Author Topic: Lewiston, Maine shooting  (Read 3099 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Lewiston, Maine shooting
« on: October 25, 2023, 09:22:49 PM »
Reported at least 16 dead at multiple locations.
Suspect still at large

At least 16 people are dead in multiple shootings in Lewiston, Maine, Wednesday night, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

Fifty to 60 people are injured in the incidents, though it’s unclear how many are injured due to gunfire, the sources told CNN.

A suspect remains at large, the Androscoggin County Sheriff’s Office said in a post on Facebook.

“We are encouraging all businesses to lock down and or close while we investigate,” the sheriff’s office said earlier Wednesday evening.

16 people dead and suspect at large after multiple incidents in area of Lewiston, Maine, authorities say
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/25/us/lewiston-maine-shooting/index.html

Active shooter situation with multiple injuries at multiple locations in Lewiston, Maine
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12673433/Active-shooter-situation-multiple-injuries-multiple-locations-Lewiston-Maine.html

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
Re: Lewiston, Maine shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 09:37:32 PM »
At first I was surprised how fast the photos came out compared to other shootings but then read they did so in the hope someone can ID him since he's still at large.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 09:48:59 PM »
Now reported 22 dead.
*expletive deleted*ck
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 10:42:38 PM »
Biden has been briefed.
I feel better now
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 11:16:37 PM »
Suspect IDed

A massive manhunt is underway in Maine for an Army reserve firearms instructor who was sectioned this summer for mental health reasons, and is suspected of shooting dead 22 people on Wednesday night at multiple sites in Lewiston.

Robert Card, 40, from Bowdoin, Maine, was named by Maine state police as the suspect in the shootings at a bowling alley, restaurant and Walmart distribution center.

He was sectioned after saying he was hearing voices, and threatening to shoot up the National Guard base in Saco, Maine.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12673433/Active-shooter-situation-multiple-injuries-multiple-locations-Lewiston-Maine.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2023, 07:43:41 AM »
Still on the loose

- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2023, 09:34:25 AM »
Looks like he’s known by .gov and has mental issues.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 09:39:56 AM »
Besides the usual calls for gun bans, I think this one will really get the red flag stuff going, which way too many mainstream R politicians are fine with. Nevermind all the mental health reporting, including self-reporting, evidently, that went into this case and he was still out and about with firearm access.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 09:55:35 AM »
Schools are closed
Even a grocery chain

Hannaford Supermarkets, a major Northeast grocery chain, is keeping all of its stores in Maine closed Thursday morning as the search for a suspect in a fatal mass shooting in Lewiston continues.
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/lewiston-maine-shootings-active-shooter-10-25-23/index.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 10:23:06 AM »
Besides the usual calls for gun bans, I think this one will really get the red flag stuff going, which way too many mainstream R politicians are fine with. Nevermind all the mental health reporting, including self-reporting, evidently, that went into this case and he was still out and about with firearm access.

Yeah, this one seems to be perfect for pushing red flag laws.
Red flag laws have good intentions but they open the door to so much abuse.
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 10:59:25 AM »
I've been seeing a lot of comments on the news articles about why wasn't he red flagged and his guns confiscated.  Unless I misread the report, he checked himself into a mental health facility.  So red flag shouldn't apply.  (if he knew he was a danger, he should have had a friend store all of his guns except maybe a revolver, or sold them)  If you start punishing people for seeking help, they will stop doing so and incidents like this will increase.

It also implies they didn't do a very good job of treating him.  Or perhaps he stopped taking his antipsychotics because they were working and he thought he didn't need them. :(
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2023, 11:00:03 AM »
Revised count according to the gov from CNN.Com: 18 killed 13 injured

Now they're saying he could be in Massachusetts....armed with a night scope  :shock:
Look for revised calls to ban nightscopes
As officials were seen wheeling a body bag out of Schemengees on Thursday morning, audio from police dispatchers indicates they believe the suspect has crossed the border to Massachusetts - armed with a nightscope.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12675667/Girl-10-bullet-Maine-bowling-alley-massacre-injured-covered-blood-shooting.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2023, 11:09:18 AM »

This one actually seems prime to beat the ATF, FBI, and NICS on the nose repeatedly with a rolled up magazine.

