Author Topic: Titanic tourist sub goes missing  (Read 15352 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2023, 03:31:18 AM »
I'm at a loss as to why anyone would pay $1/4Mil just to say they saw the wreck with their own eyeballs, regardless of one's personal wealth.

Come to think of it, I'm at a loss as to why anyone would pay a buck and a quarter just to say they saw the wreck with their own eyeballs, regardless of one's personal wealth.

There must be a mess of images and movies available for safe viewing even on the net.

If the thing did implode, at that pressure, over 400 Atm (over 6,000 pounds per square inch), they possibly would have been instantly incinerated by the Diesel effect.  It only takes about 20 Atm (~300 psi)  to ignite Diesel fuel.

I understand from a news report I just saw (0200) on TV, that they've had a lot of mechanical problems with the sub, with a series of aborted expeditions.  According to one news person invited on one of the trips, they had to abort after descending only 37 feet.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Whimsically related):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailors%27_superstitions
An appetizer for you whistlers:
"Whistling is usually considered to be bad luck with the possible exception of the sources mentioned below. It is said that to whistle is to challenge the wind itself, and that to do so will bring about a storm."

On the other hand, black cats aboard ships are considered good luck.  Go figure.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 04:34:38 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2023, 07:27:16 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2023, 07:44:55 AM »
Tourists who pay $250,000 to descend almost 13,000 feet below sea level to view the wreck of the Titanic must sign a waiver saying they accept the submersible is not approved by any regulatory body, it has been revealed.

It was last heard from on Sunday morning, one hour and 45 minutes into its mission.

Reaching the wreck usually takes two and a half hours.

So they still had some distance to go.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12212461/This-experimental-vessel-not-approved-regulatory-body-Titaniac-waiver.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2023, 08:07:43 AM »
I'm at a loss as to why anyone would pay $1/4Mil just to say they saw the wreck with their own eyeballs, regardless of one's personal wealth.

Come to think of it, I'm at a loss as to why anyone would pay a buck and a quarter just to say they saw the wreck with their own eyeballs, regardless of one's personal wealth.

There must be a mess of images and movies available for safe viewing even on the net. . . .
Probably for the same reason that some people pay more than $75,000 for premium Super Bowl tickets, when the best view of the game will be on the big 4k flat panel TV in their living room. They just want to say "I've got the money to do that!" Pretty expensive to peer through a little porthole for a little while. (When the channel broadcasting the game turns their camera on the crowd, notice how a lot of people in the stands are "live streaming" the game and watching on their phone or tablet? And the executive boxes have TVs in them!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2023, 08:21:55 AM »
There is absolutely something beyond bragging rights you can get from travel when you're able to actually be someplace and experience a place of interest.

I'm not saying that is how I'd personally spend a quarter of a million, but pretending that pictures and videos are the same thing as going someplace consequential is small minded and sour grapes.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2023, 08:26:17 AM »
There is absolutely something beyond bragging rights you can get from travel when you're able to actually be someplace and experience a place of interest.

I'm not saying that is how I'd personally spend a quarter of a million, but pretending that pictures and videos are the same thing as going someplace consequential is small minded and sour grapes.

Along those lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn9eqcqr64k
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2023, 08:35:58 AM »
So they still had some distance to go.

Indicates catastrophic failure. With entanglement or power loss, there are too many safety failsafes to not have at least one activate. Comms, transponders, auto-release ballast, auto-release emergency beacon (I'm assuming like an EPIRB). All that stuff should have some kind of backup power.

That comms went dark and nothing activated seems to indicate something big happened. No flotsam seems kind of strange though, if that's what happened. Big ocean though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2023, 08:43:42 AM »
Indicates catastrophic failure. With entanglement or power loss, there are too many safety failsafes to not have at least one activate. Comms, transponders, auto-release ballast, auto-release emergency beacon (I'm assuming like an EPIRB). All that stuff should have some kind of backup power.

That comms went dark and nothing activated seems to indicate something big happened. No flotsam seems kind of strange though, if that's what happened. Big ocean though.

What I was thinking. If the times are anything to go by they were ~2/3 of the way down so even if they lost power they could still have manually dropped ballast and risen to the surface. Last ping was received at the 1 hour 45 minutes mark so something catastrophic probably happened shortly after that.
If they did implode or other wise spring a leak it's going to be a bear finding what's left in the Titanic's debris field.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2023, 09:01:54 AM »
Always the remote possibility they are bobbing around on the surface and just haven't been found yet and I think that's what's many are hoping for. Currents could have carried them far away from the mother ship on the way up. Again remote but can't be overlooked. I would think there would be emergency transponders that would have been picked up long before now but this thing seems from reports to have been somewhat Jerry-rigged so who knows.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 09:26:33 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2023, 10:25:28 AM »
Sorry, but "bragging rights" don't cut it for me. Stet on "I'm at a loss..."

Parallel?

