Author Topic: Making lumber the hard way.  (Read 373 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Making lumber the hard way.
« on: May 30, 2023, 11:09:36 PM »
Finally got a chance to get back after it with the chainsaw mill.
Kind of a big log. 8'6" long, 28" diameter on the big end, 25" on the small end
My goal is to produce dimensional lumber. Not really interested in big, live edge slabs out of this log.
So for that reason and because "I wanted to", I squared up (more or less) the log to allow me to cut boards. The squared up cant is 18" wide and 22" tall.
Sort of worked like I planned but turning that damn big log was more work that I thought it would be even with my little tractor for muscle.
After trimming branch stubs and big lumps I cut the 1st slab off the top, rolled it 90°, cut it again then rolled it back 180° to give me 3 flat, mostly, sort of square side. The tricky part was rolling it back up so my "top side" was where I wanted it. That took a bit of jockeying with the tractor and loader and more than a little bit of "sketchy *expletive deleted*it" getting it upright and stable. The log was probably close to 1500# when I started.
I'm not going to get a lot of "premium" lumber out of it but I'm guessing close to 120+/- board feet of some pretty good lumber.

The top board will get edged down to close to 14" wide once the sap wood it trimmed off. I should get several boards 16"-18"+ wide. The heartwood of this log is oval shaped and I should get a good bit of quarter sawn boards out of it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Making lumber the hard way.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 11:55:42 PM »
Cool!  I’m still waiting for time to mill a bunch of logs.  If’n I had equipment and a band mill I probably would have milled them a long time ago.  But hopefully the delay will mean good spalting.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 01:10:56 AM »
  But hopefully the delay will mean good spalting.

Heh. This is called  optimism......one mans spalt is another mans rot.. =)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 07:07:27 AM »
I can't let logs sit too long here. Powder post beetles will get in it and destroy it. I let a couple of Ash logs go about 9 months after felling and the damn bugs turned what should have been  a bunch of 12-14" wide boards into a handful of 8" wide boards and some firewood. I've even had the damn things get into Osage Orange and ruin a bunch of bow staves.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2023, 11:23:07 AM »
RKL, that's a heck of a log.  Nice work!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2023, 11:53:25 AM »
No serious bug issues here.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 01:48:20 PM »
The guy that took down the big oak for me dropped off 3 Silver Maple logs Saturday morning. Those are next on the chopping block. They are in the 14-16" range, much easier to move around.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 02:17:46 PM »
The bottom end of the big leaf maple logs I have are 30+” diameter.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2023, 11:55:47 PM »
That is some beautiful grain in that wood.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”