Author Topic: Car recommendation?  (Read 1548 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Car recommendation?
« on: August 03, 2023, 06:54:28 PM »
I don’t know yet what insurance will give us for the Highlander but I’ll need to replace it.  Edmunds/KBB says $16-18k for value.  Ones I’m finding for sale locally put it at $20-24k.  My parents gave us that car on the proviso that is be available for their exclusive use when they visit.  At the moment we’re down to 2 working vehicles, and I plan to get the Forester running before we buy anything.  I’ll have it towed to a shop soon as we get the check from insurance.

But, with the new job, 3 cars with 3 drivers leaves my parents high and dry if they visit.  They said another Highlander isn’t super desirable.  They said the Forester would be fine once it’s running reliably, but as mentioned that will be needed for daily use by my family (likely will be my commuter vehicle when I’m not bicycling). 

Wife is adamant that we not get another Subaru after the problems we’ve had with the Forester.  Her only other requirement is that we get a color other than silver/grey.

So what is a good car in the size range from Forester to Highlander that’s in the $16-24k range?  Seems like 2017-2019 Hyundai Santa Fe’s are in that price range, as are similar age Kia Sorento’s.  But I don’t know much about those cars and I’m sure there are other good options to consider.
Formerly sumpnz

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Car recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 08:19:18 PM »
I'm thinking about getting another Buick LeSabre.  The one we had back around 2000 was a great car until my daughter wrecked it, and it did a good job of protecting her in the crash.  (she hit a deer at about 50 to 60 MPH)  It's a very comfortable "old man" car, and has decent performance and fuel economy.  I'm not sure when they stopped making them but probably about 20 years ago.
"It's good, though..."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 10:36:37 PM »
Sumpz - what kind of driving would your parents be doing?  What are the road conditions?  Would a car be OK or does it need to be an SUV?
If a 4-door car will suit, try looking at the Hyundai Sonata.  Last I heard, it's a 2.5L 4 cyl. with decent MPG.  I have a 2011 Elantra but it is smaller 4-door with only a 1.8L engine.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 10:51:09 PM »
Sumpz - what kind of driving would your parents be doing?  What are the road conditions?  Would a car be OK or does it need to be an SUV?
If a 4-door car will suit, try looking at the Hyundai Sonata.  Last I heard, it's a 2.5L 4 cyl. with decent MPG.  I have a 2011 Elantra but it is smaller 4-door with only a 1.8L engine.

Mostly driving around town.   Possibly with golf clubs.  When they were up over Christmas the weather was terrible, with very slick conditions.  They’d probably appreciate AWD because of that.  They really like the higher seating position and consequent visibility of SUVs and crossovers.  So a regular sedan is probably out.
Formerly sumpnz

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 02:15:47 AM »
I really like the Mazda crossovers.  We sold my wife's Mazda3 when we bought her current Alfa, and I'm really considering going back to a Mazda this winter.  The 3 was a really nice car to sit in, and completely trouble free for us.  I think a CX-9 in the same year range as the Kia/Hyundai you mentioned would also be in your price range.

Or a used Pilot.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 09:02:01 AM »
Don’t know when our new car will come in but when it does, we will have a very nice ford fusion to sell unless they treat us well on trade in. 2014 with 116,000 and very well equiped and clean.
Problem is our new Kia hybrid could be anywhere from 2-6 months out.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 09:12:56 AM »
In that price range you're probably going to be seeing a lot of the following:

Ford Edge
Ford Escape
Ford Explorer (will be higher miles in your price range)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Chevy Equinox
Jeep Renegade & Compass (avoid, seem to be generally problematic)
Buick Encore
Nissan Rogue (avoid models with the CVT transmission)
Toyota RAV4
Kia Sorento

There are others, but those are the ones we see a lot of around here. If you limit yourself to lower miles, say anything under $22k with less than 30,000 miles, pickings get pretty slim and a lot of them are Jeep Renegades. I've known several people with Renegades & Compasses and they all had problems. The only thing I'd personally buy from the list is a Ford Escape. They seem to be decent, honest, reliable transportation if you stay away from "don't buy" years.

