Author Topic: Getting a new family member (or maybe he's getting us)  (Read 3290 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Getting a new family member (or maybe he's getting us)
« on: August 09, 2023, 02:41:52 PM »
Acquaintances moved to a rural area near Austin and didn't want to take their cat because of the high coyote population. Unfortunately he decided to exit the operation as they were trying to leave town (there's a lot more to the story, some of which I'm still decidedly angry about, but not salient to this post). That was two months ago. A week or two back he showed up at one of their previous neighbor's houses and the neighbor called after having his chip read. They still don't want to take him to their new location so we agreed to take him.

Meet Raj

He should be making his entrance today or tomorrow. We'll spend a few days getting him set up with food/water/litter box locations, general acclimation, and seeing how he does in a single-critter household. Probably take him for a general vet checkup considering he's been who-knows-where for the last two months.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 02:58:04 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Getting a new family member (or maybe he's getting us)
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 03:11:54 PM »
Congrats on your new owner
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 04:57:54 PM »
Two months and still looking good?  I wonder if there's another family now looking for him.

Don't tell me his surname is Koothrappali.

Wife1 and I rescued a couple of cats and it turned out pretty good.  One disappeared long after we moved out to Colorado with three cats and we assumed an owl or coyote got him.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 04:18:12 AM »
I'm glad he found a good home with you!

Also, I hate the "We're moving and can't (or don't want to) take our pet" excuse. If you don't consider your pets to be family, you shouldn't get them in the first place.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 07:37:03 AM »
Pretty kitty!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 09:27:06 AM »
Well, he's home. Really thin but otherwise seems in good health. Pic above was his prior home and he's probably five or six pounds lighter than that now. Not skeletal thin, but very slender and definitely needs to put on weight. We metered food out to him all evening so he didn't overeat and make himself sick. Devoured every morsel. Picking up some weight-gain wet food today.

Apparently starving for attention, too. Stayed right next to us all evening. Loves head scritches. Found out the Band-Aid & Neosporin way that he hates his belly touched.

He seems to have settled right in, comfortable enough that he fell asleep on the end of the bed. Sprawled out on the carpet between us while we were getting ready this morning. No signs of distress or heightened alert, mostly just exploring. Used his litter box right away so we're crossing our fingers there will be no probs in that respect. Guess we'll know when we go home for lunch.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 09:35:55 AM »
He'll be fine. He's accepted y'all and his new home. If he used the litter box, you're golden unless he has stress or health issues.

Congrats to you both and thanks for taking him in!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 11:44:14 AM »
He’s probably already plotting your murder.

WLJ

• friends
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 11:56:15 AM »
He’s probably already plotting your murder.

He's already drawn first blood.

Brad
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 12:22:52 PM »
Good story.  Nice to hear.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2023, 03:33:23 PM »
Found out the Band-Aid & Neosporin way that he hates his belly touched.
Not necessarily hate but it IS a trap. Lying on their back innocently looking like they want a belly rub and then becoming all teeth and claws when you fall for it is one of their favorite games. On a positive note if they're on their back, or at least with their head upside-down,  it means they're pretty relaxed.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2023, 04:45:18 PM »
At the risk of offending Art's grandma, your "acquaintences" are world-class a-holes.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2023, 04:47:13 PM »
At the risk of offending Art's grandma, your "acquaintences" are world-class a-holes.

Agreed. That's why they are now acquaintances rather than friends.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 06:04:41 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 04:51:34 PM »
Not necessarily hate but it IS a trap. Lying on their back innocently looking like they want a belly rub and then becoming all teeth and claws when you fall for it is one of their favorite games. On a positive note if they're on their back, or at least with their head upside-down,  it means they're pretty relaxed.

Some cats love having their belly rubbed.
2 maybe 3 here you could rub all day and they're happy as a clam
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2023, 09:01:47 PM »
Did a full house UV light check this evening. No acccidents or dark-corner indications of territory-marking. Was late getting away from work so didn't catch it, but SWMBO said he jumped on the bed and immediately started snuggling when she got home.

