Author Topic: Israel Under Attack  (Read 115806 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Israel Under Attack
« Reply #1500 on: May 28, 2024, 09:36:47 AM »
I would urge caution in trusting that report at this point as MSNBC, and they're not the only one, parrots HAMAS propaganda extensively. Doesn't mean it's not true just don't trust the source.

Is your sarcasm meter broken?
Formerly sumpnz

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1501 on: May 28, 2024, 09:41:29 AM »
I don't trust the source either, except that Israel has apparently confirmed the attack.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1502 on: May 28, 2024, 10:11:19 AM »
This is a report from a CNBC reporter on the attack:

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/05/28/international-outcry-over-rafah-attack-piles-more-pressure-on-israel-.html

Once again, though, I don't have a lot of empathy for the alleged civilians as they have part and parcel supported Hamas and its continued aggression and provocation over the past decade.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1503 on: May 28, 2024, 11:40:04 AM »
Whooo boy it looks like Israel really stepped on its dick with this one. Even the Chinese have come out and registered their moral outrage...

https://www.msnbc.com/ana-cabrera-reports/watch/israeli-airstrike-kills-at-least-40-people-in-rafah-211696197699

Since he helpfully decided to stand in front of that Warping Tug for the report, I thought I'd throw a little context on that.  That's the same one we were looking at on page 60.  It looks like they got the LCM-8 off the beach.  (That larger vessel behind them is an LCU-2000 class landing craft, and could easilly pull the smaller vessels off the beach).  WT-20 there however, seems to have gone from broached and stuck, to sunk.  Which is not ideal.  You can see in the video that the hull has submerged as the tide came in, and it's bouncing a little bit in the surf.  Both of those things imply the hull is mostly full of water.  The WTs have low freeboard, and hatches on deck, so they can't take a lot of surf before they flood.  I suspect that's what happened.  The LCU hasn't pulled if off yet because they are figuring out how to pump it out so it doesn't finish sinking when they pull it off the beach.  Hard to say for sure without looking at it, but the longer it sits there bouncing in the surf, the likelier it is that vessel is totaled.  We have a limited number of Modular Causeway Systems (That's what the "floating pier" is called) and while the loss of one tug isn't catastrophic, if we break the MCS here, then we can't use it anywhere else we might need to put stuff ashore.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1504 on: May 28, 2024, 11:43:26 AM »
Is your sarcasm meter broken?

Maybe. Dealing with a plumbing issue on an over head drain pipe and being covered in crap from it can do that.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1505 on: May 29, 2024, 12:44:48 PM »
Palestinian-American nurse loses job at NYU after speech

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nyu-nurse-fired-speech-decrying-genocide-gaza-report

She said in her speech "I am proud to represent my mother’s and my grandmother’s upbringing through our tradition which obliges us to always hold space for warmth and compassion for all humans" while decrying the "genocide" happening in the Hamas-controlled areas.

She apparently didn't say thing one about holding space for warmth and compassion for the Israelis that Hamas slaughtered on October 7.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1506 on: May 29, 2024, 01:08:49 PM »

She said in her speech "I am proud to represent my mother’s and my grandmother’s upbringing through our tradition which obliges us to always hold space for warmth and compassion for all humans" while decrying the "genocide" happening in the Hamas-controlled areas.

She apparently didn't say thing one about holding space for warmth and compassion for the Israelis that Hamas slaughtered on October 7.

Or the fact most ME countries kicked out their Palestinians and aren't accepting refugees
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1507 on: May 29, 2024, 02:26:54 PM »

I read that article, and went to her IG post to hear her say:
As a Palestinian American Muslim woman in this country, I am proud to represent my mother’s and my grandmother’s upbringing through our tradition which obliges us to always hold space for warmth and compassion for all humans. It pains me to see the women from my country going through unimaginable losses themselves during the current genocide in Gaza, This award is deeply personal to me for those reasons. Even though I can’t hold their hands and comfort them as they grieve their unborn children and the children they have lost during this genocide, I hope to keep making them proud as I keep representing them here at NYU.

