Author Topic: Stored Engine Oil  (Read 1050 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Stored Engine Oil
« on: August 01, 2023, 09:46:44 PM »
It was time to change the oil in my Jeep today.  I went to Autozone on the way home from work and got 6qts of Mobil 1 and a filter, but when I looked at the shelf-of-partial-bottles-of-oil in the garage, I saw several 5w-20 bottles in there.

I opted to use the old bottles.  The color startled me a little bit in them though.  Instead of a conventional amber, they had shifted to red a little bit.  I ended up using 1qt of brand new oil but the rest was this older red shifted Mobil 1.  They'd been sitting in my Arizona garage for a couple of summers at this point... I'm long between oil changes since I ride a motorcycle most of the time.  I'd guess the bottles were between 12 and 18 months old.

Anyone ever seen that?  Jeep seems to run fine.  I think this will end up being a short oil cycle with this oil just to appease any concerns I have with the quality of older oil.

I ended up returning my 5qt jug of new Mobil 1 for a refund since I didn't want it to sit in my garage for a long time and turn dubious like the last batch.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Stored Engine Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 10:38:09 PM »
Never gave it much thought. I've got a dozen unopened quarts of straight 30 weight laying around that I've had since about 2010. I've been gradually using it in my older small engines and at current rate of consumption might last me the rest of my life.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 11:43:42 PM »
I've read that motor oil ages on the shelf, and after "several" years is no longer recommended for engine use. I came across some that was >10 years old when I was cleaning my garage, and I relegated it to use in my oil can for things like gate hinges.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 07:28:28 AM »
My guess is that one of the additives oxidized or somehow reacted with the plastic in the bottle.

It probably was OK to use, but if it was one of the additives oxidizing it may no longer provide the same level of protection as new oil.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 07:33:58 AM »
On this episode of Just Rolled In........
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 07:52:31 AM »

:rofl:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 10:18:21 AM »

=D

I called Mobil customer support this morning and talked to them about it.  They said the color shift is documented to happen.  It's not recommended to use, but it isn't going to blow up the engine or anything.

It's cheap peace of mind to just change the oil one more time.  I figure I might as well do that this weekend.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 10:22:49 AM »
It's cheap peace of mind to just change the oil one more time.  I figure I might as well do that this weekend.

Not just in your case, or with any questionable oil, but fluid changes (not just the engine oil) are always cheap and easy insurance to keep your engine running. I always err towards "more frequent" rather than how close to 1% I can get the oil life meter.  =)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2023, 09:53:07 PM »
I still have a few cans of oil around here.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 07:35:44 AM »

Good lord... I think most of the companies stopped putting oil in cans in what, the mid 1980s?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2023, 08:59:04 AM »

Good lord... I think most of the companies stopped putting oil in cans in what, the mid 1980s?

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2023, 09:14:37 AM »

I still have one of those oil pouring spouts in my stash of car tools.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2023, 10:53:25 AM »
I HATED those and those damned paper "oil cans"!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2023, 10:55:44 AM »
I HATED those and those damned paper "oil cans"!

Yeah, had more than one can collapse while trying to put the spout on. Fun
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2023, 11:01:59 AM »
Worked as a pump jockey at an Esso station, doing closing shift, downton, in Lafayette, La in the early 70s. More than once had a "oil shower" with paper cans and those pour spouts!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2023, 12:15:02 PM »
I was a mechanic during the end of the paper cans, so I had one of the spouts too.  Mine must have been the pinnacle of spout development.  It was vinyl coated (maybe powder coated?) and a few years later nothing but an oddity to baffle young people.

By the way, I didn't know that oil could degrade sitting in the bottle.  I know you're supposed to shake it up to get all the additives dispersed, but I thought it remained good for decades.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2023, 12:27:08 PM »
I learned that motor oil has an expiration when I was doing an oil change and went to pour a quart of Shell oil into my suburban and a big brown glop of goo ran out and right down the funnel into the engine. Thankfully it was the first quart so I just re-drained it. The oil had been bought at Sam's and sitting in my garage not all that long, but I had opened the one quart at some point to get a tiny amount of oil for something or other. The other quarts seemed fine but I assume they would have gone off eventually also. Now I check expiration dates before I buy motor oil and I don't really stock up on it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2023, 01:22:46 PM »
Those paper cans of oil are probably still fine.  Especially if it's plain old SAE 30 oil.  Not a lot of additives, and the oil itself will last forever.  The quarts of 5W-30 that have been sitting in my garage for about 5 years, those are suspect.
"It's good, though..."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2023, 10:44:44 PM »
This thread makes me think I should go check some of my old bottles of oil.  I still have quarts of 5W-30 from when I used to change my own but that has been at least 10 years.  Even if the "additives" have broken down, they are there to minimize corrosion and dirt in the oil.  They will still provide some lubricity so they should be OK for "topping off" your car.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2023, 12:58:43 PM »
I would follow the same rule I have for even marginally questionable food.  "If in doubt, throw it out."

I ain't worth an engine to save a few bucks on fresh oil.

I'll admit that I view a lot of "Use By" and other expiration dates as merchandising ploys or a mere requirement of law --maybe they have to put some kind of date on stuff. But I figure it's best to follow them anyhow, "just in case."

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2023, 03:44:43 PM »
Damn, I have had 3 6qt jugs of Pennzoil Synthetic Blend sitting out on my back patio for the last 8 months.
MOLON LABE!

griz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2023, 04:50:47 PM »
I was looking for a wrench in an old toolbox and accidentally found the old oil spout I was talking about.  Guess I need to clean up some.  The (marked down) 35 cent price physical tag dates it pretty well.  I guess they couldn't just give them away.  If that didn't capture the time frame, the fact it came from Kmart does.   It wasn't just vinyl clad, it was deluxe vinyl:

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2023, 05:35:27 PM »
I just changed the oil myself last week for the first time in years because I had a dozen quarts of oil and several filters; might as well use them up so I don't have to store them.  I checked that it smelled okay and was still the right color and viscosity. 

Someone replaced the OEM oil drain plug somewhere along the way because it takes a 16mm wrench now and it used to be 14mm.  Luckily I had a 16mm socket and was actually able to find it :D (a lot of wrench and socket sets skip from 15mm to 17mm, or at least they used to)
"It's good, though..."