Author Topic: Looking for gasoline transfer suggestions  (Read 887 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Looking for gasoline transfer suggestions
« on: May 13, 2023, 10:24:40 PM »
Last year I setup a 14gal gravity feed fuel dispenser; mainly for DW to refill her riding mower.  It's working well, with one exception - filling it.  So far I've only had to fill it once and I'd rather not use that technique again.  The fill cap is just over 6' off the ground, which required standing in the bed of the truck while holding a 5gal can shoulder high & pouring in the gas.  Not fun. 

This year I'd like to use something mechanical to move the gas from the can on the ground to the fill cap.  Looking around on Amazon and eBay isn't coming up with much.  The $30 range is a "stick" with a battery operated pump on the end in the can.  These get mixed reviews, many stating "you get what you pay for".  Around $50 gets a 12v pump that isn't rated for gasoline.  I thought about using a 12v pump designed for automotive use, but they don't seem to offer an adequate flow rate, 60gph would be acceptable.

If pumping the fuel looks to be too complicated/expensive/PITA, I can redesign the platform it's on to allow the dispenser to be raised & lowered by rope & pulley or winch (hand crank or electric).

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Looking for gasoline transfer suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 10:38:13 PM »
northern tool offers some fuel transfer options starting around $130 for a 14 gal fuel caddy.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 10:46:35 PM »
I use a $10 inline generic electric fuel pump for such things.  IE https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Universal-Pressure-Transfer-Carburetor/dp/B08PY7V2MM

It's not fast, but works well for me and was both rated for fuel, and cheap.  You could parallel two if you wanted 60gpm, but now it's a bit of a contraption.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 08:16:02 AM »
I use a $10 inline generic electric fuel pump for such things.  IE https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Universal-Pressure-Transfer-Carburetor/dp/B08PY7V2MM

It's not fast, but works well for me and was both rated for fuel, and cheap.  You could parallel two if you wanted 60gpm, but now it's a bit of a contraption.
TYPO ALERT! 60gpm would be awesome, but the pumps are rated at 30gph each. Still not bad - two pumps in parallel would empty a 5 gallon can in 5 minutes.

I'd look real hard at these - cheap pumps rated for GASOLINE don't seem to be quite as common as you'd think. I wouldn't use a "fuel transfer" pump labeled just for kerosene or diesel.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 04:20:16 PM »
In the price range you seem to be looking, I've had success with the little impeller pumps that chuck into an electric drill.

Getting the motor out of it let's them spend the limited resources a $15 retail gets you on a pump that works close to advertised.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/lzndeal-Electric-Diesels-Self-Priming-Transfer/dp/B08BJ5RSTN/

Short of that any of the hotrod oriented "high flow" fuel pumps will do what you want reliability for $60-$100 plus a switch and hoses.  Amazon search "high flow inline fuel pump"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 04:23:55 PM »
TYPO ALERT! 60gpm would be awesome, but the pumps are rated at 30gph each. Still not bad - two pumps in parallel would empty a 5 gallon can in 5 minutes.

I'd look real hard at these - cheap pumps rated for GASOLINE don't seem to be quite as common as you'd think. I wouldn't use a "fuel transfer" pump labeled just for kerosene or diesel.

Thank you for the correction  =)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 04:58:37 PM »
Go steam punk old school....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334627874692
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 10:10:21 PM »

What we're filling:  https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-6792-Duramax-Gallon-Flo-N-Go/dp/B000MT94QA/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2U37LZUAHPVPY&keywords=gasoline+storage+containers&qid=1684112520&sprefix=gasoline+storage%2Caps%2C2382&sr=8-2&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

I have modified it by cutting the hose shorter & replacing the plastic handle with one made of aluminum.

At first I was excited when the diesel/oil pump ads popped up, they were looking good.  But, I was disappoint when reading the entire description to see they weren't rated for gas.  Having seen what the fumes from one cup of gas can do, taking chances with 14gal is a no-go.

The inline pumps - one question asked was if the pump would lift from a can 2' below the pump, the answer was that the pump can pull the fuel up that far.  There's no mention of how high it could push the fuel though.   If it can push the gas 4' vertically, that would be enough to reach the fill opening.  I'll drop a question at Amazon about that.  Plumbing and wiring a couple of those in parallel would be easy enough.  Since they're low pressure, a floating check valve (similar to what's used on a snorkel) should be enough to work as an auto-shutoff. 

