Author Topic: I need some help with Excel  (Read 1974 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
I need some help with Excel
« on: September 29, 2023, 09:04:09 PM »
At my place of work, we receive plans to be reviewed for building permits. We receive a LOT of plans. By statute, we are supposed to review and either issue a permit or issue a denial within 30 days of receipt. To be fair to all applicants, we try to operate on a first-in, first-out basis. Where it gets a bit complicated is that architects today are apparently incapable of doing their jobs (and I are one, so I'm allowed to say that), with the result that over the past two years I don't think we have issued a single permit for a non-residential project on the first submission. We've had a couple that went through SIX rounds of revisions and, even then, we had to red-mark the plans before we issued the permit.

My problem: Some time back, in order to try to keep track of who should be next in the queue, I created a spreadsheet that logs when plans are received, when we send out a response, what our response is, and then rinse and repeat for resubmissions. Each project gets a worksheet, and the first worksheet is a master list that pulls from each project worksheet the date of the most recent action, and the current status. The idea was (and is) to be able to sort the master list so the ones that have been waiting the longest percolate to the top of the list. But my sort is broken, and I don't know how to fix it.

My sort looks first at status/most recent action (from a list in the sort criteria), and then at date. It does that, but there's a glitch.

For status, I have several possible categories: pending (for a brand new application), resubmittal, R&R ("Revise and Resubmit"), approved, denied, expired. We don't really need to keep track of those that have been approved, those that expired because the applicant never followed through (by law they expire after 180 days), or those that for some reason we may have denied outright rather than allowing resubmission. The problem is that the "pendings" need to be tracked chronologically with the "resubmittals." The way the sort works now, it lists ALL "pending" projects in ascending date order, then it lists all "resubmittal" projects in ascending date order. This means that a resubmittal that's three weeks old could be listed below a pending that's only one or two weeks old.

If there are any Excel gurus in the audience, can you help me fix my sort so the "pending" and "resubmittal" entries are considered together when sorted by date?

Thanks
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: I need some help with Excel
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 10:20:18 PM »
Can you use two search parameters when using a conditional sort?  I don't remember if I ever tried that. 

I guess you could set up a separate column that puts in a number or letter if the other cell contains either those categories then sort by that.  Seems like more than it should take.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 10:43:34 PM »
Can you use two search parameters when using a conditional sort?  I don't remember if I ever tried that. 

I guess you could set up a separate column that puts in a number or letter if the other cell contains either those categories then sort by that.  Seems like more than it should take.

Ummm ... Huh?

Did I mention that I'm an Excel rookie?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 11:13:06 PM »
I used to use it a lot more at work than I do now. 

I think if you just add a filter to your header row, you can filter one column so only those rows with the two categories appear.  Then Sort by date on the other column and I think that would do it.  If you still want all the other categories to show up, you might look at adding another column and assigning a number to rows with the right categories.  Then sort by that number so the categories you want go to the top.  A bit more of a brute force approach. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtiVbY7lhqw
This video covers filters starting around 3 min in.  I know you can select which items to appear. 

There is a filter function some videos talk about.  I have never used that.  Gets more complicated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHAVptUKAk

There are probably other ways to do it.  Just ones that comes to mind for me. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 11:43:02 PM »
I used to use it a lot more at work than I do now. 

I think if you just add a filter to your header row, you can filter one column so only those rows with the two categories appear.  Then Sort by date on the other column and I think that would do it.  If you still want all the other categories to show up, you might look at adding another column and assigning a number to rows with the right categories.  Then sort by that number so the categories you want go to the top.  A bit more of a brute force approach. 

This video covers filters starting around 3 min in.  I know you can select which items to appear. 

There is a filter function some videos talk about.  I have never used that.  Gets more complicated.

Even though I watched your first video, it appears my version of Excel is too old.  It's from Office 2000.  :old:  :rofl:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 11:47:34 PM »

Can't watch the first video. I HATE Kevin Stratvert. I'm sure it's just me, but I can't stand the guy.

I have benefited from some of Leila's Excel tutorials in the past. I'll see if that video helps. Thanks.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 11:54:43 PM »
He did seem the type to talk about a 30 second operation for 3 mins before actually doing it.  I have no idea who these people are.  Just came up on a youtube search. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 12:33:23 AM »
I found a workable solution. It's not elegant, and it requires two steps for each sort -- but it works.

Step 1: Highlight the entire range and run my custom sort to move the "pendings" and "resubmittals" to the top.

Step 2: Highlight only those rows that include the "pendings" and "resubmittals," and do a simple sort on that range by the date column.

That accomplishes what I need. It adds one step to what I've been doing and I wish I could automate the two steps into one, but this will work. It just means that I'll need to retrain myself to remember to run the second sort each time I re-run the table.