Author Topic: Fifth Amendment SCOTUS win  (Read 2643 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Fifth Amendment SCOTUS win
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 06:16:58 PM »
You're both right. Any tax that indemnifies is inherently wrong.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 10:06:34 PM »
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 06:21:55 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2023, 08:51:32 AM »
Personally I think that property taxes are the single most offensive form of taxes.  All taxes are offensive of course, but the notion that you have to pay a tribute to the government for the right to call property yours is even more offensive than having to tell the government how much money you made (and from which sources) so they can scarf some of it. 

The least offensive tax directly paid by the individual is retail sales tax. 

The absolute least offensive tax are import tariffs because those are only indirectly paid by individuals as an imputed part of purchase costs on a portion of whatever goods you buy.  They have their own problems in terms of trade, and may not be a good option as a result, but that’s a separate issue.
All taxes have a negative effect at some level. Government was always termed as a necessary evil for a reason.  I tend to like the sales tax more than others since it doesn't tax someone for just saving money.  And everyone pays it no matter where they live, what they own, or how much they make. 

I would agree that your property shouldn't be seized over failure to pay.  A lien on the property would make more sense.  Once the lien's are more than the property value, then maybe sieze it. 

If there is any perceived benefit to property taxes, it is just that someone can't just sit on property and do nothing with it without cost.  It encourages industrious use of the property even if only a little.  On one side, a rich guy can't just sit on a ton of property without cost.  On the other side, a poor widow might lose her property because she can't afford to keep up with the taxes.  It probably made more sense back when it was only the property owners voting. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2023, 10:03:06 AM »
All taxes have a negative effect at some level. Government was always termed as a necessary evil for a reason.  I tend to like the sales tax more than others since it doesn't tax someone for just saving money.  And everyone pays it no matter where they live, what they own, or how much they make. 

I would agree that your property shouldn't be seized over failure to pay.  A lien on the property would make more sense.  Once the lien's are more than the property value, then maybe sieze it. 

If there is any perceived benefit to property taxes, it is just that someone can't just sit on property and do nothing with it without cost.  It encourages industrious use of the property even if only a little.  On one side, a rich guy can't just sit on a ton of property without cost.  On the other side, a poor widow might lose her property because she can't afford to keep up with the taxes.  It probably made more sense back when it was only the property owners voting.
One problem I see with property taxes, is the disparate amount of tax collected on a person's primary residence. Ignoring the residences of people like Jeff Bezos, Michael Dell, Bill Gates and other multi-billionaires, a relatively modest upgrade to a home can mean a SIGNIFICANT bump in taxes . . . with no bump in services! If you pay more property tax on your home, you're NOT going to get better police, fire, or EMS coverage, your kids' school won't be better than your neighbor's, potholes in your street won't be fixed faster, etc.

OK, so I'm being Captain Obvious about this, but it's something I've found irksome about taxation since I was a child and was only being personally hit with sales tax on the little stuff I could buy - I was perceptive enough to see MORE taxes in my future.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2023, 11:21:33 PM »
BREAKING: New U.S. Supreme Court Decision Supports NYSRPA v. BRUEN and Gun Rights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZnIhWFsJuM

This guy does a little more detailed breakdown of this decision.  Sounds like they are taking a view of all the Bill of Rights similar to the Bruen decision. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2023, 12:33:53 AM »
I think Steve Lehto covered this decision recently.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2023, 09:39:33 AM »
I believe he did.  I thought this guy made a good point about the way the SC viewed the case.  It might bode well for future Bill of Rights cases.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2023, 03:14:30 PM »
Ok.... so I'm not watching the video... what is this case?

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2023, 03:45:52 PM »
It's Mark Smith of Four Boxes Diner.
He is talking about Tyler vs. Hennepin County.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”