Author Topic: Line of Succession  (Read 3223 times)

JTHunter

• friends
Line of Succession
« on: October 06, 2023, 02:32:43 PM »
I don't remember how this is supposed to work but I have a question.
If something were to happen to the VP rendering them incapable of performing their duties, who/how would they be replaced?
Does the Speaker of the House move up or does somebody get "appointed" to fill-in the remainder of the term?
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Line of Succession
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 02:36:14 PM »
Back in the day when Agnew resigned Ford was appointed to replace him. When Nixon resigned Ford moved up to President and Rockefeller was appointed to be VP. At no time did the Speaker get moved up. At least that is what I remember.

bob

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 02:52:59 PM »
POTUS—> VPOTUS—> Speaker of the House—> Senate Pro-Tem —> various cabinet officials.

Any vacancies below POTUS are filled by appointments, and legislative body elections.  The only time there’s an automatic promotion is when the POTUS dies or resigns or is removed.  Whoever takes over as POTUS fills the VPOTUS role by appointment (with Senate confirmation).  If the potus successor was further down than VP then the house would have to elect a new speaker, if necessary the senate would have to designate a new pro-tem.  And then the new potus might need to appoint new cabinet officials.
Formerly sumpnz

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 05:09:35 PM »
Right now, if something happens to President Biden and Vice President Harris, the senior senator from Washington state, Patty Murray, is sworn in as President.  She is a liberal Democrat, so I would think this would spur on the Republican House to elect a new Speaker.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 05:31:35 PM »
If they eventually have to invoke the 25th Amendment for Biden . . . I shudder to think of who President Harris would try to get installed as VP.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 08:00:40 AM »
"If something were to happen to the VP rendering them incapable of performing their duties,"

I thing right now it's a foregone conclusion that Kamela Harris isn't at all capable of performing her duties as vice president, much less as a meter maid.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 09:52:59 PM »
"If something were to happen to the VP rendering them incapable of performing their duties,"

I thing right now it's a foregone conclusion that Kamela Harris isn't at all capable of performing her duties as vice president, much less as a meter maid.

Yeah but WHO would replace Harris ??  ???
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 09:58:01 PM »

Does it matter?
Formerly sumpnz

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 10:07:42 PM »
Does it matter?

Yeah.  I'm curious to find out who would be next in line.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 11:55:09 PM »

It depends. Right now, if Harris became president and then died before having a VP appointed and confirmed, because there is no Speaker of the House the presidency would fall to the President Pro Temps of the Senate.

If Harris were to become president and die after a VP was confirmed by the Senate, then the presidency would go to the newly-minted VP.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 12:00:09 AM »

It matters about as much as it would have with DiFi’s replacement, and McCarthy’s. 
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 07:11:51 AM »

Here you go... a perfect VP candidate who is equally Harris' intellect.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2023, 06:33:33 PM »
I'm sorry but it seems as if I'm not being clear enough.
Biden is still in office.  Harris either dies or is medically incapacitated.  With NO OTHER CHANGES, who would replace Harris in that situation???

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2023, 07:14:29 PM »
Biden is still in office.  Harris either dies or is medically incapacitated.  With NO OTHER CHANGES, who would replace Harris in that situation???

From the 25th Amendment:

Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

So Biden would nominate someone and both houses of congress would have to approve his choice - that's what happened when Ford replaced Agnew. I imagine there would be a lot of wrangling behind the scenes.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2023, 08:18:52 PM »
Hank is right.

As mentioned (by me) before, the only automatic promotion is VP (or whoever is next in line for succession of the VP is not available) to POTUS.  Whoever succeeds as POTUS would nominate a new VP and if Congress approves that’s it.  If the successor to POTUS was not the VP the Speaker would be replaced by vote of the house, likewise for the Senate Pro-tem.  Any cabinet position vacated for succession would be replaced by appointment and confirmation by the Senate.
Formerly sumpnz

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2023, 12:21:54 AM »

Whoever Biden['s handlers] nominates and gets confirmed by the Congress.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2023, 12:39:11 AM »
Whoever Biden['s handlers] nominates and gets confirmed by the Congress.

And it really doesn’t matter who that particular person is.  Because it will only be someone willing to do the bidding of their benefactor. 
Formerly sumpnz

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2023, 01:06:51 PM »
From the 25th Amendment:

Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

So Biden would nominate someone and both houses of congress would have to approve his choice - that's what happened when Ford replaced Agnew. I imagine there would be a lot of wrangling behind the scenes.

Thank you !
That was what I was wondering about from the beginning.
  =D