Also, I notice the Kia Soul can be had new for under $23,000 in some configurations. It might not be the fanciest car ever, but there's something to be said for having a warranty and presumed reliability of a new vehicle.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 11:04:45 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 09:18:28 AM »
No vehicle recommendation, and not to jump on the Mike Irwin "spend that sweet new mula you're making" bandwagon  :laugh:  but have you considered spending dough on a newer vehicle for you and relegating one of your current vehicles to your parents?

It sounds like they just visit once in a while, and you drive every day. Seems like it would make more sense to buy the new car for you and let them drive your older car whenever they visit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 09:30:46 AM »
"not to jump on the Mike Irwin "spend that sweet new mula you're making" bandwagon"

Whatever became of that ahole? He disappeared well over a year ago. Just poof, and he's gone....

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 09:35:14 AM »
Since we're spending his money, let's talk home theater systems...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 09:37:27 AM »
HOME theater?

Screw that. He needs to buy his own theater -- building, box office, all!

Think big or stop thinking.  :rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 10:36:22 AM »
No vehicle recommendation, and not to jump on the Mike Irwin "spend that sweet new mula you're making" bandwagon  :laugh:  but have you considered spending dough on a newer vehicle for you and relegating one of your current vehicles to your parents?

It sounds like they just visit once in a while, and you drive every day. Seems like it would make more sense to buy the new car for you and let them drive your older car whenever they visit.

I tend be the type to drive the oldest, highest mileage vehicles the most to preserve the life/value of the newest cars the longest.  Besides, my parents gave us the Highlander, it was the newest/nicest/lowest mileage car until it self-immolated, so it seems only “fair” that the replacement be in the same category.
Formerly sumpnz

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 10:46:05 AM »
My wife really likes her 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe, and it has been trouble free for almost three years.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 11:01:18 AM »
I really like the Toyota Rav4.  I have a 2002.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 01:19:53 PM »
"not to jump on the Mike Irwin "spend that sweet new mula you're making" bandwagon"

Whatever became of that ahole? He disappeared well over a year ago. Just poof, and he's gone....
I'm glad that jerkwagon is gone.
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 01:37:17 PM »
I'm glad that jerkwagon is gone.

He's living rent-free center of your brain, apparently...

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2023, 02:34:08 PM »
He's living rent-free center of your brain, apparently...
No. You.
7-11 was a part time job.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2023, 05:19:24 PM »
No. You.

I"m going to be feng shiuing your brain... You might feel... well... lots of things.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2023, 01:50:44 PM »
 :facepalm:  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2023, 08:33:58 AM »
I have a 2019Buick Encore, fwd, got 28000 miles.  Nice little vehicle with decent room and good gas mileage.  I like it. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2023, 09:16:27 AM »
I"m going to be feng shiuing your brain... You might feel... well... lots of things.
:O   Please keep that between yourselves. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2023, 09:41:27 AM »
In that price range you're probably going to be seeing a lot of the following:

Ford Edge
Ford Escape
Ford Explorer (will be higher miles in your price range)
Mitsubishi Outlander
Chevy Equinox
Jeep Renegade & Compass (avoid, seem to be generally problematic)
Buick Encore
Nissan Rogue (avoid models with the CVT transmission)
Toyota RAV4
Kia Sorento

I've heard that the equinox has a pretty decent history of electrical issues, and frankly I'd avoid anything with a cvt. Nissan has had big reliability issues with them; plus they're just weird to drive. You should probably be able to find Cherokees in that price range; but stick with the V6 or the turbo 2.0. Its the craptastic 2.4 that is the source of most of the issues in the smaller jeeps. You could also look at the VW Tiguan.

HankB

• friend
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Formerly sumpnz

grampster

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2023, 01:58:28 PM »
I've had several Murano's, 2005, 2011, 2014, 2018 and our present 2022.  Never had any problem with anything connected to the CVT tranny.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw