Author Topic: Popocatépetl Volcano  (Read 280 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Popocatépetl Volcano
« on: May 22, 2023, 09:17:40 AM »
A major eruption from the volcano located near Mexico City could effect millions. Something to keep an eye on.

Mexican authorities on Sunday raised the warning level for the Popocatepetl volcano to one step below red alert, as smoke, ash and molten rock spewed into the sky posing risks to aviation and far-flung communities below.

The volcano, located in central Mexico, is considered one of the most dangerous in the world because some 25 million people live within a 100-kilometer (60-mile) radius.

Sunday's increased alert level -- to "yellow phase three" -- comes a day after two Mexico City airports temporarily halted operations due to falling ash.

Popocatepetl, which has not had a massive eruption in more than a millennium, became active again in 1994 and has seen periods of increased activity ever since.

Mexico raises alert level as volcano ejects smoke, ash, lava
https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-raises-alert-level-volcano-223420069.html

Live feed below

LIVE: Popocatépetl Volcano on the borders of Mexico City
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoc5bzyKjYU
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Popocatépetl Volcano
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 09:20:12 AM »
Millions are told to get ready to evacuate as one of the world's most dangerous volcanoes in Mexico is set to erupt with smoke, ash and molten rock already spewing into the sky grounding planes forcing nearby schools to close
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12110111/Millions-told-ready-evacuate-amid-volcanic-activity-Mexico.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 11:31:41 AM »
I blame Trump, the NRA and globular warmulating.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 02:03:08 PM »
<sidebar>

WLJ: "Millions are told to get ready to evacuate as one of the world's most dangerous volcano..."

Yeah, millions more who can claim fake "refugee status" from the volcano.

Hey, come on in!  We can always use more voters who are not steeped in the values and traditions of the once-great United States

Yeah, I know. I'm blue-skying it, but nowadays that's my instant take on everything.  More gimme-gimme voters down the line after they achieve woke fake citizenship.

Ignore this post.  It's been a snarly day.

</sidebar>

Afternote:  "Sidebar" was a short article beside a main newspaper article which was related to the main article.  I note that Microsoft now uses the term in their stuff yields tonsa hits on that meaning.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 03:13:36 PM by 230RN »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 02:54:51 PM »
Afternote:  "Sidebar" was a short article beside a main newspaper article which was related to the main article.  I note that Microsoft now uses the term in their stuff.

Does that qualify as cultural appropriation? CANCEL MICROSOFT!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 04:14:07 PM »
Sidebar #2:

I had a sled dog named Popocatepetl once.  We named the whole litter after Aztec mythology.  Vet visits were fun:  "Can you spell that?"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 05:00:27 PM »
Mt. Etna is erupting in Sicily, shutting down the local airport.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxS1I-qzxLc
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain