedly, I should be able to fill in that field (and others) by right clicking the file name in File Explorer, clicking on Properties, then clicking the Details tab.

Within that window, all the articles I see on the web tell me that if I highlight a field and then click the Value tab at the top of the dialogue box, it should allow me to fill in or edit the field. It doesn't work on my computer. Looking at the Microsoft "support" site, it seems other people have encountered this issue but, as usual, the advisors haven't offered a solution, just more questions.

I'd appreciate it if someone would try this in Windows 10 or Windows 11 (I'm on 10) and let me know if it works for you. If anyone happens to know how to fix my issue, that would be even better.

Thanks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: And yet another confuser issue
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 05:09:59 PM »
Works for me. I didn't click the value tab. I just clicked to the right of "title". Some fields let you edit, some don't.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: And yet another confuser issue
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 09:31:49 PM »
Works for me. I didn't click the value tab. I just clicked to the right of "title". Some fields let you edit, some don't.

Watched a YouTube video and realized I shouldn't have to click the "Value" tab, it's just a column header.

I did some additional poking around and found that all the folders and files in the directory where I keep my photos were flagged Read-Only. Once I removed that flag, the edit boxes open up like they're supposed to.

I don't know how the Read-Only flag got set -- and I don't know how it works, because I've never had a problem opening and editing the actual photos using Paint, Irfanview, and/or Faststone. It just wouldn't allow me to edit the metadata.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design