Author Topic: Sheriff's Group Challenging Federal Law  (Read 2463 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Sheriff's Group Challenging Federal Law
« on: August 21, 2023, 11:45:42 PM »
A right-wing sheriffs group that challenges federal law is gaining acceptance around the country

https://news.yahoo.com/wing-sheriffs-group-challenges-federal-162946214.html

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) — Against the background hum of the convention center, Dar Leaf settled into a club chair to explain the sacred mission of America’s sheriffs, his bright blue eyes and warm smile belying the intensity of the cause.

“The sheriff is supposed to be protecting the public from evil,” the chief law enforcement officer for Barry County, Michigan, said during a break in the National Sheriffs’ Association 2023 conference in June. “When your government is evil or out of line, that’s what the sheriff is there for, protecting them from that.”

Leaf is on the advisory board of the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association, founded in 2011 by former Arizona sheriff Richard Mack. The group, known as CSPOA, teaches that elected sheriffs must “protect their citizens from the overreach of an out-of-control federal government” by refusing to enforce any law they deem unconstitutional or “unjust.”

“The safest way to actually achieve that is to have local law enforcement understand that they have no obligation to enforce such laws,” Mack said in an interview. “They’re not laws at all anyway. If they’re unjust laws, they are laws of tyranny.”

(emphasis added)
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Sheriff's Group Challenging Federal Law
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 08:23:33 AM »
While I appreciate Sheriffs who do this...

“The safest way to actually achieve that is to have local law enforcement understand that they have no obligation to enforce such laws,” Mack said in an interview.

When they step in and arrest the feds, vs just not helping them, then they're doing something. When the ATF comes to my gun club to arrest me for shooting an SBR, if I call 911 and the Sheriff comes out and puts the ATF in cuffs, then we're getting somewhere.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2023, 08:26:30 AM »

When they step in and arrest the feds, vs just not helping them, then they're doing something. When the ATF comes to my gun club to arrest me for shooting an SBR, if I call 911 and the Sheriff comes out and puts the ATF in cuffs, then we're getting somewhere.

He will open the car door for you as the ATF shoves you into the backseat.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 09:09:58 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2023, 10:04:30 AM »

While I love the idea of local LE cuffing BATFE agents, given the I don't think it is likely without first overturning Supremacy Clause immunity, which I think is unlikely.

However, it doesn't take a Sheriff violating Supremacy Clause immunity to effectively nullify Federal law.

There are over 700,000 non-federal LE out there, and only 2,500 sworn BATFEIEIO types.  Not a lot is going to get done if local/county/state LE doesn't play ball with the BATFE.  Note that in states where marijuana has been decriminalized the feds have tended to drastically scale back enforcement, often not even bothering to target state licensed businesses.  It would be child's play for the DEA to find people openly selling marijuana from storefronts in many states, but have not tended to prosecute those cases in part because of lack of local/county/state LE support. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 10:16:17 AM »
^^^

All very good points.

"ATF in cuffs" was somewhat bravado on my part, and I wonder what would happen if local LE just stood between the victim and the ATF and said "no"? Obviously the batmen could go to the person's home later or whatever, but would the feds try to arrest the local cops for obstruction, or would they give up and leave?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 05:52:16 PM »
The main reason I posted this was so that I could see what others felt about this.
You all make good points and, while I don't expect them to arrest the ATF agents or even to "get between" them and their intended victim, it was interesting to see that there are an increasing number of LE officials objecting to this administration's poor performance.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2023, 08:02:09 AM »
If it ever comes down to "root hog or die"  these "oh so noble" cops will end up with a choice. Either follow the immoral and unconstitutional order or lose their paycheck and possibly be arrested themselves. 99+% will chose their paycheck and freedom and burn you down.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 10:48:47 AM »
If it ever comes down to "root hog or die"  these "oh so noble" cops will end up with a choice. Either follow the immoral and unconstitutional order or lose their paycheck and possibly be arrested themselves. 99+% will chose their paycheck and freedom and burn you down.

Who is going to give such an order to a sheriff?  (who even could order a sheriff to do something, a judge maybe?)  You're absolutely right about police, though.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 12:29:01 PM »
Who is going to give such an order to a sheriff?  (who even could order a sheriff to do something, a judge maybe?)  You're absolutely right about police, though.

Who ever has the most guns/jack boots. Does anyone think that that the feds still give a *expletive deleted*ck about the constitution and what is right.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 01:42:29 PM »
Who ever has the most guns/jack boots. Does anyone think that that the feds still give a *expletive deleted*ck about the constitution and what is right.
Sheriffs are (in most places, anyway) locally elected politicians.  In my experience they are the most likely of all LE to be influenced by local political pressure.  For most of us, that's a good thing and where you live strongly impacts what county-level LE is likely to accede to.