Author Topic: Titanic tourist sub goes missing  (Read 15355 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Titanic tourist sub goes missing
« Reply #525 on: July 20, 2023, 08:54:46 AM »
The Titan literally had lifting slings built in.  They are in every picture of it.

Harbor Freight tow straps
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #526 on: July 20, 2023, 01:16:15 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl:

Probably.  Actually lifting slings is something HF does pretty well, so more likely straps off a FB ad that also sells dog leashes and "fuel filters".

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #527 on: July 20, 2023, 03:48:28 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #528 on: July 20, 2023, 04:39:18 PM »

But what is the quality?  Is it Titan tested and OceanGate approved?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #529 on: July 28, 2023, 08:08:05 AM »
New video dropped where he goes into the coating used on the sub, construction, and testing.
Of note is video of struggles they had getting the sub back on the platform during a test dive. Some of the dialog during that test is eerily similar to some in the "transcript" to me.

More I see of this sub the more it reinforces Rush and company was winging it and was thinking "meh, close enough"

Titan Sub Wrong Coating? Hull Construction, Debris Field Search
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHgy1f_0vg

« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 08:56:15 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #530 on: October 11, 2023, 12:28:16 PM »
Thread necro:
Some remaining debris from the Titan submersible has been recovered by the Coast Guard.  Additional human remains were recovered, as well.
Story at The Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/11/titan-titanic-us-coast-guard-human-remains/
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #531 on: October 11, 2023, 01:09:58 PM »
I wonder if we will ever find out what form the human remains are in.  Would it be bone shards and fragments of teeth, or just an organic goo?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #532 on: October 11, 2023, 03:14:31 PM »
Thread necro:
Some remaining debris from the Titan submersible has been recovered by the Coast Guard.  Additional human remains were recovered, as well.
Story at The Telegraph.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/10/11/titan-titanic-us-coast-guard-human-remains/

Other notable absent facts are the HOW of how the Navy retrieved more vehicle and human remains.  ROV with better capacities than something like Victor 6000?  Undisclosed manned capabilities?  New tech developed recently? 

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #533 on: October 12, 2023, 08:14:42 AM »
I wonder if we will ever find out what form the human remains are in.  Would it be bone shards and fragments of teeth, or just an organic goo?

Any organic goo would probably have been eaten by whatever's down there, by now certainly.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #534 on: October 12, 2023, 08:43:45 AM »
Any organic goo would probably have been eaten by whatever's down there, by now certainly.

I remember reading somewhere there's not a ton of life in the deep oceans outside of the geo-thermal areas.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #535 on: October 12, 2023, 09:38:08 AM »
Most likely any remains were encapsulated by the debris they recovered.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #536 on: October 12, 2023, 11:55:34 AM »
I remember reading somewhere there's not a ton of life in the deep oceans outside of the geo-thermal areas.

Also, it's pretty cold down there.  I wonder if the normal decay processes could have proceeded very much.  Think Oetzi, "The Iceman," that well preserved 5ka old body found in the Alps.

I always assumed a compressed mixed mass of the bodies smooshed into one section of the debris.  I'm surprised to hear about another, separate, section with remains.

I also may have speculated about funeral/burial matters in this case and then withdrew the post.

I wonder if they found the window, or parts of it.  I questioned that earlier in this thread because transparent objects would be nearly invisible since their refractive index would be damned near the same as ocean water.

Terry, 230RN

REF ("Ötzi" WARNING -- a somewhat shocking pic of the corpse NSFChildren):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi

« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 12:33:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #537 on: October 12, 2023, 12:16:22 PM »
Also, it's pretty cold down there.  I wonder if the normal decay processes could have proceeded very much.  Think Oetzi, "The Iceman," that well preserved 3ka old body found in the Alps.

I always assumed a compressed mixed mass of the bodies smooshed into one section of the debris.  I'm surprised to hear about another, separate, section with remains.

I also may have speculated about funeral/burial matters in this case and then withdrew the post.

I wonder if they found the window, or parts of it.  I questioned that earlier in this thread because transparent objects would be nearly invisible since their refractive index would be damned near the same as ocean water.

The titanic victims bodies, including bones, totally disintegrated by the time the wreckage was found.  The shoes survived, and are the only indication that a body was ever there.  I’m not sure if it’s a bacterial or chemical process.  Probably some combination.  But bodies don’t persist at the bottom of the ocean, even where life is very sparse.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #538 on: October 12, 2023, 12:51:18 PM »
The titanic victims bodies, including bones, totally disintegrated by the time the wreckage was found.  The shoes survived, and are the only indication that a body was ever there.  I’m not sure if it’s a bacterial or chemical process.  Probably some combination.  But bodies don’t persist at the bottom of the ocean, even where life is very sparse.

Water is an exceptionally good solvent, but that was like 70 years, not a couple months.  Of course the mechanical mushing of the implosion could speed that process up as well.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #539 on: October 12, 2023, 01:16:11 PM »
Water is an exceptionally good solvent, but that was like 70 years, not a couple months.  Of course the mechanical mushing of the implosion could speed that process up as well.

Yes, but I was mostly refuting Terry’s surmising that bodies would be preserved at such depths, whereas clearly they aren’t.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #540 on: October 12, 2023, 01:46:54 PM »
Now I'm kinda morbidly curious how much of the disappearence was creature driven vs, just time and disolving.  Or do creatures get the soft stuff and the water and currents take care of the bones?

Someone somewhere has to have done a thesis on this.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #541 on: October 12, 2023, 06:42:39 PM »

Thank you.  I'm surprised that rather large time variable wasn't considered by that poster.

Yes, water is the "Universal Solvent" the old alchemists were seeking.  But even there, temperature of the solvent is also a variable.  Remember, at absolute zero, nothing would have happened. <grin>

Yes, but I was mostly refuting Terry’s surmising that bodies would be preserved at such depths, whereas clearly they aren’t.

Ditto on that one. We're talking a few months here, not 840 of them.  Gee whiz, there's nothing to "refute."  Sounds like some people just like to argue  for the sheer sake of arguing... not uncommon in the world today.

Anyone want to challenge my remarks about refractive index? Good grief.

A "puree" marble in a glass of water... why, it's almost invisible exept for the studio lights reflecting off it!

:rofl:

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 07:11:00 PM by 230RN »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #542 on: October 12, 2023, 08:00:59 PM »
Now I'm kinda morbidly curious how much of the disappearence was creature driven vs, just time and disolving.  Or do creatures get the soft stuff and the water and currents take care of the bones?

Someone somewhere has to have done a thesis on this.

There's an entire ecosystem down there living on the remains of fish, whales, etc.. that sink to the bottom after dying. Pretty much everything is eventually consumed, bones and all. Waste not, want not.
- Calvin and Hobbes

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #543 on: October 12, 2023, 08:19:02 PM »
Thank you.  I'm surprised that rather large time variable wasn't considered by that poster.

Yes, water is the "Universal Solvent" the old alchemists were seeking.  But even there, temperature of the solvent is also a variable.  Remember, at absolute zero, nothing would have happened. <grin>

Ditto on that one. We're talking a few months here, not 840 of them.  Gee whiz, there's nothing to "refute."  Sounds like some people just like to argue  for the sheer sake of arguing... not uncommon in the world today.

Anyone want to challenge my remarks about refractive index? Good grief.

A "puree" marble in a glass of water... why, it's almost invisible exept for the studio lights reflecting off it!

:rofl:

Terry, 230RN

You compared it to a 3000 year old human popsicle.  The difference in 70 years and 70 days in that context is meaningless.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #544 on: October 12, 2023, 08:33:37 PM »
You win.  I lose.