Depth-testing of the USS Thresher submarine.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/uss-thresher-submarine-disaster-navy-documents-released/

The crew indicated it was attempting to empty ballast tanks in an effort to surface. The crew of an accompanying rescue ship heard something about the "test depth." Then the sailors listened as the sub disintegrated under the crushing pressure of the sea.
Resting on the ocean floor at a depth of 8,500 feet, the Thresher looks as though it went through a "shredding machine" and is spread out over a mile, University of Rhode Island oceanographer Robert Ballard told The Associated Press in 2013. Ballard used his 1985 discovery of the RMS Titanic as a Cold War cover for surveying the Thresher.

Not everyone was satisfied with the Navy's conclusions.

Terry "That's just me," 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2023, 10:35:37 AM »
Can't compare the Navy's reasons for testing a cold war submarine to why people would risk their lives and pay $$$$$ to visit the world's most famous wreck. Apples and oranges. Why do people still line up to climb Mt. Everest despite the fact many still die to this day in the attempt?
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2023, 11:18:06 AM »
Why do people still line up to climb Mt. Everest despite the fact many still die to this day in the attempt?
Because they don't know about Google Maps.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2023, 11:36:33 AM »
The most likely result now is a dead crew that is never found. I suspect that it will come out that the company needed the paid fare to continue operating. The cut corners that attend to that pressure will be huge.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2023, 11:57:24 AM »
One day some other Titanic explorers will come across new debris scattered in and around the Titanic debris field.  It will be from the imploded tourist sub.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2023, 12:35:34 PM »
Since Oceangate is headquartered and the vehicles are manufactured in Snohomish County, I will be interested to see the lawsuits against them filed in the local Snohomish County Superior Court or in the Western District of Washington in Seattle for the Federal suits.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2023, 12:50:12 PM »
Since Oceangate is headquartered and the vehicles are manufactured in Snohomish County, I will be interested to see the lawsuits against them filed in the local Snohomish County Superior Court or in the Western District of Washington in Seattle for the Federal suits.

Can a lawsuit get around the waiver they have to sign?

Tourists who pay $250,000 to descend almost 13,000 feet below sea level to view the wreck of the Titanic must sign a waiver saying they accept the submersible is not approved by any regulatory body, it has been revealed.
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2023, 12:57:20 PM »
Can a lawsuit get around the waiver they have to sign?

Absolutely.  Depending on the specifics, many waivers are not enforceable in court, especially in Washington state.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2023, 01:02:36 PM »
Absolutely.  Depending on the specifics, many waivers are not enforceable in court, especially in Washington state.
The CEO will be crushed.
7-11 was a part time job.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2023, 01:04:55 PM »

There is probably no regulatory body for deep sea human habitable submarines and submersibles.

Much like there is no regulatory body for human spaceflight capsules. NASA is not a regulatory body, and the FAA simply requires the launch to offer no undue threat to the rest of the public. "Man rated" spacecraft are a myth and NASA's human rating system is not an official stamp of any kind of competency.

This incident has the potential to stymie human spaceflight progress with any legal precedent.  I rather hope that heirs and descendants accept the word of their lost loved ones, and the honor of their commitments.  I rather doubt they'll be rejecting the legitimacy of the activated Wills and Trusts due to this event... these people wanted to further human exploration of new frontiers and risked their lives for it.  Maybe they were rich bastards,  but then again so was Shackleton.  Stuff doesn't get discovered by poor commonfolk.  And I sure would like a new age of discovery.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2023, 01:20:36 PM »
Quote from: AZRedhawk44
This incident has the potential to stymie human spaceflight progress with any legal precedent.  I rather hope that heirs and descendants accept the word of their lost loved ones, and the honor of their commitments.  I rather doubt they'll be rejecting the legitimacy of the activated Wills and Trusts due to this event... these people wanted to further human exploration of new frontiers and risked their lives for it.  Maybe they were rich bastards,  but then again so was Shackleton.  Stuff doesn't get discovered by poor commonfolk.  And I sure would like a new age of discovery.

Qft.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2023, 01:29:39 PM »
Well, nobody can say that the CEO won't pay a price.

OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush among 5 onboard missing Titan submarine, company says
An OceanGate spokesperson tells Fox News' Tamara Gitt that the company's CEO, Stockton Rush, is among the five people who are now missing after its Titan submarine vanished during a dive Sunday to the wreck site of the Titanic.

“OceanGate can confirm that CEO Stockton Rush is aboard the submersible as a member of the crew," the spokesperson said.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2023, 01:34:13 PM »
Well, nobody can say that the CEO won't pay a price.

The CEO will be crushed.

Prescient.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2023, 01:47:52 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2023, 02:43:56 PM »
Coast Guard saying even if they found the sub there's really nothing they can do.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12215585/Coast-Guard-admits-not-able-rescue-five-people-board-missing-Titanic-tourist-sub.html

So, they finally caught up and said the quiet part out loud?

bob

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2023, 02:48:10 PM »
So, they finally caught up and said the quiet part out loud?

bob

One way to put it.
- Calvin and Hobbes