Author Topic: Rode my bike today for the first time in about 3 years  (Read 340 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Rode my bike today for the first time in about 3 years
« on: May 29, 2023, 09:18:14 PM »
Decided to ride to a Memorial Day ceremony at noon today for those lost at sea.  A little over a mile from my house.  After that, the honor guard and color guard etc. were going to make the rounds of the local cemeteries.  Much to my surprise, the county sheriff was there in a spiffy summer dress uniform with a campaign hat and he was the bugler.  I didn't realize the sheriff had a dress uniform, but I guess of course he does.  He looked ready for inspection.  Anyway, back to the bike...

The shifters were stuck.  The front sprocket was stuck in the middle which was okay, but the back sprocket was stuck in a high gear.  Much to my shame, I had to get off and push going up a hill; I almost made it to the top but not quite.  ;/  On the ride back I fiddled with it and got the rear shifter working although it is tight.  I assume the cables are corroded.  Can I just put penetrating oil at the tops of the cable sheaths and have it wick down the inside to free the cables, or do I need to take the bike to a shop for a tune-up and probably new cables?   It's a 30 year old heavy-frame MTB, so it's not worth much but I like it.  And it's got good Michelin tires.

I think my legs will be sore tomorrow just from that short ride.
"It's good, though..."

Cliffh

• friend
Re: Rode my bike today for the first time in about 3 years
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 09:45:36 PM »
When I was assembling bikes I bought an attachment for lubing cables.  Similar to this:  https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0182-Cable-Luber/dp/B0012TYX9W

Works great.  Mostly I'd use silicone spray - it lubes without collecting as much dust & dirt as WD40.  Brought a couple cables back from the brink.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 09:47:40 PM »
Given how old it is and how long it has not been ridden or maintained, I vote to take it to your local LBS for a tune up and maintenance.  Be sure to tell the LBS about the specific shifting problem so they can address it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 10:42:48 PM »
When I was assembling bikes I bought an attachment for lubing cables.  Similar to this:  https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0182-Cable-Luber/dp/B0012TYX9W

Works great.  Mostly I'd use silicone spray - it lubes without collecting as much dust & dirt as WD40.  Brought a couple cables back from the brink.

Thanks.  Even if it doesn't work for the bike, the dead-man cable is sticky on my lawnmower and it's not too-far-gone yet.
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 10:57:53 PM »
It's not worth lubing bicycle cables. Just buy new ones.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 11:16:10 AM »
I'd also be interested in why you hadn't ridden in three years.

Ulterior motive: After three bad 2-wheel accidents (two bikes, one motorcycle) I decided anything with "cycle" in its name wasn't for me.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 01:01:22 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 12:22:00 PM »
I'd also be interested in why you hadn't ridden in three years.

Ulterior motive: After three bad 2-wheel accidents (two bikes, one motorcycle) I decided anything with "cycle" in its name wasn't for me.

I mainly used the bike for commuting in nice (at least warm) weather.  With Covid, I was working from home and didn't really have anyplace to ride to.  Then I retired, and still no place I really wanted to go.  Finally decided "hey, it's good exercise, get off your fat ass" and rode it, and it's pissed at me for neglecting it.  :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 12:27:34 PM »
^
"Finally decided "hey, it's good exercise, get off your fat ass" and rode it, and it's pissed at me for neglecting it.  :laugh:"

Despite our failure to quantify it and perform repeatable experiments on the phenomenon, "inanimate" objects do store some kind of positive and negative energies and can "get even."

I state this as a matter of experience, but not experiments.

This "explains," in part, why some people tend to give names to their favorite things.  I had an M1 Carbine named "George," and an M9 named "Bruno," and, among other named objects, my car's name is "Suzy."

Suzy Baru, to be formal about it.

Suzy is a bit miffed at me for not changing her oil on schedule and gave me a flat the other day.  No big deal, but you guessed it, the spare was flat, too.

The common reaction to this kind of thing is "It figures, don't it?" without delving into the real reason for the problem:  the inanimate object was pissed at you.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 01:02:00 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.