The drill operated pumps could be run in parallel also - I've got a few small electric motors and pulleys floating around.  One motor, a jack shaft, 6 pulleys, a few bearings, some wire & tubing....

Some of the reviews on auto pumps were saying the pumps are a lot better at pushing than they are at pulling.  I'd imagine that a 2' lift wouldn't be too much.

Hand cranked models would require building some sort of mount for them.  Just off the top, a flat top four legged tower.  The pump mounted to the flat top with some sort of quick release fasteners.  Lift the pump, slide the can under, drop the pump into the can, fasten & start cranking.

Y'all have given me some great ideas.  Research will have to wait 'till tomorrow, except for the wobble pump.  That's likely to lead down a deep rabbit hole, it'll have to wait until the weekend.     =D

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 11:11:53 PM »
Gasoline has a static head pressure of about 3 feet per PSI.  So, a cheap inline fuel pump that can produce 2.5 PSI will lift gasoline about 7.5 feet before it runs out of steam.  Any of the inexpensive inlines should work in your application with respect to lift.

Mine does fine filling the fuel tank on my TO20 from a 5 gallon can sitting on the ground, I'd guess that at about 4-5 feet of lift.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 08:35:26 AM »
Ok, how about, instead of pumping gas up to the fuel donkey, how about you rig something up so that you can lower it to the ground?

A winch type system, or maybe a come along, that you can use to either lift it up to the stand it's on or to actually hang it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2023, 08:52:06 AM »
Lowering it down is likely the best idea if you have that option.  Seems like it would be less hassle in the long run.

There are plenty of drum pumps (manual, electric, air driven) that can be used, but most are designed to pump out of 55 gallon drums.  I am not sure if they could be adapted to just a 5 gallon can.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2023, 09:05:12 AM »
Ok, how about, instead of pumping gas up to the fuel donkey, how about you rig something up so that you can lower it to the ground?

A winch type system, or maybe a come along, that you can use to either lift it up to the stand it's on or to actually hang it.

This could be the way. Depending on how you built your platform and where, build a hoist frame around it that extends out past the platform, get a Harbor Freight chain hoist and trolley for ~$150, and you're good to go.

I feel your pain on lifting 5gal jugs to head height and trying to pour. My stupid tractor has the fill hole at literally the highest point on the tractor. Lifting a 5gal jug to head height, then trying to get the pour spout into the opening with one hand while holding up the jug with the other, is as you say...not fun.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 09:27:13 AM »
A lot of electric drill motors make sparks as they run.  I'd be real leery of using one where there might be gasoline fumes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 09:38:39 AM »
A lot of electric drill motors make sparks as they run.  I'd be real leery of using one where there might be gasoline fumes.

That's why I recommended a manual transfer pump.  If you're going to use an electric motor anyway, make sure it is brushless.
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 09:45:07 AM »

Any of this fuel transfer should be happening outside. Even fuel rated pumps aren't actually intrinsically safe in this price range.  But your point is well taken, one should think about that.

JTHunter

• friends
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 07:16:37 PM »
The problem with this pump is it is NOT rated for gasoline, just water, diesel, and oil.  With an external motor like a corded or cordless drill and what appears to be garden hose connectors, the possibility of a leak is rather high and a spark from the drill's motor would not make for a good day.

This one from Amazon for $23 IS a fuel pump, 12V but still only rated for 35 GPH.  It would also let you use gas-resistant fuel lines.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082KKC5Q4/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?pd_rd_i=B082KKC5Q4&pd_rd_w=gtY21&content-id=amzn1.sym.7b21e0c7-2d6d-4279-a40b-74d2b0593b5a&pf_rd_p=7b21e0c7-2d6d-4279-a40b-74d2b0593b5a&pf_rd_r=YZV5SK8AYMEDAK0P433X&pd_rd_wg=YfH63&pd_rd_r=f9e4efb8-abc2-4dea-8477-7d76ca3cb746&s=automotive&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE0WVpLR1NMM1FDTzQmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAyODEwMjBMNE0zNU1WVldDNVYmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDAwNzAxNTNEVEpSNllONlgzVlkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWMmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

I don't know what link you clicked but the one in my post literally says "Gasoline" in the description and has 3/4" hose Barbs for connections.  Comes with hose clamps.  It's chinese so I won't guarantee the impellor is the right rubber for solvents, but that's a risk you take with any cheap chinese pump.  The maker claims it is anyway.

I've successfully used one for gasoline for a year or two with my DeWalt brushless 20V drill.

