Author Topic: Prime Day deals  (Read 620 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Prime Day deals
« on: July 11, 2023, 09:47:25 AM »
Figured we might as well have a thread to alert each other about interesting Prime Day finds.

First thing I ran across was the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition in 4K for $40 (regularly $90).

For the GoT devotee's, the 4K Complete Series set is marked down from $250 to $100.

TPLink TL-SG108 switch is on for $18 (managed version for $25)

Couple of really sweet deals on laptops.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Prime Day deals
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 09:54:42 AM »
I was looking at some tool deals and the KIMO rechargeable 3/8 ratchet comes up with 2 12v batts charger, sockets in a kit for $69.
I’m shopping Milwaukee and not seeing screaming bargains but this was tempting.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 10:17:08 AM »
7.3 quart Amazon Basics red enameled cast iron dutch oven... $43.

I am SERIOUSLY tempted.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Enameled-Covered-Dutch-7-3-Quart/dp/B073Q9PSWD?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_1a126f73_11&th=1
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2023, 10:26:22 AM »
Screw it, I bought it. Cost me $2.28 after I used the balance on my Amazon gift card.

That bad boy is going to make a lot of chili this coming winter!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 01:18:52 PM »
I picked up a Kindle Oasis for $100 off to replace my ten year old paperwhite. I'd been looking at the Scribe, and they have a deal there too, but I'm just not impressed at the price point. The Oasis give a 7" screen, the same 25 LEDs, plus both wifi and cellular and waterproof, plus the page turn buttons, which I still miss from my original Kindle.

I see they have a lot of solar power kit deals today at some pretty hefty discounts, and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one of the 200 watt kits. I'd figure on using it for remote power on the farm for maybe another weather station or small pond pump, and/or experimenting with it with battery arrays for emergency backup power for lower draw stuff where the genny is overkill.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 09:06:46 PM »
I was looking at headphones yesterday before the deals started, went back and looked at the same models today, which were advertised as being 45-50% off for prime day.

Same prices.  One of them might be $4 cheaper. :facepalm:

They're advertising the percentage off the MSRP, but they weren't selling anywhere near MSRP prior to the sale. ;/
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 09:09:55 PM »
Yeah, their sales aren’t all that great. CamelCamelCamel helps spot that too.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2023, 09:21:54 PM »
I was looking at headphones yesterday before the deals started, went back and looked at the same models today, which were advertised as being 45-50% off for prime day.

Same prices.  One of them might be $4 cheaper. :facepalm:

They're advertising the percentage off the MSRP, but they weren't selling anywhere near MSRP prior to the sale. ;/

That's not just on Prime Day, that's pretty much the daily deals everyday. Prime Day, Deal of the Day, and Lightning Deals are not at all what they were ten years ago. Back then they didn't pull the MSRP crap. Well, they did, but they listed MSRP, regular Amazon price, and the deal price. That way you knew what your actual discount was.

Now they don't do that anymore, and most of the discounts are like 5% off the regular Amazon price. There's still some good deals to be had, but you have to really do your homework. The Oasis was a good deal for me, because in the case of Amazon devices, "MSRP" is the regular Amazon price. That's probably the same for all the Amazon branded stuff.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 07:23:02 AM »
"The Oasis was a good deal for me, because in the case of Amazon devices, "MSRP" is the regular Amazon price. That's probably the same for all the Amazon branded stuff."

Yep, that's the same deal with the Amazon Basics dutch oven I bought.

Since it's Amazon branded, the % off is the reduction on the regular Amazon price.

I would like to have had it in either blue or green, but those weren't on sale and are pushing $90 regular price.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 09:06:50 AM »
Yeah, plenty of shenanigans on prices, but it can be on markdown for old product clearance, too. Retailers begin receiving holiday merch July/Aug so it's a good time to liquidate old stock and previous models. Doesn't hurt that a lot of folks begin shopping for Back to School and Christmas right about now.

Helped a friend find a laptop yesterday. The one she settled on, a Lenovo, is last year's model. Not a giveaway by any long stretch, but decently discounted - enough to put it within her budget. Lenovo just cycled in the replacement so my guess is Amazon is using Prime Day to clear out remaining 2022 stock.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2023, 09:20:50 AM »
Cordex's recommendation on camelcamelcamel is good to, as that site also gives historical pricing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2023, 06:00:52 PM »
Well, it was definitely time to upgrade the Kindle, especially at that price. With the 7" screen instead of the paperwhite 6" screen, I was expecting the Oasis to be bigger than my circa 2013 Paperwhite. Nope, overall a smaller and much lighter form factor. It's slightly wider, but that's the page turn button area, and man am I glad to have them back. Holding it on on the page turn frame is way more comfortable than any of the ways I held the paperwhite that didn't put my thumb or fingers over part of the screen.

Also, Amazon seems to have upgraded the software. After I got my account set up, it automatically organized all my books and also created subfolders for all the book series that I have. And I have a lot of them. I was wanting to do that on the old Kindle, but manually it's a pain in the ass for that many books. The lighting, plus the warm light, is better than the old paperwhite. Anyways, a Prime Day purchase that I'm happy with, especially for the price.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2023, 07:47:07 PM »
My 7.3 quart dutch oven has arrived.

Holy crap this thing is huge and heavy!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2023, 10:56:45 PM »

:laugh:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge