Author Topic: Ads on Amazon Prime  (Read 1830 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Ads on Amazon Prime
« on: September 23, 2023, 05:09:00 PM »
Well, now Amazon Prime is doing it. Prime will now (starting in 2024) have ads in video content unless you pay an extra three ducats per month to remove them. Wasn't the whole point of paying the subscription to streaming services to eliminate seeing ads? If I'm seeing ads, the content needs to be free. If I'm paying for content, I don't want ads.

They won't do it, but if Amazon split video and music off of regular Prime (shipping, etc.) I would dump the video and music and just pay for prime shipping only, like it used to be. I order a lot of stuff from Amazon, but I may be at a point where I need to do the shipping math to see if the annual subscription is worth it. Amazon Prime is starting to seem like cable used to be for me, where I complained about the high cable bill because of the 1,435 sportsball channels that I never watched, but couldn't opt out of.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/amazon-prime-video-include-ads-2024-unless-users-pay-2-99-month-get-rid
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Ads on Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 06:08:10 PM »
Ironically, I won't be reading that article because Fox wanted me to turn off my ad blocker.  :rofl:

Anyhoo... Well, *expletive deleted*it.

I do all my streaming through a firestick. I do have the ruku T.V. but I like the damn firestick. I'm betting the sticking point for me is if they run adds on the extra channels that I already pay extra for. If they do, I might be unplugging my firestick and going no Prime.

Honestly, if I'm paying for a service that has ads, I might as well actually watch the cable that I'm already paying for since I can get just internet alone for less than a fortune.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 04:15:18 PM »
Would you rather pay a price (and increases over time) where the content manager doesn't need to run ads or pay a much less price and deal with advertisements?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 04:37:21 PM »
Avoiding the aggravation is worth a piddly three bucks a month.

If YouTube had something similar, say something like three bucks a month that limited ads to one per ten minute segment, I'd do that too. Not popping fifteen bucks on Premium, though, even though I am a complete YouTube junkie. There've been times when I was close, but not quite yet.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 05:38:12 PM »
Avoiding the aggravation is worth a piddly three bucks a month.

Frog in the water, man. It's one of the reasons I've been suspending and turning off one streaming account after another.

I mostly watch the youtubz on the computer instead of TV, so no ads.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 05:48:54 PM »
I fail to see the appeal of Amazon Prime for shipping. You folks who already have it probably don't pay attention to other shipping options but, for almost everything shipped by Amazon, free shipping is offered and the arrival date is only a day or maybe two days after the expensive, paid shipping. And Prime doesn't get it there much sooner. I don't know how many years I've been buying from Amazon but, however long it has been, I've never bought anything that I couldn't wait an extra day or three to get.

And for many things sold and shipped by other vendors, shipping is also free. I try to avoid third party vendors on Amazon, though, because I don't know whether or not they'll honor a 30day return policy, or if I'll have to pay shipping if I return something.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 06:13:00 PM »
I fail to see the appeal of Amazon Prime for shipping. You folks who already have it probably don't pay attention to other shipping options but, for almost everything shipped by Amazon, free shipping is offered and the arrival date is only a day or maybe two days after the expensive, paid shipping. And Prime doesn't get it there much sooner. I don't know how many years I've been buying from Amazon but, however long it has been, I've never bought anything that I couldn't wait an extra day or three to get.

And for many things sold and shipped by other vendors, shipping is also free. I try to avoid third party vendors on Amazon, though, because I don't know whether or not they'll honor a 30day return policy, or if I'll have to pay shipping if I return something.

Yep, I've never been a Primer member and I have yet to pay for shipping for anything off Amazon.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536