Author Topic: Over/Under on Trump keeping his mouth shut?  (Read 8689 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Over/Under on Trump keeping his mouth shut?
« on: October 04, 2023, 01:15:12 PM »
Gag order, I wonder if he can actually keep mouth shut and his comments to himself or is he going to spend 30 days in the pokey.

https://deadline.com/2023/10/trump-gag-order-trial-1235562959/
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Over/Under on Trump keeping his mouth shut?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 01:31:55 PM »
I'm thinking the better over/under would be on how many times he's cited for contempt of court because, while he has the right to remain silent, he simply doesn't have the ability to remain silent.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 03:40:47 PM »
If I were Trump, I would violate the order and go to jail.  It is sure to make him even more popular.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 04:12:11 PM »
If I were Trump, I would violate the order and go to jail.  It is sure to make him even more popular.

Yup. This gag order only helps Trump, regardless if he follows it or breaks it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 04:59:41 PM »
The over/under might be on whether jail would force a higher court to get involved. 

Was this the judge that made a comment about if she didn't like the jury's decision she would throw it out?

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 06:06:26 PM »
The judge is a he, and there is no jury in this type of court.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 07:50:03 PM »
I'm thinking the better over/under would be on how many times he's cited for contempt of court because, while he has the right to remain silent, he simply doesn't have the ability to remain silent.

Quoted for truth.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 08:47:50 PM »
Telling Trump to keep his mouth shut is like telling AOC not to be stupid
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2023, 11:22:06 AM »
Yup. This gag order only helps Trump, regardless if he follows it or breaks it.
It helps him with his base, that's not where he needs the help though.
The Democrats in tandem with these rogue prosecutors, and the state-run media are doing their damndest to prop Trump up now in order to anoint him as the inevitable GOP nominee—because they know the vast majority of independents and undecided voters are not going to be as sympathetic towards him as Republican primary voters currently are
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 11:27:43 AM »
I agree that's what they are thinking, I'm not sure it's a great bet. 

Americans, in general, like an underdog, and Trumps polling is rising v. Biden already.  Unless their plan is to kick the current team out and bring in a (D)ark horse, Trump may do well, even from prison.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2023, 12:07:45 PM »
Americans, in general, like an underdog,

It's certainly interesting how this is ingrained in our society, so much so that we will rally behind people we would normally dislike, or people not representative of our own values. I disagree with most of what RFK says, and will not vote for him, but am certainly rooting for him against the dem establishment.

Which is another point in the "pro" column on Trump - he's not just being made an underdog, he's actively being attacked by the establishment - something else that most Americans who value individualism hate.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2023, 03:21:23 PM »
I agree with the underdog thingy.  That's how Obama got re-elected imho.  The Rs were sliming on him vociferously.  I predicted he'd be re-elected as a result...and he was.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2023, 04:25:25 PM »
Trump could sometimes benefit from a Biden style of handling where he plays puppet for someone who does the actual thinking instead of reacting strictly based on emotion, but then he wouldn’t be Trump.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 07:51:05 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2023, 09:38:41 AM »
:rofl:

Trump Skirts Gag Order With Mini-Trump Ventriloquist Doll
https://babylonbee.com/news/genius-trump-skirts-gag-order-with-mini-trump-ventriloquist-doll

Wow... That is absolutely hysterical!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2023, 10:29:15 AM »
That actually makes a little sense as Trump refers to himself in the 3rd person a lot.   =)

At publishing time, an outcry arose over Trump's decision to choose the puppet as his running mate.
Better than Pence? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2023, 09:22:44 PM »
What a lot of Washington/Media doesn't realize is that there are a LOT of Trump voters who are doing so because they're voting with their wallets... The Tea Party is still alive, only they aren't paying attention to the Big Bus politicians anymore.

Every so often, someone bitches about the prices at work. To which I respond, because I've basically quit caring... "Hey, I didn't vote for him." Virtually everyone smiles and agrees. And my store gets about 50% black customers. I still get people wearing King Obama t-shirts tho...

I have had VERY few technicolor hair folks bitch about the prices. But overall, they're a small percentage of the population.

I think that they are going to need to work VERY hard to steal it...
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 07:45:40 AM »
The judge is a he, and there is no jury in this type of court.
So we are running kangaroo courts after all. And then they wonder why respect for our institutions is on the decline.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2023, 09:23:39 AM »
So we are running kangaroo courts after all. And then they wonder why respect for our institutions is on the decline.

It's a bench trial for a civil lawsuit. Nothing out of the normal there.

Trump's legal team could have requested a trial by jury, but they didn't. I'm pretty sure Trump would have a hard time getting a sympathetic jury in NY and probably why they didn't.

Uranus is a gas giant.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2023, 09:56:39 AM »

Trump's legal team could have requested a trial by jury, but they didn't. I'm pretty sure Trump would have a hard time getting a sympathetic jury in NY and probably why they didn't.
I saw Trump standing outside saying he should have a jury. He made it sound like he was being denied a jury, but based on what you said, it was just Trump being Trump.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2023, 01:51:15 PM »

Considering some of the biased statements this judge has made, Trump's team probably should have tried a change of venue.
Either that or they are hoping to use that bias for an appeal later.
  ???
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2023, 02:10:09 PM »
Considering some of the biased statements this judge has made, Trump's team probably should have tried a change of venue.
Either that or they are hoping to use that bias for an appeal later.
  ???

If Trump loses, you can bet the farm he will appeal.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2023, 02:17:58 PM »
If Trump loses, you can bet the farm he will appeal.

This is a political prosecution.  Trump was guaranteed a loss before he set foot in that courtroom.  The judge is going to rule against him regardless what the evidence shows.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2023, 02:28:40 PM »
This is a political prosecution.  Trump was guaranteed a loss before he set foot in that courtroom.  The judge is going to rule against him regardless what the evidence shows.

I have a feeling that he truly guilty of the fraud charges and will lose on the appeal too. Most business tycoons are guilty of some sort of fraud if you dig deep enough. His empire will crumble and his name (and legacy) won't be the same, this will break Trump and his somewhat shallow ego.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2023, 04:23:27 PM »
I have a feeling that he truly guilty of the fraud charges and will lose on the appeal too. Most business tycoons are guilty of some sort of fraud if you dig deep enough. His empire will crumble and his name (and legacy) won't be the same, this will break Trump and his somewhat shallow ego.

He has been charged with overvaluing assets in the process of obtaining financing.  I am puzzled how that can be the case when 3rd party assessors usually establish collateral property valuations, not the party trying to obtain financing.  And given the fact that the prosecutor ran for office on the promise that she was going to "get Trump" one way or another, make the whole legal proceeding even more suspect in my opinion.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.