Dude was committed.  We don't know the circumstances, but it's likely that "adjudicated mentally unfit" fits this situation to a Tee.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2023, 11:19:32 AM »
I kept looking at this and wondering what the optic was.
Doesn't look like a LPVO or similar but when they mentioned night scope I wonder if it's something similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Wraith-4-32x50-Digital-Riflescope/dp/B07MW21G53/ref=sr_1_4?crid=QFXOOSKB8JGQ&keywords=night%2Bscope%2Bfor%2Brifle&qid=1698333154&sprefix=nightsc%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4&th=1

Not saying it's the same one but similar. You can even make out what could be the IR light mounted on the top left of the scope.

From the Amazon link

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2023, 11:27:05 AM »
Jet ski? :O

Marine records seen by DailyMail.com show that Card registered a 2019 Sea Doo jet ski in his name in June, sparking fears that he could have used the watercraft to flee investigators after opening fire.

Maine State Police aircraft searched over a small area of the river in the early hours Thursday in a bid to find Card, who authorities say suffered from mental health issues.

They said a blue Chevy Suburban with a Maine registration plate 6625ZD believed to be carrying Card crossed into Massachusetts on the I-93 at 8:01 Thursday morning.

They described him as 'believed to be armed and dangerous'.

A shelter in place advisory has been expanded from Lewiston to Lisbon and Bowdoin, with residents urged to remain inside as the gunman remains at large.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12675779/Maine-bowling-alley-killer-Robert-Card-jet-ski-getaway.html

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2023, 11:34:00 AM »
Seven found dead at bowling alley, eight at restaurant and three died in hospital - police

There's some more detail now on those who were killed in the attack. "Eighteen people are now deceased at this time," Ross says.

There were seven people killed at the bowling alley, he goes on, one of those was female and six were male.

At the restaurant, eight were found dead: seven males inside and one male outside.

He says the cause of death for all 18 is apparent gunshot wounds.

Multiple people were taken to area hospitals, he says, but three of them died.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-67225016
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2023, 02:52:23 PM »
Another downside that has yet to be mentioned is that Maine is starting to reconsider its "openness" about guns.  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2023, 06:12:13 PM »
"The Maine mass shooter was a known gun-nut psycho"

"This shooting suspect, like so many others who are mentally disturbed, retained enough core competencies, enough cogency, to successfully maim and kill.

The White House, and the entire country, has lowered the flag. How about raising the bar for gun ownership?

How about finally addressing one of the greatest public health crises in America: The aggrieved white male — almost always the mass shooter profile — who takes out his failures, grievances and aggression on unwitting civilians and schoolchildren?"
"How could Mills not take this moment to note that the AR-15 rifle, a modified version used by this savage, is the favored weapon of mass shooters all over America — precisely because it kills so many so fast, its bullets designed to tear the human body apart, liquify vital organs, split skulls and turn bones into dust?

Perhaps because Governor Mills is compromised. Perhaps because she ran in 2018 on gun control legislation that she promptly abandoned upon winning her election. Perhaps because she wouldn’t even back a proposed ‘red flag’ law that would have enabled judges to temporarily block a troubled individual's access to guns. Instead, she compromised on a so-called ‘yellow flag’ alternative, which tells you all you need to know about the gun lobby in America."

There are no state-mandated background checks to buy a gun in Maine. No bans on assault rifles, high-capacity magazines, or bump stocks. You don’t need a permit to own a gun, neither for concealed or open-carry. There is no 3-day waiting period to purchase one. And no requirement that the guns of domestic abusers must be confiscated.

Yeah, I think you know where they want this conversation to go

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12677139/MAUREEN-CALLAHAN-Maine-mass-shooter-Robert-Card-known-gun-psycho-authorities-ignored-alarm-bells.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2023, 06:43:32 PM »
Something going on......maybe

Loud bangs were heard at the home of Maine mass shooter Robert Card's parents on Thursday evening, with the FBI encircling the property and demanding anyone inside come out.

