Author Topic: In God We Trust . . . no more.  (Read 4077 times)

HankB

• friend
In God We Trust . . . no more.
« on: August 31, 2023, 08:32:34 AM »
The US mint has removed "In God We Trust" from the new 2023 silver coin.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/08/us-mint-drops-god-from-liberty-coin/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

The motto has appeared on all US coins for over a century. Back in 1907 when the new $20 gold piece was introduced it was omitted - some folks back then didn't like the Almighty associated with filthy lucre - but it caused quite a kerfuffle. When the 1908 $20 came along it was still missing, but the outrage continued building until mid-year it was restored; collectors view early 1908 double eagles as "No Motto Saints."

It's now required by law on US coinage. The mint says the silver coin has no denomination, so the law doesn't apply. Draw your own conclusions as to why this is happening with a D in the White House.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Pb

• friend
Re: In God We Trust . . . no more.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 10:28:08 AM »
At least they are being honest.  There is no one or no thing the US government trusts less than God.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 11:11:06 AM »
At least they are being honest.  There is no one or no thing the US government trusts less than God.

That.

Not a big fan of civil religion, but I doubt this is done for the right reason.

" For this all do who follow not God's will but their own, who live not with an upright but a crooked heart, and yet offer to God such gifts as they suppose will procure from Him that He aid them not by healing but by gratifying their evil passions. And this is the characteristic of the earthly city, that it worships God or gods who may aid it in reigning victoriously and peacefully on earth not through love of doing good, but through lust of rule. The good use the world that they may enjoy God: the wicked, on the contrary, that they may enjoy the world would fain use God," 
Augustine, City of God, book 15
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 11:39:12 AM »
It's a collectable coin, not legal tender.  Not that big a deal in my mind, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was done for some woke reason.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 12:15:32 PM »
The US mint has removed "In God We Trust" from the new 2023 silver coin.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/08/us-mint-drops-god-from-liberty-coin/?ct=t(RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

The motto has appeared on all US coins for over a century. Back in 1907 when the new $20 gold piece was introduced it was omitted - some folks back then didn't like the Almighty associated with filthy lucre - but it caused quite a kerfuffle. When the 1908 $20 came along it was still missing, but the outrage continued building until mid-year it was restored; collectors view early 1908 double eagles as "No Motto Saints."

It's now required by law on US coinage. The mint says the silver coin has no denomination, so the law doesn't apply. Draw your own conclusions as to why this is happening with a D in the White House.

I worked with Michael Newdow for a while in Spokane. He is the guy who keeps suing the .gov over the Pledge of Allegiance and also the In God We Trust on our money. He was a strange bird. He would spread papers (briefs) all over his office for the night and wouldn't let anyone in. He would also stay in the hospital all day after working, between that and stealing our food from the break room he was not invited back for a second locums contract.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 01:08:25 PM »
^^^Nothing but the best for our veterans, by God!  Or would he have not liked that, either?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2023, 01:29:25 PM »
It's a collectable coin, not legal tender.  Not that big a deal in my mind, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was done for some woke reason.

Exactly. It's not monetized. Without monetization, it's not usable as legal tender.

In a strict sense, it's very similar to a military challenge coin. Those aren't marked with In Vino Veritas or whatever gets peoples' panties in a wad when it's missing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2023, 03:31:29 PM »
There's nothing religious on my NRA Challenge Coin but a Springfield rifle on one side and an eagle grasping crossed long arms on the other.

They vary from year to year.  They may have a BAR or a 1911 or an M1, etc. on the face. Mine is not colorized at all.

Terry, 230RN

Pic credits in porperties
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 03:57:29 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2023, 04:23:15 PM »
Oh my god! They put evil firearms on those NRA challenge coins!  How dare they!
Seriously, those challenge coins look pretty nice.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 04:31:44 PM »
FFS, this is why I hate click bait articles and the internet money paradigm that spawns them.  The article is lying.  The US Mint didn't "drop" *expletive deleted*it from their coins.

In literally 45 secs of googling on my phone while I took a crap I discovered that the US mint strikes liberty "medals" and Liberty "coins" every year.  The medals are not tender, and have a variety of designs that do not normally include "in God We Trust".  Here is a link to the medals they currently have in stock, including 2022's Liberty Medal: https://catalog.usmint.gov/medals/silver-medals/   Here's 2017's Liberty Medal: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2017-p-medal-american-liberty-225th-anniversary-u-s-mint-set-dcam/627952/69
Here's 2016's: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2016-w-medal-american-liberty-first-strike-dcam/612488
Here's 2019's: https://www.govmint.com/2019-p-2-5oz-silver-am-liberty-high-relief-medal

You get the point.  None are tender, and none have the motto.

The US Mint also strikes a liberty coin every year.  It is tender.  It does have the motto.
Here's 2023's: https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/american-liberty/2023-high-relief-gold-coin  It's a $100 coin and is legal tender.  Guess what else it has?

Here's the entire American Liberty collection, just to drive the point home: https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/american-liberty

Ammoland lied when they labeled their link American Liberty Coin, and then linked to the American Liberty medal.  IMO they did it deliberately because they had a slow day and they new it would rile up their reader base to get clicks, but the best case is they are honest but too incompetent to google for 45 sec and read the US mint website they were linking to.  In either case their website is not worth reading.

Don't be the low information person that just passes on bullshit because it struck an emotional chord.  If anything, stories that rile you up need MORE of a gimlet eye on their sources, because media of all types are lying liars and using people for money.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 04:57:59 PM »
There's nothing religious on my NRA Challenge Coin but a Springfield rifle on one side and an eagle grasping crossed long arms on the other.

They vary from year to year.  They may have a BAR or a 1911 or an M1, etc. on the face. Mine is not colorized at all.

Terry, 230RN

Pic credits in porperties

I was just given an NRA M1903 challenge coin by a former neighbor who recently passed. It was her Dad's. My guess is it's from the 1960s or 1970s. Not enameled.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 07:29:34 PM »
FFS, this is why I hate click bait articles and the internet money paradigm that spawns them.  The article is lying.  The US Mint didn't "drop" *expletive deleted*it from their coins.

In literally 45 secs of googling on my phone while I took a crap  . . .
TMI. Lighten up, Francis. At least the article brought out the best in you.

Didn't you at least get a chuckle from the Outlaw Josey Wales clip?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2023, 08:05:01 PM »
TMI. Lighten up, Francis. At least the article brought out the best in you.

Didn't you at least get a chuckle from the Outlaw Josey Wales clip?

Honestly? I didn't make it that far.  I'm in a mood today from stupid folks on Twitter, excuse me..."X".

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2023, 09:57:41 PM »
I was just given an NRA M1903 challenge coin by a former neighbor who recently passed. It was her Dad's. My guess is it's from the 1960s or 1970s. Not enameled.

Sounds about right  I joined in the 1960s, when you needed a sponsor, and kicked up to Life about two years later.  Somebody's selling one online for about nine bucks, I briefly noticed while searching for images.  I have my own photoed but didn't want to go through the hassle of sizing them as attachments.  I bought my sons life memberships about 2008 or so.  I don't know if they got challenge coins or not.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2023, 07:49:38 AM »
I just left an absolutely scathing post in that threat, essentially accusing the author and, by extension, ammoland, of dog whistling in the worst sort of way.

My guess is that it will never be published to the discussion string.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2023, 07:55:15 AM »
Holy crap, the mouth breather neck beards in that discussion chain are just... morons.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2023, 07:23:38 PM »
I'll be damned. It was published.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »
Some of us obviously haven't picked up on the idea that rageclicks are still clicks, and that negative comments drive interaction metrics for advertisers every bit as much as positive comments.