Author Topic: Microsoft upends Office  (Read 1900 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Microsoft upends Office
« on: July 15, 2023, 11:12:02 PM »
It seems like it was just yesterday that Microsoft replaced Arial with Calibri as the default sans serif font in Office. It was actually something like 15 years ago, which to someone of my age doesn't seem like all that long. To the kids at Microsoft, through, it's far too long. So now they "fixed" it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/so-long-calbri-welcome-microsofts-new-default-font-for-its-office-apps-aptos

Yes, Calibri is being replaced by a new font called Aptos. This statement struck me as indicative of how out of touch the folks at Microsoft are:

After what might have seemed like an eternity, Microsoft has finally decided to switch things up across its Office apps by changing the default font.

Emphasis added. So now 15 years is "an eternity." I think the people at Microsoft need to get out in the real world and ask real people if they give a flying [bleep] what the default font is. Personally, I still use Arial as the default sans serif font.

So why is a post about fonts in Microsoft Office in the Politics discussion area? Because the article ended with this gem:

The company has indicated that the implementation of this change is part of this broader plan that it intends to incorporate into Microsoft 365. Its goal is to make the platform "more expressive and inclusive."

"We can’t wait for Aptos to be readily available since it was crafted to embody the many aspects of the human experience," says Microsoft.

:facepalm: So Microsoft somehow thinks that Calibri isn't "inclusive"? WTF? These people are on crack.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
Re: Microsoft upends Office
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 11:33:06 PM »
Inclusive fonts . . . right. There are quite a few out there. Here's an example that seems to include various types of people.

I decided not to post some I came across that weren't, shall we say, family friendly. 
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 01:40:35 AM »
So making a set of applications that are easy to use and useful for their customers is not really at the top of their concerns.  I guess I already knew that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 12:01:43 PM »
Office 365 is *expletive deleted*it anyway. I have to use Google to get anything done.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 05:50:45 PM »
The world is big enough that there's a passionate subculture delving into the minutia of... everything.  Not being part of the... typesetting? subculture, to me it looks like a relatively non-offensive san serif font.  So, meh.  I probably wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out.

At least isn't not a serif.