The road to the rural home was blocked, NewsNation reported, and police using megaphones said: 'FBI - open the door. FBI - come out now.'

Card, 40, has been on the run since murdering 18 people on Wednesday night in Lewiston, 15 miles from his Bowdoin home.

It emerged on Thursday he may have been searching for his ex at the bowling alley and bar where he opened fire.

Loud bangs heard at home belonging to Maine shooter Robert Card's parents - as it's revealed he may have been looking for his EX at bowling alley and bar where he murdered 18, his sister tells cops, who found note in his home
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12677525/Robert-Card-note-home-maine-shooter.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »
Maybe we should stop giving these monsters the public attention they crave.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2023, 10:46:38 AM »
Maybe we should stop giving these monsters the public attention they crave.

In this case I don't think it's attention he's seeking, I think he's a full on wack job. Reading he was saying his hearing aid allowed him to hear people at the alley and bar talking about him and that he was looking for his ex. Also reading family is saying he left a suicide note.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2023, 10:49:26 AM »
You may be right then.

But giving this monster attention will attract the monsters that do crave attention.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2023, 10:50:48 AM »
On the news this morning they said that a boat he owns is missing. Maybe escape attempt or suicide at sea. Though they didn't say what kind of boat or if he kept it on the coast. I supposed he could have gone down the river, but I'd assume they'd be searching there.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2023, 10:53:52 AM »
Something going on......maybe

Loud bangs heard at home belonging to Maine shooter Robert Card's parents - as it's revealed he may have been looking for his EX at bowling alley and bar where he murdered 18, his sister tells cops, who found note in his home
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12677525/Robert-Card-note-home-maine-shooter.html

Well he certainly has the police chasing ghosts

FBI agents staged a dramatic raid on a family property on Thursday night but Card, 40, remains on the run - as experts warned that the 40-year-old deer hunter and Army reservist was well equipped to survive in the wild, and could even be planning a new attack.

It now emerges he left behind his cell phone, to avoid detection, ABC News reported.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12679215/Did-Maine-gunman-target-deaf-friends-Robert-Card-recently-given-hearing-aids-claimed-let-hear-people-criticizing-bowling-alley-bar-murdered-three-deaf-friends-15-others.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2023, 11:00:06 AM »
And it looks like the MSM have their "far right extremist" and "gun nut" they've been dying for. Note the quotes
Expect this to be front and center in much of the MSM reporting

And his online search history contained conspiracy theories, plus showed fears about a financial crisis and plunge in the stock market; LGBTQ+ issues; gun rights and commentary about Democratic public officials, including President Joe Biden, ABC News said.

One neighbor told The Messenger that the Card family's arrangement was 'basically a compound', and he and his relatives were all 'gun-toting enthusiasts'.

'They would shoot guns all the time, you could hear them every day after school. It was like clockwork,' said Liam Kent.

He said he once saw Card 'covered in blood with a gun on his back, a giant grin on his face' after going deer hunting.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12679215/Did-Maine-gunman-target-deaf-friends-Robert-Card-recently-given-hearing-aids-claimed-let-hear-people-criticizing-bowling-alley-bar-murdered-three-deaf-friends-15-others.html

An account on the social media platform X with Card’s name and a photo that appears to be him, which has been taken offline, had a history of liking right-wing and Republican political content. 

When WNBA player Brittney Griner was released from Russian detention after a prisoner exchange for a convicted arms dealer, the account posted what appeared to be its only tweet. Responding to a CNBC story about the topic, the account wrote: “Mass murderer for a wnba player great job keep up the good work,” in an apparent jab at President Joe Biden.

The account liked a tweet earlier this year from right-wing author and filmmaker Dinesh D’Souza arguing against an assault weapons ban, as well as other tweets from political figures like Donald Trump Jr. and Tucker Carlson.  
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/26/us/maine-shooting-suspect-invs/index.html
- Calvin and Hobbes