Author Topic: %&$!@#! Gopher Season Again  (Read 814 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Re: %&$!@#! Gopher Season Again
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2023, 09:48:27 PM »
Cliff - using the propane and no additional oxygen lets you light and send a "flame front" through the burrows without the "blast".  I live in a residential neighborhood and don't want to "upset" the neighbors.  :laugh:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2023, 10:21:58 PM »
Life is easier when the neighbors aren't sweeping dirt clods off the roof.   =D

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2023, 05:44:37 PM »
Ran across a gadget today and it made me think of this thread. GopherHawk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDY_8k9Za0

The guy is about as engaging as a pile of toenail clippings, but the trap is neat.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2023, 06:38:16 PM »
Ran across a gadget today and it made me think of this thread. GopherHawk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDY_8k9Za0

The guy is about as engaging as a pile of toenail clippings, but the trap is neat.

Brad

A friend got me to try that a couple of years ago. Way too small for the gophers I get. Never caught one. She caught the dinky city gophers she got it for all the time though, so YMMV.

I've wiped out the gophers (for now) and am on to killing rockchucks before they hibernate. I got 9 of them at the colony digging under my bridge, and from what my game cam is telling me, I have two adults to go. They've just switched from being out in the afternoon to being out earlier in the morning, so they're probably getting ready to hibernate. I'm hoping to get the last two tomorrow morning. Then I'll probably thin out the colony they split off from, so that this doesn't happen again next year.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2023, 06:44:14 PM »
So... have you ever thought that the gophers and the irrigation system have joined forces?

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2023, 06:48:57 PM »
So... have you ever thought that the gophers and the irrigation system have joined forces?

:rofl:

It is quite possible. And they have enlisted the rockchucks as their Wagner Group shock troops to create a two front war.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2023, 10:54:00 AM »
Well, got the last two bridge chucks this morning. At least I hope it's the last two. We'll see what the game cam says. Anyways, these 55 grain Hornady V-Max bullets are devastating. Pretty much just two gut piles.

Now if there are no more left, I can pour some concrete slurry down the holes and hope it's enough to stabilize stuff. It looks like I might have to pour some thick concrete pads around the bridge at both stream banks, I had halfass poured a couple of inches for about a foot around where the bridge meets the bank, but these guys just burrowed underneath and out. Little bastards.

There's a couple burrowing under a big elm tree by the house, and I'll need to get them with the shotgun and BBs since my shot is right in line with the one neighbor's house.