And I was like:  Really?  That's it?  Maybe not super appropriate for work, but firing offense?  Seems an overreaction.

Then I got farther into the article and got to:
Hesen Jabr was warned in December, following a previous incident, not to bring her views on this divisive and charged issue into the workplace," Ritea said in a statement. "She instead chose not to heed that at a recent employee recognition event that was widely attended by her colleagues, some of whom were upset after her comments. As a result, Jabr is no longer an NYU Langone employee.

According to the Times, however, Jabr has detailed on Facebook heated exchanges over politics on the labor and delivery floor of the hospital in recent months.

"The pure psychological warfare NYU has waged on me as a nurse, Muslim, Palestinian, and woman, has only left me resolute," Jabr wrote in one post.

Jabr's activism has dated back decades, according to the Times. When Jabr was an 11-year-old growing up in Louisiana, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) in 2001 filed a lawsuit on behalf of the "Muslim girl who was humiliated when she refused to accept a Bible handed out by her public school principal."

Oooh,  I get it now.  She's one of those that can't STFU, no matter what.  Good on NYU for doing the paperwork and getting out of that toxic relationship.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #1508 on: May 29, 2024, 02:44:43 PM »
^^^^^

Well at least she is free to follow her convictions and head for Gaza to give her support in a purposeful and positive way. Any bets she will take up that opportunity? ;)

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #1509 on: May 29, 2024, 09:24:33 PM »
I read that article, and went to her IG post to hear her say:
And I was like:  Really?  That's it?  Maybe not super appropriate for work, but firing offense?  Seems an overreaction.

Then I got farther into the article and got to:

Oooh,  I get it now.  She's one of those that can't STFU, no matter what.  Good on NYU for doing the paperwork and getting out of that toxic relationship.
That is my read of the situation as well.  She probably started a lot of those "heated exchanges". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1510 on: May 29, 2024, 09:39:11 PM »
That is my read of the situation as well.  She probably started a lot of those "heated exchanges".

I have no doubt.

I don't even need to be warned about not starting controversial discussions at work. My grandparents taught us from a very young age to always avoid discussions of religion and politics. I have always made it a point to follow that advice and, curiously enough, after 60+ years in the working world I have never been fired or even disciplined for disruptive behavior.

If I'm not being paid to advocate for [___], I don't feel any overwhelming urge to advocate for [___]. If I'm hired to perform a job, I view my role as to show up, do my job, and go home at the end of the day. I have too much work to do to waste time arguing over something I'll never convince other people about.

From the article:

Hesen Jabr, a nurse at NYU Langone Health, said she was terminated on May 22, the first day she arrived back on shift after delivering a speech on May 7 during Nurse's Week for her work with bereaved mothers who lost their children during pregnancy or childbirth.

Somehow I'm not seeing a lot of relevance between miscarriages or stillbirths, and Palestine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1511 on: May 30, 2024, 08:12:38 AM »
"Somehow I'm not seeing a lot of relevance between miscarriages or stillbirths, and Palestine."

Well that just means that you're a Jew-loving genocide supporting racist bastard!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1512 on: May 30, 2024, 09:41:50 AM »

Somehow I'm not seeing a lot of relevance between miscarriages or stillbirths, and Palestine.

Reach out to Ms. Jabr on Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/iknowwhythejaybirdsings/

I'm sure she could explain it to you in a succinct fashion.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1513 on: May 30, 2024, 09:56:07 AM »
"Somehow I'm not seeing a lot of relevance between miscarriages or stillbirths, and Palestine."

Well that just means that you're a Jew-loving genocide supporting racist bastard!

Reach out to Ms. Jabr on Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/iknowwhythejaybirdsings/

I'm sure she could explain it to you in a succinct fashion.

