Author Topic: Computer foibles, round 4  (Read 1433 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Computer foibles, round 4
« on: October 05, 2023, 08:58:22 PM »
Or 5 ... or 6 ... or maybe ???

One of my co-workers has spent a LOT of time creating a spreadsheet to guide homeowners and small contractors through the process of figuring out what size pipe or tube they need to use for a gas line, based on the number of appliances, the Btu/H ratings, and the length of the pipe or tube from the gas meter or tank to the appliance(s). It involves some formulas, which he has put in protected cells -- the only cells left unlocked are the cells into which the project-specific variables are entered.

As a spreadsheet, it works as intended. The issue he has asked for help with is that we need it converted to a fillable, interactive PDF. He has converted it to a PDF from Excel, then he used Adobe Acrobat Professional to go in and clean up a few things. What we have now is a PDF that looks like an interactive, fillable PDF ... but it doesn't work. In either Adobe Reader or Acrobat, the data entry forms allow putting the cursor in the field, but won't accept any input. When I opened the form at home using a PDF reader/editor from another source, I was able to enter numbers in the data entry fields, but none of the calculations were performed.

I'm not even certain a PDF can run calculations. Does anyone know? If it can, does anyone have any suggestions of how we can get this thing functioning? This guy has expended a LOT of time on this, and he's really bummed out that after all his effort, it's dead in the water.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Cliffh

• friend
Re: Computer foibles, round 4
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 10:00:37 PM »
May be a dumb question, but why does it have to be a .pdf and not leave it as a spreadsheet?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 11:22:46 PM »
Because it's going to be distributed from our web site, and not everyone has Excel but just about everyone has (or can get for free) Adobe Reader. There are also some accompanying pages, and he thinks (and I agree) that it's easier and better to put everyting into one package rather than have people download a PDF with the reference material plus a separate file for the spreadsheet.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 11:43:53 PM »
PDF forms can absolutely calculate things but as far as I know their scripting and formulas is entirely distinct from Excel scripting and formulas. Maybe there is a tool to migrate from one to the other but I haven’t heard of it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 08:07:50 AM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 08:09:14 AM »
If he or his/your company is a legitimate purchaser of Adobe Acrobat Professional maybe check with Adobe, they may have a solution for that. Seems like they "should" at least give you an answer since they charge $$$$$$$$ for the darn thing.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 10:19:03 AM »
Our "company" is the municipal government. Our Acrobat is legal, but I doubt Adobe will talk to us because the IT department doesn't rent software. What we have is Acrobat 9 Professional, which was purchased rather than leased. I'm sure Adobe would tell us we'll need to "upgrade" to an Acrobat DC subscription before they can help us.

We're also using Microsoft Office 2019 rather than Microsoft 365, and that's fine with me.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2023, 11:29:06 AM »
Our "company" is the municipal government. Our Acrobat is legal, but I doubt Adobe will talk to us because the IT department doesn't rent software. What we have is Acrobat 9 Professional, which was purchased rather than leased. I'm sure Adobe would tell us we'll need to "upgrade" to an Acrobat DC subscription before they can help us.

We're also using Microsoft Office 2019 rather than Microsoft 365, and that's fine with me.

Acrobat 9 Pro.  Yeah, wow.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/end-support-acrobat-8-reader.html

Last updated on May 24, 2023 | Also Applies to Adobe Acrobat 9, Reader 9
As stated in the Adobe Support Lifecycle Policy, Adobe provides five years of product support, starting from the general availability date of Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat. In line with this policy, support for Adobe Reader 9.x and Adobe Acrobat 9.x ended on June 26 2013.

Your guy may need to spend some money, or look for an alternative PDF editor.  I'd be no help for that, unfortunatly.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2023, 11:32:30 AM »
v9 ?
Hmmm, maybe save the spreadsheet in an older Excel save file format and then try converting it? I know this can be done in many of the free office packages and older Office packages, not sure about newer Office though. Could be some code in the newer Excel save file the older Adobe doesn't understand.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 01:06:29 PM »
"ended on June 26, 2013"?
Hell, I'm still using Office 2000 on Win. 7 !!
  :rofl:  :old:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”