*edit to add* About ten til 10:00 right now. We're both reading and Raj is curled up at the foot of the bed, snoring. Yeah, pretty sure it's gonna work out.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 10:50:25 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2023, 11:15:27 PM »
Brad, for some reason, no picture showed up.
But if he's snoring on the foot of your bed, you're doing something right.
  ;)
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2023, 04:46:25 PM »
Just short of two weeks on and all is well. He's started spending more time exploring than hiding under the bed. Weight is back to near perfect and he has normal energy levels. Last couple of days he's gotten progressively more playful, too. Vet check on Friday, same clinic as his previous owners. Vet said everything looked good.

Loves his head scritches but not a lap kitty. At least not yet. Can pet him on the head and back all you want, but do not under any circumstance touch his lower leg or paw. No rowl, no growl, no hiss, just ZAP! and you're bleeding. A lot. No love bite or playful nip, this. It's a full-one Leave Me The Hell Alone! chomp. I have two sets of fang marks to prove it. Deep ones. I figure something happened to him in the past so I'll see if we can't slowly desensitize him. Can't have him laying into everyone who wants to love on him, especially my parents. Otherwise he's super laid-back, usually hanging out on the floor somewhere near where we are.

Brad
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2023, 05:50:56 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2023, 08:51:39 AM »
. . .  No rowl, no growl, no hiss, just ZAP! and you're bleeding. A lot. No love bite or playful nip, this. It's a full-one Leave Me The Hell Alone! chomp. I have two sets of fang marks to prove it. Deep ones.  . . .
That's just one more reason I'll never own a cat - I wouldn't tolerate any animal that bit/clawed me or a family member, it would be put down immediately.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2023, 08:55:29 AM »
That's just one more reason I'll never own a cat - I wouldn't tolerate any animal that bit/clawed me or a family member, it would be put down immediately.

None of my cats will do that.
One of the biggest mistakes people make with their cat is they use their hand to play with him/her and all that does is teach them it's okay to attack you or your hand, it' a toy. They're probably just doing what they were taught to do.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 09:52:14 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2023, 09:49:54 AM »
Well, last night we had a small first that's actually a really big thing.

Raj stays close to us, but usually somewhere nearby on the floor or a chair. He'll take all the head scritches we can throw his way, but it's at arms length rather than snuggled in your lap or next to you in bed. He's jumped up with us of his own accord maybe, oh, three or four times at most. We can put him on the bed or couch and he'll stay for a few minutes, but it usually doesn't last long. We watch TV in the basement and he'll follow us down, but it's usually for just a few minutes of nosing around and then he's back upstairs.

Last night it was more of the same, or so we thought. After an hour or so of being downstairs we saw the tip of his tail making it's way slowly around the end of the couch. Not unusual as he'll make occasional trips down to prowl. This time, though, the tail stopped for a few seconds and then a whole cat suddenly appeared on the couch with us. SWMBO and I looked at each other with "Wow!" expressions. We loved on him a minute or two, expecting him to jump back down at any second. Instead, he eventually plopped down between us and "Wow!" turned to "Awwwwww...". Stayed there for a good half hour, purring away. Even let me touch his paws a couple of times without incident.

That's the kind of progress we've been hoping for. Shows he's gone from being comfortable around us to feeling safe with us. It's a big acceptance and bonding step, especially for a cat previously in a longtime home and then abandoned for several months.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:52:25 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2023, 12:55:15 PM »
It's always so gratifying when a critter warms up to you. We had a cat quite some time ago that didn't cuddle with anyone except my daughter. He would only deign to sit on my lap when I sat down and drank a beer. He liked licking the condensation off the bottle for some odd cat reason.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2023, 07:50:15 AM »
Most animal people/vets say that it really takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months for an adopted pet to really snap in and get comfortable with their new surroundings.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2023, 07:58:01 AM »
Most animal people/vets say that it really takes anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months for an adopted pet to really snap in and get comfortable with their new surroundings.

Steve took like 3 minutes.

Barney the cat, who was here first, took a might longer. I think I mentioned before that my first night here, I looked out the living room window and a cat was looking back in. He would run away when I went outside, then I started tossing him some chicken and he would then hang out without coming too close. Then suddenly one day, maybe a few weeks in, he just walked up to me while I was sitting on the porch rocking chair and he hopped in my lap like we were life-long buddies.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."