She'll call you either a racist or fascist and then do a victory dance and post to all her friends how she defeated another MAGA extreme right winger.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 10:18:58 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #1514 on: May 30, 2024, 04:02:57 PM »
"The pier took two months and $320m to build, lasted 12 days, and delivered less than 60 trucks' worth of food (most of which was stolen after it reached Gaza) before it broke and had to be towed away for repairs," Carlstrom wrote.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/former-msnbc-anchor-trashes-biden-after-320m-gaza-pier-falls-apart-what-bloody-s-show
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1515 on: May 30, 2024, 04:06:50 PM »
$320 million?  :facepalm:
Should have hired Elon to build it. Bet he could have built for less than a couple of million but the big guy and friends wouldn't have gotten their cut
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1516 on: May 30, 2024, 08:30:20 PM »
So, FTR, they didn't "build" it.  They used the US Army's Modular Causeway System.  As the name implies  the "pier", and the offshore parts, are modular floating barges that clip into each other to form a floating causeway.  They cam into theater on a transport ship, we're craned over the side, and fastened together whatever configuration is needed.

Ref: https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/mcs.htm

I'm pretty sure the whole damn thing didn't cost $320 million new to procure,  so I really don't know where the news is getting that number from.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #1517 on: May 30, 2024, 08:41:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure the whole damn thing didn't cost $320 million new to procure,  so I really don't know where the news is getting that number from.

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/only-the-pentagon-could-spend-640-on-a-toilet-seat/

I find the $320 million figure quite believable.
"... and now I want to hand it over to the president of Ukraine who has as much courage as he has determination.  Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin."
                          - Joe Biden, July 11, 2024

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1518 on: May 30, 2024, 08:47:45 PM »
I've been involved with budgeting for Joint Logistics Over The Shore exercises using that exact MCS.  It don't cost that much to deploy and emplace. 

I'm not saying they didn't spend $320 mil. But they didn't spend it on that MCS.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #1519 on: May 30, 2024, 08:56:48 PM »
https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/only-the-pentagon-could-spend-640-on-a-toilet-seat/

I find the $320 million figure quite believable.

The funny thing about that 640 dollar toilet seat, it wasn't just a seat, it was a fiberglass cover with compound curves, fasteners and was the part the "seat" was attached. It was large enough to have a bucket inside the enclosure. But the irony is it was seldom (very, very seldom) used because it wasn't a flush thing, it was a bucket with a bag in it. If you used it you had to empty it yourself and then you owed the crew a case of beer. With over 5000 hours in P3s I never used it and can only remember a couple of times it was used. even the females avoided it, they would use a cup and use that to transfer their liquid waste the the urinal or maybe straddle the urinal, I really have no idea. But yea, 640 dollars may have been excessive. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1520 on: May 30, 2024, 10:49:45 PM »

Why, thank you, Sir. I didn't know you cared.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1521 on: May 31, 2024, 06:48:22 AM »
Why, thank you, Sir. I didn't know you cared.

That's me, Mr. Caring.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #1522 on: May 31, 2024, 04:25:35 PM »
That's me, Mr. Caring.

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1523 on: June 02, 2024, 11:26:47 PM »
Nice people

Masked protester hoists ‘Kill Hostages Now’ sign during Israel Day parade in NYC
https://www.foxnews.com/us/masked-protester-hoists-kill-hostages-now-sign-during-israel-day-parade-nyc

- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1524 on: June 03, 2024, 12:07:49 PM »
Maldives banning Israelis from traveling there

Israel’s foreign ministry responded to Muizzu's ban by urging Israelis to stay away from the Maldives.

"For Israeli citizens already in the country, it is recommended to consider leaving, because if they find themselves in distress for any reason, it will be difficult for us to assist," the ministry said, according to Reuters.

Maldives bans Israelis from entering country during war in Gaza
https://www.foxnews.com/world/maldives-bans-israelis-from-entering-country-during-war-gaza
- Calvin and Hobbes

― George Orwell, 1984

― James Randi