The one you linked is a fuel pump designed to feed a carburetor with 1/4" hose barbs.  It's going to suck as a transfer pump.

YMM, of course, V.

If one is that concerned about sparks from an electric motor, spend the money on a purpose built fuel pump.  None of these <$50 Chinese pumps and motors with the volume he's looking for are Intrinsically Safe, I promise.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 07:38:48 PM »
I guess if one were that concerned with sparks the easiest thing would be go down to an auto parts store and get an in tank pump out of any fuel injected V-8 from about 1996 on.  Wire it to a switch and some battery clamps, hose clamp a 3/8" fuel line on it and drop it in the jerry can on the ground.  That'd get you about 45psi and 250ish lph as long as it'll fit through the hole on your can.

Most electric fuel pumps are gasoline cooled anyways.

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 09:43:09 PM »
Do you have something to provide a level measurement on the tank up high?

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 03:48:31 PM »
Do you have something to provide a level measurement on the tank up high?

Unfortunately, the fill level is determined by the good old Mark I eyeball.  I've thought about tapping into the outlet & running a clear tube up the front of the tank with a floating ball as a gauge.  I did that once before on a water drum used for watering - the clear tubing didn't last long, the sun caused it to become opaque.  A glass tube wouldn't have that problem, but would introduce other problems.

I've been considering using two of the HEP-02A pumps in parallel (giving ~60gph flow), but that is looking like more of a project than it's worth.  What with buying the pumps, fuel line, fuse blocks, terminal blocks, etc., then actually building a one-use device, it's time to consider something a bit simpler.  I'd mentioned earlier that rebuilding/modifying the platform to enable lowering the tank to the ground is an option, it's starting to look like the better option.

I hadn't thought of using a trolley system, I was thinking of a ramp (the tank has wheels) with a hand winch.  A trolley would have a smaller footprint, and, if designed right, would allow it to be used for raising/lowering other heavier objects.  A chain hoist might come in handy for a couple other projects too.  Lowering to the ground to fill would also make judging the fill level easier.

I'd considered the high pressure/high volume, drop it in the tank pumps.  The high pressure was a concern, even 75psi could cause a lot of splashing.  And if the outlet got loose, there would be a lot of gas coming out of a hose whipping about like an injured snake.

Once upon a time, many years ago, a cousin was using gasoline as parts cleaner.  He'd been working with the gas in an oil drain pan at the front of his 2 car garage, with the door open, for an hour or so.  Thinking it was time for a cigarette, he lit his lighter.  Fortunately, he only lost his eyebrows & the hair at the front of his head.

I haven't forgotten that day.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 04:14:32 PM »
I hadn't thought of using a trolley system, I was thinking of a ramp (the tank has wheels) with a hand winch.  A trolley would have a smaller footprint, and, if designed right, would allow it to be used for raising/lowering other heavier objects.  A chain hoist might come in handy for a couple other projects too.  Lowering to the ground to fill would also make judging the fill level easier.

My $150 Harbor Freight suggestion, which seemed to be their cheapest option for hoist+trolley, was based just on your probably 150-200lbs of fuel plus tank. If you're gonna use it for other, heavier stuff, you might want to look at more expensive chain hoists, either at HF or elsewhere. Though maybe the cheaper HF hoists are good. I don't know much about their quality.

I keep thinking about the hoist+trolley system for me, but then I end up always using the tractor bucket and straps.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2023, 04:15:38 PM »
Even if you don't make a trolley, something as simple as a chain fall hanging from the rafters/brace would probably work if it will go high enough.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2023, 04:28:34 PM »
Plain old hand winch and a home-fabbed tripod will do the trick if you are into function over form. Weld the winch mount to one of the tripod legs and cable through a simple sheave at the tripod apex. Questionable Spousal Approval Factor when it comes to appearance.

You could get fancy and make up some kind of railed lift tray. We had several drum racks with integrated hoists when I was growing up. Used them for drums of hydraulic fluid and gear lube. Home made so they were farmer-stout (i.e. butt ugly), but they were functional and a darned sight more convenient than wrestling 400+ lb drums around. Massive overkill for what you want to do, though.

Old-school hand winch.
https://www.grainger.com/product/6Z001?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclid=CjwKCAjw9pGjBhB-EiwAa5jl3Jiy-3YDIJm1H2bwdiNg6pxAVooKqYNKQolrblRyUTG_CshTW5NKkRoCGc0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB