Author Topic: How was your flight?  (Read 7608 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: How was your flight?
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2024, 05:26:25 PM »
No thanks. Sounds to me like a lot of commie gobbledygook

You must not be familiar with the management style of Jack Welch.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2024, 07:40:58 PM »
You must not be familiar with the management style of Jack Welch.

Neutron Jack.

Thankfully my time at GE wasn't very long.  They were still dumping the bottom 10% each year though they ended that practice not long after I left.  It was a very destructive policy.  I can work to clear out deadwood for the first few years. But after that you start having to cut people that aren't THAT bad.  And then decent employees refuse to do anything that might help someone else avoid the cut, because otherwise they're more likely to be cut themselves.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2024, 11:01:29 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #153 on: April 09, 2024, 09:12:28 AM »
Neutron Jack.

Thankfully my time at GE wasn't very long.  They were still dumping the bottom 10% each year though they ended that practice not long after I left.  It was a very destructive policy.  I can work to clear out deadwood for the first few years. But after that you start having to cut people that aren't THAT bad.  And then decent employees refuse to do anything that might help someone else avoid the cut, because otherwise they're more likely to be cut themselves.
I knew a guy who worked for Exxon.  He said they did a form of that.  Seemed a bit odd to me.  A competent manager who hires a decent team underneath him is still forced to fire or micro-manage some people each year.  Does he then start hiring people just for cannon fodder?  At some point, they should start looking at who they are hiring.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2024, 08:37:26 PM »
I knew a guy who worked for Exxon.  He said they did a form of that.  Seemed a bit odd to me.  A competent manager who hires a decent team underneath him is still forced to fire or micro-manage some people each year.  Does he then start hiring people just for cannon fodder?  At some point, they should start looking at who they are hiring.

That's where DEI rears its ugly head.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2024, 06:13:00 PM »
Does he then start hiring people just for cannon fodder? 

Of course they do. They do that even in organizations without a former stack ranking policy and I'm sure it's just worse in ones that do.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine