Author Topic: Which Glock 19?  (Read 697 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Which Glock 19?
« on: June 05, 2023, 03:09:08 PM »
It is New Gun time, since I don't have a full size 9mm. The G19 seems to be the most generic, and I am already familiar with the platform... but...

FIVE different generations/versions? How to choose?
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Which Glock 19?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 03:15:36 PM »
It is New Gun time, since I don't have a full size 9mm. The G19 seems to be the most generic, and I am already familiar with the platform... but...

My experience

Gen 1 - Doesn't fit my hand right
Gen 2 - Doesn't fit my hand right
Gen 3 - Doesn't fit my hand right
Gen 4 - Perfect, Own 4
Gen 5 - Back to not fitting my hand right. Darn it!

For me it came down to which one fit my hand. The changes in grip between gens can be subtle but were the deciding factor for me.
If you can try each gen and see for yourself. Most good size gun store should have a mix of Gen 3s, 4s, and 5s, both new and used.

Edit: Be aware there are  Gen 3 SF (small frame) models. So keep that in mind when trying out different ones.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 03:29:28 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 03:20:31 PM »
Even-numbered sequels are usually the bad ones, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 03:21:26 PM »
I only have experience with two generations. I had a G23 from when they first came out - I don't know if that's gen 1 or 2, but I never liked it. I currently have a G45, and it turned me around on Glocks. Part of it might be the full size grip / compact barrel configuration. I don't really like the G19/23 short grip where my pinky dangles.

I also have a Shadow Systems, which is based on the Gen 4 Glock, and that fits my hand the very best, though it has an improved grip and interchangeable backstraps to fit your hand/preference, so it might not be a good comparison to the Gen 4 Glock.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 03:24:05 PM »
I don't really like the G19/23 short grip where my pinky dangles.

If your pinky dangles off a G19 you're green and like to smash things. Sure you're not thinking of the G26?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 03:27:15 PM »
Doesn't make that much of a difference to me. 

I don't think G19s ever had a Gen 1.
Gen 2 wouldn't have rails if that matters to you.
Gen 3+ have rails.

Thinking only about the G19 I have a Gen 3 and a Gen 5 ... they're both fine.  I shoot the Gen 3 a little better but I can't say why other than I have a whole lot more rounds through it, and the difference isn't really enough to matter.

If you're wanting to buy new I'd probably get a Gen 5.  If you're buying used I don't think it matters unless you plan on hanging a light on it, in which case get a 3, 4, or 5.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 03:55:53 PM »
I own several Glocks. (17, 19, 26) They're very serviceable pistols, although the Gen 1 G17 is sensitive to limp wrist failures.

I recently decided I wanted a G19-size 9mm pistol that was optic ready.

I got myself an S&W M&P 2.0 Compact. It points much better than the Glocks, has a noticeably better trigger, and in several hundred rounds of assorted ammo it has been 100% reliable with no malfunctions whatsoever, even when I deliberately tried to induce a "limp wrist" failure with a bent wrist and the loosest "two finger" grip I could manage without dropping the gun when I fired it. I put on a Holosun 6 MOA green dot sight and it comes up right on target, I don't have to "hunt" for the dot. 

Although the stock trigger is better than Glock, I may put in an Apex soon - I tried a pistol with one and it was on a par with a nicely tuned 1911.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 04:17:31 PM »
For me, the Arex delta M fits better as a shooter/carry gun, but everyone is different.  I have a Gen 4 G19 and it does fine, just never makes the top of the carry list.

You might also take a look at the pistols PSA is making.  I don't have one, but the prices/deals have made it tempting to try.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 04:46:22 PM »
If your pinky dangles off a G19 you're green and like to smash things. Sure you're not thinking of the G26?

Ben smash. I can't get a full grip on a G19/23. One of the reasons I went to the G45 and XR series on the Shadow Systems. My pinky is right on the end of the grip on the G45. Are you sure it's not you that has baby hands?  =D

I have seen the guntubers say that the Gen5 trigger is better.  I got rid of the G23 too long ago to make a comparison with my G45. My Shadow Systems trigger is definitely better, but I don't really see anything wrong with the G45 trigger.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 04:52:23 PM »
Ben smash. I can't get a full grip on a G19/23. One of the reasons I went to the G45 and XR series on the Shadow Systems. My pinky is right on the end of the grip on the G45. Are you sure it's not you that has baby hands?  =D

Probably why you're more popular with the girls   =(

Would love to see you try to shoot my Rohrbaugh R9
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2023, 05:12:51 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 07:51:27 PM »

Well,my understanding is, there isn't a Gen 1 G19.

Have a Gen 3, acquired just before the Gen 4s came out.  Never felt any need to upgrade.

Don't forget, there's a bunch of parts compatible clones out there now, and build it yourself options.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2023, 07:53:44 PM »

My hands are big enough that my pinky half hangs off it, unless I really scrunch up my fingers.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 09:21:33 PM »
The first generation of the G19 was the second generation of the G17.  I've had one of those G19 pistols since 1994.  No rails.  No finger groves.  The "improved" grip texturing they did on the G17 Gen 2.  It was my carry gun when I was a prosecutor, either in a Blade Tech belt rig or a Bianchi Jackass shoulder holster.  I liked the pistol, but never loved it.  Glocks just don't fit my hand that well.  That said, I have way too many mags, holsters, and hours of tripper time to part ways with it.  It has been suggested that I try the G48 and see if that works better for my hand.  Food for thought.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 11:32:51 PM »
Love my 3rd Gen G19! (at least I think it is 3rd Gen)

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 11:36:42 PM »
PS: I did add a cheap pin-on "Beavertail" extension to it.

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 12:30:47 AM »
I tend to like my Gen 5s better than my Gen 3s because the 5 is more lefty friendly but it's not a huge difference.

If you think you'll be using the aftermarket to upgrade and swapping parts around, the gen 3 has the most aftermarket support.  The gen 3 patents are what just expired so all the Glock clones (PSA Dagger, Canik, P80, etc) are gen 3 clones.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2023, 06:42:36 AM »
My experience with Glocks (thanks for the matrix, WJL)

Gen 1 - Doesn't fit my hand right
Gen 2 - Doesn't fit my hand right
Gen 3 - Doesn't fit my hand right
Gen 4 - Doesn't fit my hand right
Gen 5 - Doesn't fit my hand right

So, my full-size 9mm are my Vis 35 Radom and my Browning High Power.

My compact 9mm are my Walther CCP, which fits my hand better than any firearm I've ever owned, and my Ruger American.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2023, 07:25:56 AM »
You might also look at the 19x/G45.  19 sized barrel and slide with full sized grip and mags.  It makes for a pretty nice package.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2023, 09:18:22 PM »
https://aimsurplus.com/categories/firearm/handgun?mc_cid=eb3535c0d2&mc_eid=2d3cb38bb0
AIMSurplus has free shipping on handguns right now.  Not sure if they will have what you want.

https://aimsurplus.com/products/leo-trade-in-glock-17-gen-5-9mm-handgun
$400 G17.  I saw at least one G30 as well.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2023, 01:20:44 AM »
Big ol mitts and finger grooves might not agree. I have two identical G17 gen 2 just because of that. I had a 34 for gun games that the rules said I couldn’t chop off the finger grooves and I did fine, just not the favorite. Time to get two gen5 just because I want identical spares and worry the ones I have are getting old.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 10:35:34 PM »
G17 Gen 5 police trade ins for $399 on AIM Surplus right now