Author Topic: Who Will Replace Diane Feinstein, And Will it Matter?  (Read 6256 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Who Will Replace Diane Feinstein, And Will it Matter?
« on: September 29, 2023, 09:49:32 AM »
Yikes. Apparently the front runners to replace Feinstein are Adam Schiff and Katie Porter. I almost have to say that Porter would be worse. She is a horrible, disgusting person.

Though in a deep blue state it may not matter that much. Whoever it is will be voting far left in the Senate.

Feinstein's office had already announced that she did not plan to seek reelection in 2024. The race to replace her between California Representatives Katie Porter and Adam Schiff was already running at a fever pitch, so there's no doubt that a lot of pressure will be placed on CA Governor Gavin Newsom from both camps to nominate their candidate as a replacement for the long-time Senator as incumbency is seen as an edge in such a tightly contested race.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Who Will Replace Diane Feinstein, And Will it Matter?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 09:54:22 AM »
Does either one know how to play the politician chess, checkers really, game as well as Feintsein did?
From what I know of Schiff I'm fairly certain he doesn't. Porter I know almost nothing about.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 10:07:31 AM »
Adam Schiff would be pretty funny, just to watch the implosion.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 10:14:43 AM »
Both Schiff and Porter are suitably awful to be in contention for California's now-empty Senate seat, but neither one is a "Person of Color." Seeing as it's California, it would not surprise me if Gavin Newsom decided to appoint a ToC (Tranny of Color) to fill Feinstein's seat.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 10:17:16 AM »
It will not matter.  Whomever replaces her will be a junior Sen and reliable D vote for a decade or more until they claw their way back onto useful committees.  By that time they will be well absorbed by the Lovecraftian nightmare that is the Senate and their effects will be the same as the late Sen Feinstein's.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 10:17:49 AM »
"She is a horrible, disgusting person."

So... a Democrat.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 10:18:32 AM »
Porter I know almost nothing about.

When I say that she is a disgusting human being, I am not exaggerating. She's like a Jerry Springer guest. Schiff would be honorable by comparison.

The POC out of left field (from the stated "front runners") certainly would not be out of the question. Neither would a tranny.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 10:21:43 AM »
Porter's about page almost seems to try to put a somewhat conservative spin on some things but also gives an impression it's mostly smoke and mirrors.
She keeps saying she for families but she more than likely has a different definition of family from me.

But she knows the power of Power Point!  :rofl:

Eager to invite families into the conversations happening in the halls of Congress, Rep. Porter has developed a reputation for her use of visual aids during Congressional hearings.

https://porter.house.gov/about/

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 10:40:11 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 10:28:56 AM »
It will not matter.  Whomever replaces her will be a junior Sen and reliable D vote for a decade or more until they claw their way back onto useful committees. 

I may be misremembering, but I thought they threw Harris on significant committees post haste. I think maybe Hillary too.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 09:15:06 AM »
I'd forgotten all about it, but it was brought up on the teevee that haircut had promised a black woman for the interim role. He also apparently said that they have to agree not to run once the elections come around.

It's kind of a win for him with the far left dem base, because he could appoint a black lqbtxyz+++ "woman" and get the props for that, while more normal people run during the election, which won't be held against him for his presidential aspirations by the mainstream dem base. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2023, 02:34:24 PM »
I'd forgotten all about it, but it was brought up on the teevee that haircut had promised a black woman for the interim role. He also apparently said that they have to agree not to run once the elections come around.

It's kind of a win for him with the far left dem base, because he could appoint a black lqbtxyz+++ "woman" and get the props for that, while more normal people run during the election, which won't be held against him for his presidential aspirations by the mainstream dem base.
California's Next Senator?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2023, 03:07:32 PM »

She would be a good choice by Haircut's stipulations if she's old enough to qualify.  (is she from California, and does that matter?)
"It's good, though..."

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2023, 04:05:13 PM »

My string mop looks better than that.  >:D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2023, 05:20:24 PM »
First Harry now us

She has made no secret about her left-leaning politics and belief that women can change the world.

So it may come as no surprise that Meghan Markle's name was being bandied about in Hollywood last night as a long-shot replacement for Californian Senator Dianne Feinstein.

Indeed, within minutes of 90-year-old Feinstein's death being announced on Friday, the Mail on Sunday was told 'phones lit up' with speculation the Duchess of Sussex could throw her hat in the ring to serve out the remaining 13 months of Feinstein's term.

