Author Topic: Proffee  (Read 783 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Proffee
« on: June 29, 2023, 05:40:03 PM »
I have discovered proffee. Basically substituting protein powder or part of a protein shake for half and half in coffee (some people do it more like half protein shake, half coffee).

I guess it has been a thing for a while, but I just stumbled upon it because the protein shake I normally drink, vanilla Premier Protein, is supposedly the best of the bunch as a half and half substitute. It tastes surprisingly good, and the bonus is that you don't need to add sugar, sweetener, or stevia, because the protein shake (at least the premier) adds some sweetness with very little sugar.

On a side note, protein powder and shakes have gone through the roof in price. The premier is $30 for 18 containers at the Costco. Which I already thought was expensive compared to the 20-ish I was previously paying, but yesterday for some reason my Costco didn't have any out, so I bought Core Power chocolate instead. $30 for 10 containers (albeit it 14oz instead of 11.5). And on Amazon it's $35 for 6. Holy moly. On the bright side, it's the best tasting protein shake I've ever had. Tastes exactly like chocolate milk, but without all the sugars and fats.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: Proffee
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 07:49:44 PM »
It seems like there's always protein powder on sale at my local grocery; if I wasn't picky I could pick up one of those big jugs for under $20.

Other than that, I'd be concerned that the powder wouldn't mix well in a hot beaver age. I suppose your experience has shown otherwise.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 08:11:05 PM »
It seems like there's always protein powder on sale at my local grocery; if I wasn't picky I could pick up one of those big jugs for under $20.

Other than that, I'd be concerned that the powder wouldn't mix well in a hot beaver age. I suppose your experience has shown otherwise.

Well, I'm using the premixed shake, so it's basically like pouring cream into the coffee. Otherwise, yeah, protein powder can be a bear to mix. When I was buying powder to make protein shakes, I'd always use a blender.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 10:31:25 PM »
So what's the difference between drinking protein shakes/coffee creamer vs. eating a more protein diet?

My coffee creamer is whole milk, couple ounces gives me 2 g of protein.

Breakfast is either a peanut butter sandwich or 4 eggs. Sometimes a handful of nuts if I'm going to have to take a late lunch.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• I saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be infringed.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 11:28:54 PM »
"So what's the difference between drinking protein shakes/coffee creamer vs. eating a more protein diet? "

Ask your medical professional.

But my first reaction lies in lack of direct control of sugar and salt etc ingredients in the shakes and the creamer without detailed examination of ingredient lists.  Sure, something contains 2 grams of protein (Yay), but it also contains 15 grams of agonium deathoxide, Ao3DeO6 (Boo, hisss)  And would you know what Ao3DeO6 is in the first place?

Yuchhh.  But just a fanciful exaggeration.

My second reaction is curiosity as to why you are inquiring and hoping everything is OK.

Just "general purposes?"

Versus an MD-mandated dietary change requiring close attention to details?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 11:56:53 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 12:40:24 AM »
I thought protein supplements were pointless unless you are a vegan or otherwise have a deficit diet. This whole business of protein shakes/powder is just that, a good business, but eating extra protein just results in making your kidney work harder to pee it out. Am I wrong? What is supplementing protein supposed to achieve and is there actual evidence that it works?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 07:15:19 AM »
I thought protein supplements were pointless unless you are a vegan or otherwise have a deficit diet. This whole business of protein shakes/powder is just that, a good business, but eating extra protein just results in making your kidney work harder to pee it out. Am I wrong? What is supplementing protein supposed to achieve and is there actual evidence that it works?

That's my problem, too much protein and I get kidney stones.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 07:16:49 AM »
My second reaction is curiosity as to why you are inquiring and hoping everything is OK.

Just "general purposes?"

Versus an MD-mandated dietary change requiring close attention to details?

Oh, I'm fine (well the best one can be anyways)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2023, 07:29:12 AM »
I'm an old guy. Following the science, it's recommended that the elderly take in 1-1.2 gram of protein daily for every 1 kilogram of bodyweight in order to mitigate age related muscle degradation (versus 0.8 grams for younger people). That recommendation is for sedentary to moderately active old farts. As activity increases, so does protein recommendation.

