Author Topic: Zeihan on gold  (Read 1125 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Zeihan on gold
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2024, 09:34:29 AM »
Be our luck the day after we switch back to gold backed econ someone will announce they've developed a way to turn lead into for gold for pennies per pound.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Zeihan on gold
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2024, 10:03:28 AM »
And those people probably still look at you and think you are rich. 

I may have it wrong, but I also remember hearing govt disability was rolled into Social Security many years ago.  But there is no fraud or corruption in that system so that can't be part of the problem.

Disability has been part of SS for as long as I've been aware of disability payments.

I'm not at the top of potential benefits but I'm not far off.  If I retired in disability today SSDI would pay around $3500/mo of my $6900/mo taxable income (note, I'd have another $9100/mo in untaxable income - yay for being WAY over-insured).

If SSDI were my only income stream I'd go bankrupt if swmbo didn't get a good paying job quickly.
Formerly sumpnz