A major Democratic donor who is close to Californian Governor Gavin Newsom - who will choose Feinstein's replacement - told the MoS: 'Meghan is definitely a long-shot but in the craziness that is US politics these days it's not an impossibility. Crazier things have happened.'

:facepalm:

Meghan Markle 'considers run for office': Duchess of Sussex's name is in the frame to fill Californian Senator Dianne Feinstein's seat after senator died aged 90 (and could the White House be her ultimate aim?)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12578609/Meghan-Markle-considers-run-office-Duchess-Sussexs-frame-Californian-Senator-Dianne-Feinsteins-seat-senator-died-aged-90-White-House-ultimate-aim.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2023, 06:30:14 PM »
My string mop looks better than that.  >:D

https://youtu.be/MSFu90e-6pA?si=4aBuClPh6CkuWpSy&t=15  (I know it's supposed to be the Ames Brothers, or Johnnie Lee Wills)
"It's good, though..."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2023, 06:52:00 PM »
First Harry now us

:facepalm:

Meghan Markle 'considers run for office': Duchess of Sussex's name is in the frame to fill Californian Senator Dianne Feinstein's seat after senator died aged 90 (and could the White House be her ultimate aim?)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12578609/Meghan-Markle-considers-run-office-Duchess-Sussexs-frame-Californian-Senator-Dianne-Feinsteins-seat-senator-died-aged-90-White-House-ultimate-aim.html
MAYBE she's actually still eligible - she applied for British citizenship, but apparently her travel bollixed up the residency requirement.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 02:09:08 AM »
Merge with

https://armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=68912.0

? ? ?

Or is this thread just a distraction ploy?

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 07:56:48 AM »
MAYBE she's actually still eligible - she applied for British citizenship, but apparently her travel bollixed up the residency requirement.

I'm guessing the British citizenship has been kiboshed after her and Harry's antics. Her name is up on the Sunday news shows this morning, which I find unbelievable. If California wants to be taken even less seriously, haircut should definitely appoint her.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2023, 07:57:44 AM »
Or is this thread just a distraction ploy?

No, the only distraction on APS is the gadfly known as 230RN.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2023, 11:01:22 AM »
Thank you.  On reflection, I agree they are pretty separate issues.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2023, 12:05:15 AM »
Newsom is nominating Laphonza Butler, a former Kamala Harris advisor, to replace Feinstein.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-governor-name-laphonza-butler-030601207.html

From the AP story, it seems Ben was pretty close to calling Newsom's choice in his Reply #9 of this thread.

"Butler will be the only Black woman serving in the U.S. Senate, and the first openly LGBTQ person to represent California in the chamber."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2023, 08:13:14 AM »
I'm just surprised it wasn't a woman with a deep voice and beard.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2023, 08:21:45 AM »
I'm just surprised it wasn't a woman with a deep voice and beard.
If the Senate ever spends a long day working ( :rofl:) and CSPAN carries it, I'd still look for a five o'clock shadow towards the end of the session.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2023, 09:55:24 AM »
Newsom is nominating Laphonza Butler, a former Kamala Harris advisor, to replace Feinstein.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-governor-name-laphonza-butler-030601207.html

From the AP story, it seems Ben was pretty close to calling Newsom's choice in his Reply #9 of this thread.

"Butler will be the only Black woman serving in the U.S. Senate, and the first openly LGBTQ person to represent California in the chamber."

And she lives in Maryland

Her FEC filing 31 days ago lists Maryland as her residence and yet Gavin Newsom is naming Laphonza Butler to be a United States Senator representing a state she doesn’t even live in. However corrupt you think politics is, multiply it by a 1,000,000. pic.twitter.com/bQ2RVwGFYn
    — Robby Starbuck (@robbystarbuck) October 2, 2023

But they took care of that little detail

Oh hey, look who remembered to remove the Location data from her bio overnight! It’s California’s newest Senator! pic.twitter.com/x90OxXoSd6
    — Enguerrand VII de Coucy (@ingelramdecoucy) October 2, 2023
https://twitchy.com/samj/2023/10/02/laphonza-butler-maryland-n2388015

They're scrubbing any mention of Maryland anywhere they can find it
https://twitter.com/ingelramdecoucy/status/1708801259107438647?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Someone stated that under CA law she only has to a resident of CA on the day or before she's sworn in but still, couldn't Newson have found someone who met the require woke criteria in CA? Seems like you can't swing a stick in CA without hitting one.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2023, 10:26:54 AM »
Maryland seems right for a "political organizer".

Also don't think for a second that Kamala Harris didn't have anything to do with this.