Author Topic: Multi vitamins may slightly improve memory and slow mental decline  (Read 494 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/05/26/1178225715/can-multivitamins-improve-memory-a-new-study-shows-intriguing-results

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0002916523489046?via%3Dihub

https://alz-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/alz.12767

The positive effects were minimal.  I have often thought that the majority of vitamins and supplements were not all that beneficial and just led to you producing expensive urine.  Having said that, I have taken a multivitamin for decades because my diet is not always what it should be.  I now take the Centrum silver for men equivalent from either Costco or Walmart, depending on what store I go to first when I need a new bottle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
Re: Multi vitamins may slightly improve memory and slow mental decline
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 08:18:30 AM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/05/26/1178225715/can-multivitamins-improve-memory-a-new-study-shows-intriguing-results

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0002916523489046?via%3Dihub

The positive effects were minimal.  I have often thought that the majority of vitamins and supplements were not all that beneficial and just led to you producing expensive urine.  Having said that, I have taken a multivitamin for decades because my diet is not always what it should be.  I now take the Centrum silver for men equivalent from either Costco or Walmart, depending on what store I go to first when I need a new bottle.
I think many vitamins and supplements have some beneficial effects - but there are a lot of hucksters making ridiculously extravagant claims out there that are so much baloney. In particular, I regard huge mega doses of even some common supplements as not just unhelpful, but potentially harmful.

I have my doubts about the guy with all the commercials on the Fox news channel who's selling freeze dried fruit and vegetable capsules as diet supplements. They don't sound bad at all,  but despite the testimonials in his commercials, I'm not convinced they're as miraculous as claimed.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 08:44:56 AM »
Multi vitamins may slightly improve memory and slow mental decline

Too late for most of us.
 :old:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 10:53:33 AM »
Too late for most of us.
 :old:

Really.  Call me when the literature says it will reverse mental decline and sign me up!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 10:59:51 AM »
Not to mention also that what is recommended today may be discouraged tomorrow based on newer research.  For years I took Vitamin E supplements as an antioxidant and 81 mg. aspirin as a primary preventative for heart disease.  This was consistent with primary care recommendations at the time, especially for someone with lipid issues as I have.  Now of course, years later, neither of these is recommended any longer, the Vitamin E due to prostate cancer and stroke risk and the aspirin due to GI bleeding risk and stroke risk.  Who knows what recommendations and warnings will come out of future research.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 11:34:47 AM »
Not to mention also that what is recommended today may be discouraged tomorrow based on newer research.  For years I took Vitamin E supplements as an antioxidant and 81 mg. aspirin as a primary preventative for heart disease.  This was consistent with primary care recommendations at the time, especially for someone with lipid issues as I have.  Now of course, years later, neither of these is recommended any longer, the Vitamin E due to prostate cancer and stroke risk and the aspirin due to GI bleeding risk and stroke risk.  Who knows what recommendations and warnings will come out of future research.

With all the back and forth over the years regarding various supplements and whatnot to improve health or prevent detrimental health effects, I can't help but wonder if my kraut old man with the 8th grade education had it right when he always said, "Just eat a well-balanced diet, and don't overdo it". He DID make it to 94.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 03:38:59 PM »
Not to dive too deep in this thread but…
Consider “whole food nutrition” and the work of people like dr Royal Lee. Most “vitamins” are just synthetic and lack the nutrient complexes and cofactors to allow them to be used properly.
The junk vitamin craze started about 100 years ago. Real nutrition comes from real food.

What we have here is failure to communicate.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 03:44:35 PM »

So do I.  The one thing I noticed a long time ago was that those "over 50" multivitamins usually do not have "iron" in them which you need for your red blood cells.  I use the generic "adult" formula from WalFart as it does have the iron.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 03:58:22 PM »
I stopped taking multivitamins, but I have forgotten why.  Or maybe I never took them at all.  I don't remember.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 04:02:38 PM »
I stopped taking multivitamins, but I have forgotten why.  Or maybe I never took them at all.  I don't remember.

They say your memory is the second thing to go. Can't remember what the first is.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 09:23:35 PM »
 Vitamins and supplements work great, knowing which ones to take is very difficult.

I but my vitamins/supplements from vitamin shop/sprouts/whole foods ( all three local shops gave up yammering at me for open carry too, I kept on smiling and saying OK and doing it again )

I never use multi vitamins or major brands you see on TV.
My current regimen is DHEA and pregnenolone , D3, tongkat ali,fenugreek, saw palmetto , E, tribuplex, Solgar brand Bcomplex 100. Flaxseed powder
I plan on adding creatine and trying an experiment with N.A.C and glycine , and I need to also find a new source for the special nutritional yeast I like....

I got into higher carb last year, to wean myself off the sugar cravings I ate a lot of Quest bars and cookies .
except for bananas and larabars - zero sugar .. I drink water/black coffee or black tea.

lately I've been going more and more keto/carnivore diet - I am planning on going full carnivore for a month or two

I was bordering on 190 at Christmas now I'm roughly 170  5'8

These things do work, but finding good info is exceedingly difficult , especially around vitamins supplements - Andrew Huberman yt channel good place to start
https://youtu.be/Bll8oVpo23o

Stanford neuro scientist
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2023, 10:50:53 AM »
I used to take a multi-vitamin because I tend not to eat enough, even though I do eat mostly healthy food, but it started upsetting my stomach, so I dropped it. But a couple years ago the doc suggested I try to elevate both Vitamin D3 and B vitamin levels. Although blood tests showed both levels were "within normal ranges" they were on the low end of the scale. Did some research of my own first and read that higher levels can assist with a couple issues I deal with (joint and skin related). Started taking supplements for both and bloodwork shows the levels are now closer to the higher end of the normal ranges. And I FEEL better than I felt before starting them - less joint pain, more energy, lessening of skin complications, less fatigue - or less extreme fatigue anyway. And the added benefit of feeling less inclined to throat punch everyone who pisses me off.
Maybe it's a placebo effect, but as long as I feel better, who cares? 
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2023, 11:57:31 AM »
A few years back, periodic Vitamin D testing became popular in the Seattle area due to the relative lack of sunlight and all the pasty white people of Northern Europe and Scandinavian heritage.  I myself, being a pasty white person of Celtic heritage and who stays out of the sun lest I burn to a crisp, qualified.  My Vitamin D levels were were on the very low end of normal and my internist recommended that I take a supplement. 

So I now take an Equate multivitamin/mineral supplement for men 50+ and 5000 IU of vitamin D daily.  For the past month, I have also been taking a calcium supplement to encourage the fractures from the motorcycle crash to heal up, but I will probably stop that in a month. 

Edited to add:  I found my latest receipts for the supplements: 7 cents per day for the Equate multivitamin/mineral and 3 cents per day for the Vitamin D.  Cheap insurance, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 02:08:25 PM by MillCreek »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2023, 12:56:50 PM »
The positive effects were minimal.  I have often thought that the majority of vitamins and supplements were not all that beneficial and just led to you producing expensive urine.  Having said that, I have taken a multivitamin for decades because my diet is not always what it should be. 

I concur, but I take a multivitamin and a few other supplements for my heart disease (can't hurt approach, may help) because like most Americans, I don't eat a well-balanced diet every day and there are micronutrients that your body needs to run efficiently.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536