Author Topic: I am too old for roofing.  (Read 881 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: I am too old for roofing.
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 05:34:14 PM »
I’m pretty sure a margarita is a better source of potassium than gin and tonic.
I need about 2 more cool mornings.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2023, 07:14:58 AM »
I’m pretty sure a margarita is a better source of potassium than gin and tonic.
I need about 2 more cool mornings.

But a margarita won't protect you against malaria like a gin and tonic will.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2023, 12:30:47 PM »
It’s funny how you remember things from way way back.
My maternal grandpa was a Swedish woodworker carpenter but because he was also a good catcher with a really good rba (in the serious days of the old factory leagues) he got a job with the power company. His brother, my great uncle was an old fashioned carpenter, concrete to roof ridge cap.
Today I had a flashback memory.
I was 14 or 15 and he hired me to help him roof a 2 car garage. I showed up with a cheap nail pouch and a curved claw hammer. He took my hammer over to a saw horse and cut it off and threw it on the ground. He said straight claw hammer only. If you’re sliding off a roof you can bury a straight claw and save yourself and patch the roof later. He went to his truck and loaned me a straight claw hammer.
He also said, “you’re not a real roofer until you drink your coffee with a nail in your teeth.” He drank coffee all day.
It wasn’t coffee. It was water. But I was going to take a drink when I realized I had a roofing nail in my mouth. Day 8 of the 3 day roofing job.
Mid 90s I can only be on it until the shingles get soft like noodles and im worse. Almost done thank lord
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 07:45:37 PM by Kingcreek »
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2023, 05:10:45 PM »
"He also said, “you’re not a real roofer until you drink your coffee with a nail in your teeth.” "

That's like Peter Capstick's stories in American Hunter about a long stalk through the brush, then breaking for lunch and realizing, after eating, that the whole time he had a pair of .470 Nitro cartridges between his fingers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.