Author Topic: Randolf Roth on American homicide rates  (Read 760 times)

Pb

• friend
Randolf Roth on American homicide rates
« on: May 16, 2023, 02:39:35 PM »
Homicide rates in the USA have varied a lot throughout our history... Roth has a very interesting idea about why.

After 25 years of research, he found that poverty, unemployment, discrimination, race, class, substance abuse, gun laws, and all the other factors we say cause murder actually don’t. Instead, as he explained to Zócalo, it’s about whether we trust the government, how close we feel to each other, and whether we think government and social hierarchies are legitimate.

When people have high rates of trust in the government and the people in their community, homicide is low.  When this breaks down, anger gets much worse, and some people lash out violently.

https://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2009/11/01/randolph-roth-on-american-homicide/crime/

Given where the USA is now, I am not optimistic.  Consider George Floyd riots... presumably, lots of blacks decided that society and policing weren't legitimate, and responded with a huge spike in killings.  I just hope it doesn't get worse.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Randolf Roth on American homicide rates
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 03:43:23 PM »
I guess general insecurity and lack of confidence for the future would add stress and push more people into irrational behavior who might otherwise keep a lid on it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge