Author Topic: Anti-capitalist café shuts down due to.......lack of money  (Read 1035 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Who couldn't have seen that coming?
The owner apparently

An anti-capitalist café in Toronto where patrons would pay what they can has shut down after a year in business due to failing to make enough money.

Owners of The Anarchist, which opened in March 2022 and had been described as an 'anti-capitalist, anti-colonial cafe, shop and radical community space on stolen land,' said the coffee shop will close its doors on May 30.

'Unfortunately, the lack of generational wealth/seed capital from ethically bankrupt sources left me unable to weather the quiet winter season, or to grow in the ways needed to be sustainable longer-term,' owner Gabriel Sims-Fewer wrote.

Sims-Fewer ended his announcement to patrons by writing: 'F*** the rich. F*** the police. F*** the state. F*** the colonial death camp we call 'Canada.''

In his message, the shop owner said that his cafe had been successful in every way he hoped and that is gave him 'so much inspiration and education.'

But apparently he didn't learn his business model doesn't work

Go woke, go broke! Toronto's 'anti-capitalist' and anti-colonial' café where punters 'pay what you can' is forced to shut down after one year after failing to make enough mone
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12087627/Torontos-anti-capitalist-cafe-shuts-one-year-business.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Anti-capitalist café shuts down due to.......lack of money
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 11:17:42 PM »
When it comes to colonial death camps, I would not think Canada is even in the running.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 07:31:34 AM »
I'm surprised he's not screeching for a government bail out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 11:19:55 AM »
When it comes to colonial death camps, I would not think Canada is even in the running.

Generally that term refers to 19th century government murder and ethnocide against indigenous populations.

Reasonably accurate description of what happened with the various north american tribes, IMO.  Not that they didn't do it to each other for thousands of years beforehand...
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 11:45:47 AM »

From what we've been seeing lately, they're really hoping their euthanasia program will put them on the map.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 11:54:31 AM »
What I want to know is how many of his vendors is he going to be stiffing, and how much?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 12:02:55 PM »
What I want to know is how many of his vendors is he going to be stiffing, and how much?
Probably not many - given his business model, the smart ones likely insisted on cash up front when he first came to them to set up an account.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

griz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 01:24:46 PM »
In his message, the shop owner said that his cafe had been successful in every way he hoped and that is gave him 'so much inspiration and education.'

I thought "business" would be the only word that we would define differently, but apparently we also view the word "successful" in different ways as well.  Oh well, I'm glad he's happy.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 08:45:13 PM »
In his message, the shop owner said that his café had been successful in every way he hoped and that ts gave him 'so much inspiration and education.'

Well, I for one am happy for him. Apparently he didn't hope to make money and stay in business, and he has succeeded, so GOOD FOR HIM.  :facepalm:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design