Author Topic: ooh, look grandpa had a hand grenade in his stuff - lets pull the pin?  (Read 511 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
https://wgntv.com/northwest-indiana/sheriff-grenade-blast-kills-man-injures-two-sons-in-nw-indiana/

I think the family was sorting out grand pa's belongings after he passed away and found a genuine grenade.
   Hopefully, people will tell their loved ones that pulling the pin on a grenade is never a good idea unless it is the only good idea left.
 I bet grandpa got forgetful before he really had time for the heart to heart hand grenade talk with the kids
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Remember kids, once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
Even if I KNEW it was live and had a safe place to throw it, I wouldn't mess with a old hand grenade dating back to WWII or Korea . . . or even one of our more recent conflicts. I don't know what the shelf life of explosive ordnance is, and I have no interest in finding out the hard way.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
Even if I KNEW it was live and had a safe place to throw it, I wouldn't mess with a old hand grenade dating back to WWII or Korea . . . or even one of our more recent conflicts. I don't know what the shelf life of explosive ordnance is, and I have no interest in finding out the hard way.
Not to mention you don't know if the fuse will be slower or much faster than the original design.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
Not to mention you don't know if the fuse will be slower or much faster than the original design.
PRECISELY! If the original 4-5 second (?) delay has become as many milliseconds due to age or other deterioration, or if the primer flash went past the fuze,  it could ruin my whole day.

Today, I wouldn't even try unscrewing the top of the grenade so I could dump out the explosives as the first step in making a salt and pepper shaker the way my Dad described doing when he was overseas during WWII.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
The YouTube channel farmer “Millennial Farmer” has a podcast called “Off the Husk”

On one episode they were talking about one of the cohosts who had a cannonball for decades in the family they would do *expletive deleted*it like “gift” during White Elephant gift exchanges at Christmas, hit with a sledgehammer, etc

Till one Christmas one of the girls in the family brought her new boyfriend who was retired EOD. He immediately freaked out and informed them it was a potentially live explosive shell since it had the fill/fuse brass plug in it. So they ended up called in Army EOD who transported it to an empty field cleared around for a long way and put a small shaped charge on it. They said either it will blow completely or punch a hole in it and it could be rendered inert and returned to the family. EOD said the plenty of people had been killed by these type of cannonballs, including one guy who had one simply roll off the shelf it was sitting on and go off when it hit the floor plus others who had been killed trying to disarm them by drilling holes.

When they detonated it it went off spectacularly.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

tokugawa

• friend
There was thread on practical machinist forum about a guy who was looking for a way to use a shell of unknown potential he found for something or other, don't remember the age of the ordnance-  The comments were enlightening!
People still get killed every year by this sort of thing.

Gotta ask, though- with all the WW2 movies and documentaries, even a non military person should have SOME idea of what a grenade does? And what the pin is for?

I was watching some documentary about Vietnam combat vets returning to the country to reach some inner resolution or something, they are on an old battlefield, and one of them KICKS an unexploded mortar round sticking out of the dirt. In an area where every single piece of scrap metal has been collected by the locals.......

Hawkmoon

• friend
I was watching some documentary about Vietnam combat vets returning to the country to reach some inner resolution or something, they are on an old battlefield, and one of them KICKS an unexploded mortar round sticking out of the dirt. In an area where every single piece of scrap metal has been collected by the locals.......

[Thread drift warning]I have read about tours to Vietnam for U.S. soldiers who served there. The VFW magazine has written about them, and the VFW even seems to think they're good idea.

Personally, I don't get it. I'm not nursing any hatred for the Vietnamese people, but I have zero interest in ever going back there.
[We now return you to your regularly scheduled  discussion of live ordnance]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
When I was growing up right next door to Ft Sill, as across the fence to the range. Every now and then someone, mostly kids would go out and explore the impact area and on the rare occasion would find some UXO to take home. I can remember a couple of houses that kind of up and disappeared (or parts of) as they were "playing" with their new toy in the garage or whatever. I have to admit, that was a popular pastime, riding our bicycles around the ranges looking for "stuff". As we got older (and dumber) we would ride our motorcycles out there. We also spent a lot of time on the tank trails on the East range.

bob 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
when grenades are outlawed only grandfathers will have grenades.

Are there any states where a person can legally own a hand grenade?
 Besides just being awesome, wouldn't a well regulated militia need to train at least once a year with how to use them effectively?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Remember kids, once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend

He can still be your friend until you let the spoon fly. Then you have about 4.9 seconds to get rid of it because he will be angry soon after. Up until the spoon flies the pin can be put back in.... carefully.

bob

Nick1911

• Administrator
 Besides just being awesome, wouldn't a well regulated militia need to train at least once a year with how to use them effectively?

I think they are classes as destructive devices, and afaik are legal in my state (Kansas) at least.

I'm not sure if a filling other than gunpowder would be legal without following the orange book regs

Pb

• friend

NFA destructive devices are legal in most states, I just found out.

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/nfa-items-permitted-by-state

HankB

• friend
. . . Gotta ask, though- with all the WW2 movies and documentaries, even a non military person should have SOME idea of what a grenade does? And what the pin is for? . . .

Just going to comment that the only movie I remember seeing where a grenade "popped" and started smoking after the pin was pulled and the lever went up was To Hell And Back with Audie Muphy, who played himself.

cordex

• Administrator
Gotta ask, though- with all the WW2 movies and documentaries, even a non military person should have SOME idea of what a grenade does? And what the pin is for?
Given all the dummy grenades out there and how few lives ones most people see, why would they assume it was live?

MechAg94

• friend
NFA destructive devices are legal in most states, I just found out.

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/blogs/nfa-gun-trust-atf-information-database-blog/nfa-items-permitted-by-state
You just have to register each and every one.  I was curious about that with 40mm grenade rounds also.  I have heard they are not cheap either. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
You can get / make non-explosive projectiles (filled with chalk and so) that are not NFA registered for your mortar, grenade launcher etc.

Looks like $4 each, which is a lot cheaper than I though they were.  Some people reload their own.

https://clydearmory.com/mast-m781-40mm-practice-chalk-rounds/

tokugawa

• friend
Given all the dummy grenades out there and how few lives ones most people see, why would they assume it was live?

I don't know. My first reaction to something potentially dangerous and that I am ignorant of, is not to mess with it.
I had a friend who wore a beard. All the time. He did not have much of a face, because while helping someone move, his buddy found a pump gun in a closet, ran out into the living room with it, pumped the action, pointed it at my friend and pulled trigger.
Blam. Face gone. Same thing- rampant ignorance compounded with inherent stupidity.