Author Topic: Debt ceiling  (Read 1305 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Debt ceiling
« on: May 24, 2023, 10:22:19 PM »
Looks like they’re going to take it down to the wire getting an agreement on how to screw us taxpayers. 

On a personal note, any shutdown is likely to delay processing the security clearance I need.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Debt ceiling
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 11:11:10 PM »
I haven't followed it.  Same old story?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 11:21:25 PM »
I haven't followed it.  Same old story?

Yep
If we don't raise it it's TEOTWAWKI
If we do raise it it's TEOTWAWKI
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 11:27:15 PM »
Yep
If we don't raise it it's TEOTWAWKI
If we do raise it it's TEOTWAWKI

Oh good, at least it's situation normal. 

I'm sure after sufficient hysteria has been whipped up, the party not in power will gain some concessions which screw the tax payers in order to allow the party that's in power to screw the future tax payers.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 07:33:59 AM »
I don't really understand why THIS time around, they're talking about "defaulting" on the government's debt instruments. In previous debt ceiling "catastrophes" there was no talk of defaults, just shutdowns. And except for government employees, the only people who seemed to be affected were vacationers who found places like Yellowstone and the Smithsonian closed. With all the money coming in - they say RECORD amounts in the form of taxes and fees - adjusting spending to match income would seem to be the way to go.

But that's just coming from a guy who isn't posturing for the cameras.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 09:56:34 AM »
Realistically, is there any debt ceiling?

Why don't we just key it to the rate at which we print dollar bills and let it go at that?  Ir would be much more realistic.

As a sample numerical example, if this year we print 7 billion one-dollar notes and next year we print 8 billion one-dollar notes, next year we simply automatically, by law, raise the debt limit by a factor of eight-sevenths  (14.3%).  Simple dimple, easy peasy, numble dumble.

And it affords a much closer approach to the true state of affairs.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 10:14:24 AM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 10:05:57 AM »
Reportedly dems demanding the removal from the deal of work requirements for govt aid is holding it up.

Edit: reworded to make clearer
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 10:34:57 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 10:07:19 AM »
Reportedly dems demanding the removal of work requirements for govt aid is holding up a deal.
Ah ha.  Someone tried to sneak some pork on the grill
7-11 was a part time job.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 10:09:12 AM »
Interesting that according to dems we need mass migration to fill jobs for employers desperately looking for workers, yet people on welfare shouldn't have to try and find work.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 10:10:39 AM »
Ah ha.  Someone tried to sneak some pork on the grill

Not pork per say. The Rs want included in the deal a work requirement for govt aid (welfare etc..). The Ds are opposed to that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 10:28:08 AM »
Interesting that according to dems we need mass migration to fill jobs for employers desperately looking for workers, yet people on welfare shouldn't have to try and find work.
That's because most people on welfare add to the tally of votes cast for democrats . . . whether they actually cast ballots or not.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 08:52:32 PM »
Reported a deal has been reached. No details. Usually means the Rs caved
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 10:45:12 PM »
 if  you're a progressive or a rino ,"govt shutdown" is the same as saying "God is dead"
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2023, 09:13:22 AM »
Reported a deal has been reached. No details. Usually means the Rs caved

Yep

Rep. Chip Roy rips ‘new debt-ceiling deal’ to SHREDS in brutally, painfully honest thread
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2023/05/28/rep-chip-roy-rips-new-debt-ceiling-deal-to-shreds-in-brutally-painfully-honest-thread/

The Rs AGAIN

- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2023, 06:54:08 PM »
Preemptive surrender to the D's is deeply ingrained in the DNA of the Republican legislative leadership.    :mad:[barf]

I expect over the next few days we'll learn just how badly they caved.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2023, 07:46:53 PM »
The fact that they pushed the ceiling two years down the road so the next President will have to deal with that almost immediately is NOT a good sign.  [popcorn]  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2023, 09:46:30 PM »
Of course the republicans caved. That’s what their masters the Dems wanted.

The true meaning of bread and circuses in the US isn’t about contemporary culture distracting us from the issues at hand it’s about fostering the false belief that any politician is actually on your side and therefore worth prolonging the rule of the system by giving it legitimacy instead of revolting.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!