Besides being old, I work on the farm every day and still do at least 120 minutes per week of yoga/boxing/bodyweight workouts/sprints. I keep a myfitnesspal diary which computes on average, a 120 gram per day protein requirement for me, and that doesn't compute the "old man" requirement. If I worked out at 30 the way I do now, I'd probably look like a gym musclehead. As it is, at 63, all that work just keeps the muscle I have. Congratulations, slowing metabolism, you win.

Hence, it is very difficult for me to meet my daily protein requirements with a balanced, varied diet without going over maximum recommendations on things like fats, sugars, and cholesterol. Eggs, for instance, give you nearly the same amounts of fat as protein, and they throw your cholesterol through the roof. Hence if I eat a lot of eggs (which I do a few times a week), I then have to make up for the fat with low fat food which is also often low in protein. I could do something like eat salmon and beans every day, but that would get boring.

Hence I eat a varied diet to meet my other daily dietary requirements, but supplement with protein shakes to meet my protein requirements. More often than not, that's a protein shake around 4-5PM as my "dinner" to assist with intermittent fasting while getting in that last bit of protein I need to get close to my daily requirement.

This is just me though. You guys do you.  =)

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2023, 09:51:27 AM »
Added dietary Protien is also helpful if you are working out and trying to build more mucsle mass.

That said I like the taste of my coffee, and drink it black, like my heart.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 10:02:58 AM »
Straight black coffee here too.
If someone hands me a coffee with sugar in it I can't drink it, it's nasty.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 10:06:06 AM »
That said I like the taste of my coffee, and drink it black, like my heart.

I kinda mix it up. I'll have it black sometimes, mixed with half and half and stevia sometimes (or now protein). I like it black when I'm having steak and eggs for breakfast, or when in the goose blind, but I like it with additives if I'm having pancakes or similar for breakfast, or with the dessert at a restaurant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 10:11:19 AM »
I kinda mix it up. I'll have it black sometimes, mixed with half and half and stevia sometimes (or now protein). I like it black when I'm having steak and eggs for breakfast, or when in the goose blind, but I like it with additives if I'm having pancakes or similar for breakfast, or with the dessert at a restaurant.

That's what Jameson is for.   >:D >:D

I will add that that's for drip (or pourover) coffee.  Espresso drinks and specialty coffee's (like cuban espresso, cafe con leche, or turkish coffee) are separate drinks and I drink them with appropriate additives.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 10:12:49 AM »
That's what Jameson is for.   >:D >:D

Good point. I do a "wee drop" on occasion as well.  =)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 10:17:17 AM »
or turkish coffee)

That reminds me that I need to make Turkish coffee again. I was on a kick for a while a few years back, and have the little copper pot and tiny cups and everything. I need to order a bag of turkish coffee and make some again.

The first time I had it was as "Armenian coffee" a few decades ago. I was with my Armenian ex-brother-in-law and we were visiting with one of his traditional Armenian friends. Holy crap, was that stuff thick and strong!

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2023, 10:18:55 AM »
I'll be sticking to my diet. Big breakfast, small lunch, and pumpkin pie and coffee at supper time. YUM!

Woody  :old:
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2023, 01:14:57 PM »
Barfee...

My coffee only contains, beans, water, half and half, and rage. Lots and lots of rage.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2023, 01:24:38 PM »
Calm down K Fudd, there's lots of good caffeine in the world.  No one's coming for your Folgers.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2023, 01:25:32 PM »
Calm down K Fudd, there's lots of good caffeine in the world.  No one's coming for your Folgers.

:rofl:

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2023, 01:30:19 PM »
When I was working for a living my lunch was a GNC Lean 25 chocolate protein shake with about 2 heaping tablespoons of instant coffee dumped in it, also a squirt of dark chocolate syrup. Sounds nasty, might be to some but it would carry me through the afternoon when everyone else was nodding off from carb overload.  I'll admit it, I am a chocoholic which in the long run is cheaper than being an alcoholic.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 01:37:52 PM »
If you drink Folgers you deserve to have someone come for you.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2023, 07:33:02 PM »
In Bosnia when you order coffee they will give you a cigarette whether you wanted one or not.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!