Author Topic: As if I needed another reason to never buy Ben & Jerry's  (Read 5821 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: As if I needed another reason to never buy Ben & Jerry's
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2023, 10:24:57 AM »
Seriously, does everything have to be black and white to you?
If I believed myself to be in possession of something I genuinely believed was stolen I'd want to return it even if I wasn't the original thief.  I guess not everyone feels that way.

Isn't it just fine to recognize that the history we are taught to believe is different than it really was?
Absolutely.  I'm aware of the historical wrongs done to various Indian tribes by various groups (including other Indians) over the centuries and I don't need to minimize them.  The point is, once you start obsessing about historical wrongs and "correcting" them in modern times you are really just creating new injustices.

As far as your claim about being a Native American because of some distant ancestor dating back to the 1500's or something, I guess that still really rubs me the wrong way.  You've played a little coy with exactly how many generations back your Taino/Arawak roots are supposed to be, but assuming they were 15 generations or so ago (an extremely conservative estimate based on the history you claim - it may have been more than that) then barring severe inbreeding that likely makes up no more than 1/16,384th of your extraction.  If that is your only connection then it's likely that Elizabeth Warren (and most of the people on this forum) is actually more Native American than you. 

I find it hilarious that it is likely that Ben is significantly more black than you are native.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2023, 10:51:06 AM »
I'm a lot more Native American than Elizabeth Warron, FYI.

So is my Chinese made waffle maker, what's your point?  :rofl:

My wife is Cherokee, on "the rolls" as it were.
I tell people I don't have any Indian in me but I've had a little of me in an Indian.  =D
I wouldn't be surprised to find I have some native ancestry but I don't claim it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2023, 11:19:44 AM »
I find it hilarious that it is likely that Ben is significantly more black than you are native.

Heh. It's likely many of us are. While it was surprising to read of African origins in the initial report, digging into the data at 23andme, we're talking connections that go back up to 200,000 years. Mine apparently came from my maternal haplogroup:

Ben, your maternal haplogroup is HV0a.
As our ancestors ventured out of eastern Africa, they branched off in diverse groups that crossed and recrossed the globe over tens of thousands of years. Some of their migrations can be traced through haplogroups, families of lineages that descend from a common ancestor. Your maternal haplogroup can reveal the path followed by the women of your maternal line.

Some of my maternal DNA apparently went for Africa to the Middle East before making it to Europe. My mom's side doesn't have records going back nearly as far as my dad's family, who can trace to the Middle Ages before it gets foggy, but it's definitely long enough back that the idea of identifying as something other than European would be ludicrous. When you go back 200,000 years, you can find all kinds of relationships. In fact most of us here probably have some common great grandmother x1000.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2023, 03:47:48 PM »
I'd LOVE to run my DNA but I don't have that kind of $ to throw away.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2023, 07:41:00 PM »
As a side note when E.Warren "apologize" when her DNA tests came back if you listen to what she actually said she apologized for taking the test not for claiming she was Cherokee this whole time. Wonder how many caught that
E.Warren had a drop of Cherokee blood, the operative word being "had."  Past tense.

You see, along came this mosquito, and . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2023, 07:34:51 AM »
Local chief wants to talk to B&J about the land B&J's HQ sits on.

A Native American chief in Vermont has called out Ben & Jerry's for having its headquarters on indigenous land.

The ice cream company has been receiving backlash after they tweeted on July 4th calling for the United States to 'return indigenous land'.

Now, Don Stevens, chief of the Nulhegan Band of the Coosuk Abenaki Nation, has told the New York Post that the land the company built their HQ on is on Native land.

Stevens said: 'If you look at the [Abenaki] traditional way of being, we are place-based people. Before recognized tribes in the state, we were the ones who were in this place.'

Stevens also said he 'looks forward to any kind of correspondence with the brand to see how they can better benefit indigenous people.'
Ben & Jerry's is accused of hypocrisy for calling on the US to hand over all 'stolen indigenous land' when its HQ sits on Native American soil in Vermont - as local chief calls for woke ice cream company to engage in talks
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12277027/Native-American-chief-says-Ben-Jerrys-hand-stolen-land-HQ-stands-on.html

[popcorn]
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2023, 08:02:57 AM »
"We at Ben and Jerry's decry the white paternalistic violent imperialism of the United States, which is why we have called for the return of stolen native land. However, the land on which our stores and our headquarters sit is not stolen native land because Ben and Jerry's is a loving, responsible steward who is a caretaker of the land for the wokeness of all. To show our fealty with our native brethren, we have released a limited time edition flavor called Blanket of Peace, which will be available only to those who are able to show authentic native roots."

In other news, a massive listeria outbreak has hit native American populations in the United States, sickening thousands...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2023, 11:21:14 AM »

In other news, a massive listeria outbreak has hit native American populations in the United States, sickening thousands...

It was either that or smallpox but they wouldn't take the damn blankets saying, "We have seen this before paleface!"! ;)

bob

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2023, 11:42:11 AM »
Local chief wants to talk to B&J about the land B&J's HQ sits on.
Ben & Jerry's is accused of hypocrisy for calling on the US to hand over all 'stolen indigenous land' when its HQ sits on Native American soil in Vermont - as local chief calls for woke ice cream company to engage in talks
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12277027/Native-American-chief-says-Ben-Jerrys-hand-stolen-land-HQ-stands-on.html

[popcorn]
Man, does everything have to be black and white with those real Native Americans?!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2023, 11:57:02 AM »
Man, does everything have to be black and white with those real Native Americans?!

Shouldn't that be red and white?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2023, 08:18:02 PM »
The Abenaki tribe has taken notice of Ben & Jerry's message:

https://www.outkick.com/native-americans-ben-jerrys-land-back-abenaki-nation/

Nulhegan Band of The Coosuk Abenaki Nation Chief Don Stevens informed Newsweek he’s very interested in getting the land Ben & Jerry’s headquarters is on because it originally belonged to his tribe.

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   [ar15]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2023, 09:17:47 PM »
Ben And Jerry Announce Native Americans May Exchange White Man’s Scalp For Free Pint Of Chunky Monkey
https://babylonbee.com/news/ben-and-jerry-announce-native-americans-may-exchange-white-mans-scalp-for-free-pint-of-chunky-monkey
- Calvin and Hobbes