Author Topic: Duke's mayo vs Hellman's/Best Foods  (Read 1319 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Duke's mayo vs Hellman's/Best Foods
« on: October 24, 2023, 02:08:11 PM »
A regional chain (Fred Meyer's, now owned by Kroger) just started carrying Duke's mayonnaise.  I know this is a Southern icon, but can anyone compare it to my usual brand Hellman's/Best Foods?  FYI that Hellman's is called that east of the Rockies and Best Foods west of the Rockies.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Duke's mayo vs Hellman's/Best Foods
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 02:50:44 PM »
Duke's has no added sugar, I don't believe. It's a bit more sour than most other mayos as a result.

Of all of them, I prefer Helmann's. It's creamier, smoother, and has a better taste. Heinz may is also good.

A few years ago Kraft changed their Mayo recipe and it is now absolutely disgusting.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 02:54:57 PM »
I know this is a Southern icon, but can anyone compare it to my usual brand Hellman's/Best Foods?

I like Duke's much better. Essentially it's just less sugar combined with more salt and lemon juice, but it really kicks up the flavor. Makes every other mayo except maybe Blue Plate taste bland by comparison. Definitely give it a try.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 05:02:37 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 04:42:05 PM »
Huh. I've been hearing all this "Duke's" stuff for years. If Fred is carrying it now, I might have to stop in and pick a jar up to finally try.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

castle key

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 06:52:55 PM »
Duh. Dukes. Always.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 06:55:45 PM »
Duh. Dukes. Always.

I remember having that discussion with you in the Food Lion as I was stocking up on some supplies for the apartment when I was staying with you all during Covid...

And I quote (as I picked up a bottle of Helmann's) "Unless you're paying for it AND eating it I'm buying Helmann's!"

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 06:57:29 PM »
Bring out the best
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 10:12:28 PM »
Blue Plate is way better than Duke's or Hellman's.

That being said, the upper Midwest is solidly Miracle Whip territory.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 05:32:30 PM »
My NC born and raised SWMBO does not allow any mayo other than Duke's in our house.  I agree with her on that.  It's good stuff.
When we were still living in Oregon, she used to mail order Duke's.  She absolutely would not eat any other mayonnaise.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 05:47:50 PM »
"It's got twang"   :laugh:  It's mayonnaise, they all taste about the same.  Duke's is perhaps a little more tart than Hellmann's or Best.  That's the twang, I suppose.  I usually buy the Aldi house brand (Burman?) and I don't know who makes it.

I use mayonnaise mostly for making devilled eggs, tuna salad, coleslaw, and chicken salad.  Whatever I'm making, I usually have to add just a little Miracle Whip to get it right.  (not all Miracle Whip, for some reason that's disgusting. Probably too sweet)
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 08:08:44 PM »
Burman's is OK. Supposedly it's actually made by Aldi, Inc.

I've never heard of Blue Plate mayo.

The local grocery chain, Giant, has a house branded mayo that's pretty decent. Not as good as Helmann's or Duke's, but TONS better than Kraft.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 10:12:28 PM »
Blue Plate Mayo is originally from New Orleans.

I first had it at a deer camp in Western Kentucky 2009 or so. The owner of the camp brought it with him from Georgia and made damn good biscuits with it too.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536