Author Topic: A handy little shovel - endorsement  (Read 518 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
A handy little shovel - endorsement
« on: May 27, 2023, 08:06:28 AM »
I bought a cold steel spetznaz trenching shovel from Amazon to add to my off-road Jeep kit. 30” it’s longer than the usual type. Wasn’t expecting a lot for $34 but I am actually pleasantly surprised.
It’s heavy enough and sharp enough to chop roots or split kindling with as well as dig or clear as needed. I used a file and flap disc to take edges off the screws that mount the handle to the ferrule.
Most recently I used it to clear some brush and dig 2 holes for the wheels of my boat trailer to drop into so I could offload the boat in a strip mine lake with excellent fishing but no ramp. (my tailpipe was under water)
I’m going to make a leather or leather/canvas cover for it and it will live in the kit box in the back of the Jeep. Along with my recovery gear, fire extinguisher, camp coffee, jumper cables, trauma kit, flairs, etc.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: A handy little shovel - endorsement
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 08:22:31 AM »
I can second the recommendation. I have one of the shovels in each of my vehicles. WAY better than the folding E-tools, IMO.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 08:30:00 AM »
I've kept a Cold Steel shovel in my vehicle for at least a couple of decades now. I guess my life isn't terribly exciting, as I haven't used it much. I dug the snow away from my tires, once, so I'm glad I had it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 08:51:12 AM »
Yeah I have one of the folding camp shovels that my step daughter left behind but it’s a piece of crap.
The longer handle is a huge advantage over the dinky little folders.
Not everybody needs to carry a shovel but I frequently get into some rougher places with no one else around. That’s why I drive a wrangler rubicon and I actually use the front mounted winch from time to time- like pulling the Jeep and boat/trailer out of the lake.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 11:10:48 AM »
I have a Bully Tools shovel mounted on the rack on my truck.  Same theory, but I went with Bully Tools because it doesn't have a wood handle (mounted on outside of the truck) it has a Dhandle (better IMO for digging sand out from under a truck, and is Made in the USA.

https://www.amazon.com/Bully-Tools-92712-14-Gauge-Shovel/dp/B00IDV2GQY?&linkCode=sl1&tag=thecrazyoutdo-20&linkId=91a0e938ac8a68e427a4121c8a1b8ce0&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

I use mine a lot for digging fire rings and cat holes when I'm camping outside of campgrounds.  Great tool.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 12:14:45 PM »
A shovel is aggravating enough that I don’t want to add a chintzy folding handle in as well unless I absolutely had to for portability reasons. Vehicle carry rules that need out so no reason not to go with a better shovel.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 12:22:26 PM »
A shovel is aggravating enough that I don’t want to add a chintzy folding handle in as well unless I absolutely had to for portability reasons. Vehicle carry rules that need out so no reason not to go with a better shovel.

It's not even just the Chinese E-tools. Even the E-tools that cost like 3X what the Cold Steel costs have crappy, unwieldy, pinch point handles.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 01:33:29 PM »
It's not even just the Chinese E-tools. Even the E-tools that cost like 3X what the Cold Steel costs have crappy, unwieldy, pinch point handles.

I carry a little Black and Decker (garden) shovel. It works quite well.

https://www.orbitonline.com/products/black-decker-mini-d-handle-shovel

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 01:36:38 PM »
I carry a little Black and Decker (garden) shovel. It works quite well.

https://www.orbitonline.com/products/black-decker-mini-d-handle-shovel

bob

It seems like there are a lot more choices for these reasonably priced "mini shovels" these days. Back when I got my cold steel, I didn't really get it so much for the tacticool "fighting shovel" aspect as for the fact that it was one of the cheaper options available.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 01:57:48 PM »
Glock shovel is pretty wonderful.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 02:13:04 PM »
It seems like there are a lot more choices for these reasonably priced "mini shovels" these days. Back when I got my cold steel, I didn't really get it so much for the tacticool "fighting shovel" aspect as for the fact that it was one of the cheaper options available.

Truth there. I can remember when just about your only choice for a small shovel (entrenching tool) was the craptastic folding GI shovel with a knurled knob that was floppy as all get out. We are in the renaissance of tiny shovels!! :)

bob

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 03:50:55 PM »
Truth there. I can remember when just about your only choice for a small shovel (entrenching tool) was the craptastic folding GI shovel with a knurled knob that was floppy as all get out. We are in the renaissance of tiny shovels!! :)

bob

HEY !  I used to have (and may still) one of those little shovels !  I kept it with my camping gear so I could scratch a groove around the tent or to shovel dirt on the fire.  It was one of the OD green ones with the shovelhead on one side and a "spike" on the other.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 04:10:15 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-92SF-Special-Hardwood/dp/B00169V99K/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3ML61ICTNSR5G&keywords=cold%2Bsteel%2Bshovel&qid=1685217986&sprefix=cold%2Bsteel%2Bshovel%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-9&th=1

Is this the Cold Steel shovel you are talking about?

Looks like it is short enough to stow in the truck.  21" long.  The longer one is 30".
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2023, 04:16:12 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-92SF-Special-Hardwood/dp/B00169V99K/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3ML61ICTNSR5G&keywords=cold%2Bsteel%2Bshovel&qid=1685217986&sprefix=cold%2Bsteel%2Bshovel%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-9&th=1

Is this the Cold Steel shovel you are talking about?

Looks like it is short enough to stow in the truck.  21" long.  The longer one is 30".

That's the one. They've gone up in price a little bit. There used to be a deal for the shovel and a sheath for about what the shovel goes for now. The one thing the Cold Steel has over what you might get at Home Despot is that it makes a respectable chopper as well.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2023, 05:54:35 PM »
Definitely go with the longer for my use.