Author Topic: Fifth Amendment SCOTUS win  (Read 2584 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Fifth Amendment SCOTUS win
« on: May 25, 2023, 12:54:06 PM »
SCOTUS spanks Hennepin County, MN, for auctioning a home for delinquent taxes and then pocketing the difference.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/94-year-old-grandmother-big-win-supreme-court

This is a big BIG win. This kind of crap has gotten all too common, taxing authorities grossly overstepping their bounds and then telling taxpayers, "Tough, we're the government. Whatcha gonna do about it, Scooter?" Maybe now we can use this as precedent for dealing with the malevolent bastardization of civil asset forfeiture.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Fifth Amendment SCOTUS win
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 01:10:16 PM »
Awesome!  And yes, now do CAF abuses.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 01:14:40 PM »
It boggles my mind anyone would think otherwise.
But apparently there are those in government who do otherwise this case would have been unnecessary
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 02:14:09 PM »
She's 94. I wonder if she will live long enough to see her money.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 02:19:34 PM »
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/22-166_8n59.pdf

Sounds like a good ruling.  Should have stopped at a much lower level, but now there is an SC decision. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 02:35:19 PM »
She's 94. I wonder if she will live long enough to see her money.

The one who plants trees, knowing he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 02:42:33 PM »
Awesome!  And yes, now do CAF abuses.

ALL civil asset forfeiture is abuse. It's nothing but theft under color of law.

I went to Steve Lehto's YouTube channel to send him a link to this, and he has already done a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ6twiAmVyI
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 02:57:46 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 02:49:50 PM »

Asset forfeiture after conviction for a crime directly involving said asset is fine. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 02:50:34 PM »
The one who plants trees, knowing he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life.

I get that concept but I still bet that the sorry rat bastages that stole her money will find every way imaginable to delay giving it back to her.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 02:58:40 PM »
Asset forfeiture after conviction for a crime directly involving said asset is fine.

I agree, but that's not civil asset forfeiture.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 06:05:05 PM »
 gawd that case makes me so angry.
same thing with the civil asset stuff.
for every one case we win, a few thousand hard working people become very poor people
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023, 06:24:22 PM »
Marvin Heemeyer may not have been the hero we wanted but sometimes he might be the hero we need.
 :rofl:

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 06:34:52 PM »
gawd that case makes me so angry.
same thing with the civil asset stuff.
for every one case we win, a few thousand hard working people become very poor people

The problem is, at best she gets back her $25,000.  With appeals all the way to SCOTUS I bet typical legal fees would be at least 2 orders of magnitude more expensive.  Nobody having to pay for that would bother, even if they could afford it, just because of simple rational economics.  It takes a legal charity to challenge it.

What we need is enough teeth in the laws to allow folks to collect punitive damages so that they stand to get enough to pay for the litigation.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2023, 07:54:32 PM »
The problem is, at best she gets back her $25,000.  With appeals all the way to SCOTUS I bet typical legal fees would be at least 2 orders of magnitude more expensive.  Nobody having to pay for that would bother, even if they could afford it, just because of simple rational economics.  It takes a legal charity to challenge it.

What we need is enough teeth in the laws to allow folks to collect punitive damages so that they stand to get enough to pay for the litigation.

Triple damages plus court costs.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 08:29:57 PM »
Triple damages plus court costs.

And damages are first collected from the offending official's personal assets before the agency responsible covers the balance with taxpayer money.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2023, 08:26:58 AM »
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/22pdf/22-166_8n59.pdf

Sounds like a good ruling.  Should have stopped at a much lower level, but now there is an SC decision.

That is the infuriating part. How incompetent and/or thuggish are these lower courts? Even to a layperson, this seems to be an obvious decision for any court, let alone the SC.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2023, 08:39:49 AM »

Why is that fine?

Isn't jail time or a fine the punishment for a crime?  What's the point of opening the door even a little bit to the .gov jacking your *expletive deleted*it?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2023, 09:28:01 AM »
Why is that fine?

Isn't jail time or a fine the punishment for a crime?  What's the point of opening the door even a little bit to the .gov jacking your *expletive deleted*it?
Funny that the word "fine" keeps getting used in this exchange ... isn't a fine pretty much the same thing as government jacking your *expletive deleted*it, just commoditized?

I remember when I was a little kid our neighbors had their door kicked in.  I don't remember all the specifics, but the guy who did it was fined.  It made sense to me that there would be a fine to provide money so that the door could get fixed. 

Then I learned that the fine went to the government, not to the victim, and that no restitution had been ordered.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2023, 07:02:57 PM »
Why is that fine?

Laws and statutes should establish penalties which ought to be proportionate to the seriousness of the crime, and they shouldn't be open ended. If a person commits a crime and the law says there's a $5000 fine, .gov shouldn't be able to take the person's $30,000 car as well.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2023, 07:44:34 PM »

I went to Steve Lehto's YouTube channel to send him a link to this, and he has already done a video on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ6twiAmVyI

There were multiple cases of a St. Louis suburb (Jennings?) where the mayor, police chief, and possibly others, were using the older RICO laws to charge people and take their property.  The problem was that there were very rarely any subsequent prosecutions.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2023, 01:16:20 PM »
And damages are first collected from the offending official's personal assets before the agency responsible covers the balance with taxpayer money.

Like.

I'm tired of never knowing what individual living breathing person actually made the decisions or signed the documents.  Feathers are easy to come by in many pillows and older ski jackets, but I'm not sure where you can get tar quickly.

Terry, 230RN

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2023, 01:25:50 PM »
Thinking about it a little more, I just wonder what the actual value of the seized-and-sold condo was. It makes me wonder if the local government just did a quick sale to recoup the taxes owed and figured anything above that was gravy . . . $15k in back taxes & penalties seems like an awful lot for a condo worth only $40k. Maybe there were some additional shenanigans in play not addressed in the story, and somebody got a $100k (or more) condo for $40k.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2023, 01:52:31 PM »
Thinking about it a little more, I just wonder what the actual value of the seized-and-sold condo was. It makes me wonder if the local government just did a quick sale to recoup the taxes owed and figured anything above that was gravy . . . $15k in back taxes & penalties seems like an awful lot for a condo worth only $40k. Maybe there were some additional shenanigans in play not addressed in the story, and somebody got a $100k (or more) condo for $40k.

That’s the usual play.  There are people that specialize in buying tax lien sales as an investment strategy.  Most likely that condo would normally sell for $80-150k depending on condition and local market.  That taxing agency literally doesn’t care what it sells for so long as they get their tax delinquencies.  Which is why they usually go for 1/4-1/2 the normal price. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2023, 02:49:09 PM »
I think we need to back up one more step and examine the presupposition that the government can seize your real estate if you don't give them the amount of money they arbitrarily decided you owe.  It's not like you signed a mortgage note with the County and put the place up as collateral.  The local .gov just decided that this year you have to give them X amount or they can have your land.

Setting aside the whole taxation is theft issue; I understand that we need taxes of some amount to fund a government.  But why do we think going into debt (and unilateral debt at that.  You didn't agree to the taxes, and can't opt out of the services if they suck.  You just have to give them what they want) justifies seizure of what is most American's largest single asset?  Like:  "You didn't pay us the amount we decided we need to groom your neighbor's children, so we're taking half your life's savings, even though you actually owe the value of a mid priced used car."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2023, 04:15:36 PM »
Personally I think that property taxes are the single most offensive form of taxes.  All taxes are offensive of course, but the notion that you have to pay a tribute to the government for the right to call property yours is even more offensive than having to tell the government how much money you made (and from which sources) so they can scarf some of it. 

The least offensive tax directly paid by the individual is retail sales tax. 

The absolute least offensive tax are import tariffs because those are only indirectly paid by individuals as an imputed part of purchase costs on a portion of whatever goods you buy.  They have their own problems in terms of trade, and may not be a good option as a result, but that’s a separate issue.